How long do large firms take to call you for a 2nd round?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long do large firms take to call you for a 2nd round?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

Im a newbie trying to lateral. Had a first round interview with senior partners 3 days ago. If I did not get invited for a second round interview by now, is it safe to assume I will be dinged? If it matters, it is at a fairly large firm of about 800 attorneys nationwide with my interviewing office located in a major market.

Anonymous User

Re: How long do large firms take to call you for a 2nd round?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:21 pm

on the flip side, can I email the interviewing partner to say that I am still interested? or does this come off too desperate?

3lptr

New

Postby 3lptr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:00 am

I don't think you should. The wait is tough, but they'll call you if they want you and 3 days is way too soon to follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:32 pm

I recently lateraled and went through the interview process at a number of firms including some huge national ones.

Generally speaking I heard back that day or the next day about moving on in the process. There was one big firm that took a week or so to invite me back for a second round. That being said, I used a recruiter who would follow up for me. Without her, things might have taken longer. If you have a screener in the future it could be worth it to shoot off a quick thank you email to either the attorney or the recruiting manager of the office depending on what feels right. I'm generally not a fan of thank you emails but this is one time where it might actually make sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm

If it's been 6 days, would it be okay to follow up with an email or are they preparing a ding letter? If so, how should the email look?

3lptr

New

Postby 3lptr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 pm

What purpose would it serve besides possibly annoying them or making you look desperate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 am

op here. i chalked it off and decided not to email. i figured i also would want to work at a firm that likes me and wants me there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:op here. i chalked it off and decided not to email. i figured i also would want to work at a firm that likes me and wants me there.

FWIW, I had a screener phone interview with a firm and hadn't heard back in about a week. I followed-up via email after 8 business days and had a callback scheduled within 24 hours. The recruiter was just really busy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 pm

It has been 12 days. Is it okay to email the interviewing partner to ask if the position has already been filled?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It has been 12 days. Is it okay to email the interviewing partner to ask if the position has already been filled?

Why would you? You worried they will forget about your interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It has been 12 days. Is it okay to email the interviewing partner to ask if the position has already been filled?

yes. she forgot about the initial interview as well after emailing me she would call me to set up the time. I had to email her after a week and she called me the next day. im just not sure if it takes this long to either get a call back or ding. i just wanna know the answer either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yes. she forgot about the initial interview as well after emailing me she would call me to set up the time. I had to email her after a week and she called me the next day. im just not sure if it takes this long to either get a call back or ding. i just wanna know the answer either way.

In the whole history of firms, no one has forgotten about someone they wanted to hire. Put differently, no one has gotten a job by following up with an email after 2 weeks. They are just not that into you. Move on.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have a recruiting contact? If it bothers you this much, I might reach out to them. Just try not to sound overly desperate or pessimistic.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:57 pm

When I was doing OCI I got a email for a CB with a TBD date. 3 weeks passed so I emailed to follow up for a date. They emailed me back right away and set one up. Turned out they did their CB really late and I was the first one in the door.

Make a judgment call. Are you genuinely of the belief a follow up is necessary or is your fear or no job itch kicking in?

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Firms just blow you off instead of dinging you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:59 am

Bluem_11 wrote:When I was doing OCI I got a email for a CB with a TBD date. 3 weeks passed so I emailed to follow up for a date. They emailed me back right away and set one up. Turned out they did their CB really late and I was the first one in the door.

Make a judgment call. Are you genuinely of the belief a follow up is necessary or is your fear or no job itch kicking in?

i think the latter. however i did have a great interview with another firm last week so I am really banking on that. Either way I just really would like an offer now. It's starting to get stressful.

Return to “Legal Employment�