How long after "the talk"?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long after "the talk"?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:14 pm

6th year biglaw associate here. Group is slow. I was given the talk re low hours a month ago. I've heard 2 others have recently been spoken to as well (indication of stealth layoffs?)

So, how long do I have if hours stay about the same - couple more months? If I boost hours, do I have a chance of staying?

Anonymous User

Re: How long after "the talk"?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:6th year biglaw associate here. Group is slow. I was given the talk re low hours a month ago. I've heard 2 others have recently been spoken to as well (indication of stealth layoffs?)

So, how long do I have if hours stay about the same - couple more months? If I boost hours, do I have a chance of staying?

My experience is that you have less than six months, likely three. I have worked as a paralegal at a lot of firms, and have seen this happen in good economies and bad. The reality is that your hours are not going to get up, because they are slowly destaffing you such that you can't hit hours, most likely. And even if you do have one or two more heavy months, you're already behind.

Get out as fast as you can. It's better to jump than to be pushed. Apply like a demon, even from work, during work hours. I am sorry to be harsh, but...I promise, the sooner you stop grasping to hold onto this job, the better off you will be. You can lateral or go in house...just get out. Seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:6th year biglaw associate here. Group is slow. I was given the talk re low hours a month ago. I've heard 2 others have recently been spoken to as well (indication of stealth layoffs?)

You never know. Sometimes the "talk" doesn't mean they want you gone, but that they genuinely just want you to bill more. I got "the talk" regarding hours at my 3rd year review in December. Other associates were just given the boot with no talk beforehand.

I was already planning on leaving and had been slacking a bit - a bit under the 2,000 target for the year with a noticeable drop off in the months immediately preceeding. When I eventually left in October, they were actually really wanting me to stay- they were about to put me on a massive project. I suppose it could have been hot air, but the project and my participation came up before I announced my departure.

But I do agree it's time to start looking. Even if they don't want you gone, you want a place where they think you are a star, not someone who needs improvement.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 pm

The "talk" is usually "you've got three months." You got the pre-talk that is setting you up for the talk. You'll probably get the talk at your next review if its within 6 months, maybe sooner.

I'd lateral ASAP. 6th years are a lot more marketable than 7.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:11 am

OP here: Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned the talk included being offered more work. That made it seem as though the firm wants to try to retain me.

Regardless, agree it's wise to start looking. I had an inkling the talk probably meant 3-6 months for reassessment or final decision, and that seems to be the general sentiment here.

Return to “Legal Employment�