Niche Question on the DC Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Does the common rule of grades and school mattering most when applying for 2L summer positions change at all for the DC law firms that focus on lobbying? Specifically with offices like Patton Boggs, Akin Gump, Holland Knight, and K&L Gates?

I am median at a T2, but had Capitol Hill experience on committees/with members that lobbying shops would take an interest in. Will that get my foot in the door with those DC law firms or is it still mainly about grades and school?

I am thinking of calling in favors from some Chiefs of Staff to forward resume to lobbyist/partners, but don't want to use that if the chance is near zero.

Thoughts?

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:05 pm

Probably better off saving your favors - chances are near zero. Those firms are all competitive and there are dozens of well-connected people from T14s ahead of you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:52 pm

OP here. Thanks for the response.

I wasn't putting too much weight on the favor aspect, since yes, everyone is connected (I just didn't want to uselessly use them). I was mainly curious whether the Hill experience would outweigh T2 school enough. I see some anecdotes of associates from T1/T2 schools in those firms, but am trying to figure out f it's 1) random luck 2) great grades 3) senator's son/daughter 4) past hill experience.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7650
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the response.

I wasn't putting too much weight on the favor aspect, since yes, everyone is connected (I just didn't want to uselessly use them). I was mainly curious whether the Hill experience would outweigh T2 school enough. I see some anecdotes of associates from T1/T2 schools in those firms, but am trying to figure out f it's 1) random luck 2) great grades 3) senator's son/daughter 4) past hill experience.


Probably the bold in addition to hill experience, mainly.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am

hill experience won't help get BL screeners. you should try to get those connections to get you a job as a lobbyist.

The people from non-T14s you see in DC BL are some combination of:
1) Hired pre-2008
2) Top grades, which you can tell from their bio: clerkships, latin honors, LR
3) Laterals from bigfed in a niche regulatory field (FCC/SEC/FERC/FINRA)
4) IP

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am

Median from T2 has no shot at DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm

pancakes3 wrote:hill experience won't help get BL screeners. you should try to get those connections to get you a job as a lobbyist.

The people from non-T14s you see in DC BL are some combination of:
1) Hired pre-2008
2) Top grades, which you can tell from their bio: clerkships, latin honors, LR
3) Laterals from bigfed in a niche regulatory field (FCC/SEC/FERC/FINRA)
4) IP


This is on point. But what was the scenario pre-2008 for hiring?

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Raise your grades and aim for 3L hiring. Can you pull yourself to top 1/3 or top 1/4 over the course of 2L/3L?

Then after 3L first semester or during Fall 3L, call in those favors to get people to look at your resume. Nobody will see that you were median at some point, only that you are top 1/4 with connections and WE.

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby wwwcol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Raise your grades and aim for 3L hiring. Can you pull yourself to top 1/3 or top 1/4 over the course of 2L/3L?

Then after 3L first semester or during Fall 3L, call in those favors to get people to look at your resume. Nobody will see that you were median at some point, only that you are top 1/4 with connections and WE.


Two thoughts: 1) Top 1/4 at a T2 is still nowhere near competitive for the firms OP mentioned, and 2) 3L OCI is not worth your time unless you have an offer from a 2L SA.

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:41 pm

wwwcol wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:Raise your grades and aim for 3L hiring. Can you pull yourself to top 1/3 or top 1/4 over the course of 2L/3L?

Then after 3L first semester or during Fall 3L, call in those favors to get people to look at your resume. Nobody will see that you were median at some point, only that you are top 1/4 with connections and WE.


Two thoughts: 1) Top 1/4 at a T2 is still nowhere near competitive for the firms OP mentioned, and 2) 3L OCI is not worth your time unless you have an offer from a 2L SA.


I won't argue about top 1/4 at T2 because I'm unaware but 3L OCI isn't what I'm referring to, more like 3L mass mail or calling connex to give you interviews.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:hill experience won't help get BL screeners. you should try to get those connections to get you a job as a lobbyist.

The people from non-T14s you see in DC BL are some combination of:
1) Hired pre-2008
2) Top grades, which you can tell from their bio: clerkships, latin honors, LR
3) Laterals from bigfed in a niche regulatory field (FCC/SEC/FERC/FINRA)
4) IP


This is on point. But what was the scenario pre-2008 for hiring?


Before the recession, it was a more generous legal market and includes an extended hiring period (ALL hiring before 2008 vs only in the last 7 years in a recovering recession) so it inflates the perception of non-T14 hiring than is actually the case - if you're going off solely a website's bios.

This is especially true for DC-area TTT's like AU and Catholic where you might see as many partners from AU/Catholic as there are from any number of T14's (or even more partners) and think - hey, I'll have a shot since I attend AU/Catholic. That may have been true in the 80's but not in 2016.

Tangentially, and anecdotally, I recently learned that there was a massive uptick in law school enrollment and hiring in the 5ish years following Watergate back in '74. So hiring does ebb and flow and sometimes for unforeseeable and freak reasons.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 am

OP here.

Thanks everyone. Good advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm an associate at one of the firms you listed and have done work in the lobbying group of my firm, although i'm in general corporate.

my two cents: apply anyway and lean on your connections. It will be an uphill battle but those groups are so much about who you know. If you have prior experience on the hill, reach out and grab coffee/lunch with your connections and try to get them to go to bat for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate at one of the firms you listed and have done work in the lobbying group of my firm, although i'm in general corporate.

my two cents: apply anyway and lean on your connections. It will be an uphill battle but those groups are so much about who you know. If you have prior experience on the hill, reach out and grab coffee/lunch with your connections and try to get them to go to bat for you.


OP here-- any chance you could post off anon so I can message you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320593
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Niche Question on the DC Market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:38 pm

.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.