HLS Bidlist Critique

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS Bidlist Critique

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:45 pm

1H/9P at HLS. For those unfamiliar with HLS's grading policy, that put me at the bottom of my class (median is 3-4Hish).

We have 35 bids and I blanketed NY firms with a summer class larger than 25 people. Currently, the following firms (all have a large summer class but more grades selective) are on my bid list. I am wondering if I should swap some of them for firms that are less selective but with a smaller summer class (Mayer Brown, Pillsbury, Norton Rose etc). Is it a good strategy? If yes, which firms in this list should I keep (i.e. I have a realist chance)?

Covington
Davis Polk
Gibson Dunn
Paul Weiss
Wilmer
Cleary
Kirkland
Latham
Skadden
Weil Gotshal
Debevoise
Sidley Austin

I am posting here as the HLS EIP thread is by and large dead with most 3Ls busy with bar review. Thanks for any input!

Edit: KJD; average interview skills

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: HLS Bidlist Critique

Postby wwwcol » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:55 pm

1h is below median but you should be fine if you're a decent interviewer. I don't know all that much about NYC corporate but the list looks fine to me. And from what I gather it's a better strategy to bid on large classes since they have more spots to offer.

Not sure what was up with the random steptoe DC bid. That's almost certainly a waste w your grades and interests. And to the extent you're intersted in Boston, add ropes and gray since they love HLS, arnt that grade picky, and have the largest class by far in Boston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 am

To piggyback on this thread, since I'm in a similar situation, any thoughts on my bid list?

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, any advice on this bid list? 1H, the rest Ps. Bidding mostly NYC with a few nominal firms in LA because of family. Interested in transactional work.

1 Debevoise NYC
2 MoFo NYC
3 O'Melveny NYC
4 Sidley NYC
5 Ropes NYC
6 O'Melveny LA
7 Schulte NYC
8 Kaye NYC
9 Cleary NYC
10 Proskauer NYC
11 Winston & Strawn NYC
12 Covington NYC
13 White & Case NYC
14 Davis Polk NYC
15 Shearman NYC
16 Morgan Lewis NYC
17 Paul Hastings NYC
18 Kramer Levin NYC
19 DLA Piper NYC
20 Katten NYC
21 Weil NYC
22 Jones Day NYC
23 Orrick NYC
24 Akin NYC
25 Fried Frank NYC
26 Goodwin NYC
27 Dechert NYC
28 WilmerHale NYC
29 Clifford Chance NYC
30 Baker Botts NYC
31 Mintz Levin NYC
32 Skadden LA
33 Cooley LA
34 Sidley LA
35 Latham LA

Too conservative? Not conservative enough? I have no real idea what I'm doing so any advice would be appreciated :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 am

wwwcol wrote:1h is below median but you should be fine if you're a decent interviewer. I don't know all that much about NYC corporate but the list looks fine to me. And from what I gather it's a better strategy to bid on large classes since they have more spots to offer.

Not sure what was up with the random steptoe DC bid. That's almost certainly a waste w your grades and interests. And to the extent you're intersted in Boston, add ropes and gray since they love HLS, arnt that grade picky, and have the largest class by far in Boston

Thanks for the input! I added steptoe simply because they have a large summer class. Already take them off the list.

Return to “Legal Employment�