San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 pm

San Francisco seems to be the slowest and least predictable out of the Big 5 cities (NY/Chi/DC/SF/LA). I think a thread dedicated to SF can help people like me keep track of what applicants San Francisco firms are screening, giving call backs, and extending offers.

T25 Top 10% (strong ties, went to Berkeley for undergrad), my school has a small off campus interview program in SF (4 Firms 100% preselect). I got a screening interview with all four; Orrick, Baker & McKenzie, Skadden, and Morgan Lewis.

No luck with mass mail as of yet, but I've gotten bites from Los Angeles.

bananaphone

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby bananaphone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

I'm also participating, top 16% at T25 with very strong background in VC/Entrepreneurship and decent family ties to CA. I'm 4/4 with screeners.

How many spots do you believe these firms are devoting to hiring through this round? I was told by the coordinator of the program there were 54 interviews total among all 4 firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm

I suspect these firms will want strong ties to SF given that they also hire and do campus visits to Stanford/Berkeley/USC/UCLA/Hastings/Davis. How many calls back are they going to give out, I don't know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:07 pm

STB and Latham SV are doing pre-OCI callbacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:17 pm

White & Case SV is also doing pre-oci screeners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:51 am

Any offers come out of the Bay Area yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

McDermott, Will, Emery is doing callbacks

User avatar
Calbears123

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Calbears123 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:43 pm

Any offers from Skadden PA? Had a CB but radio silence

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Any updates? I'm sitting in limbo post CB from Morgan Lewis. Is the Bay Area generally slow at offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates? I'm sitting in limbo post CB from Morgan Lewis. Is the Bay Area generally slow at offers?


Other places on this board have reported S&C and Skadden SV offers going out.

Personally I have had S&C and W&C CB with no ding or offer.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby dabigchina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 pm

skadden hiring committee meets every wednesday. If you have been waiting more than a week or 2 it might not look good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:01 pm

dabigchina wrote:skadden hiring committee meets every wednesday. If you have been waiting more than a week or 2 it might not look good.


Had a CB with Skadden on a Wednesday and they told me their hiring committee meets on Friday.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby dabigchina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:skadden hiring committee meets every wednesday. If you have been waiting more than a week or 2 it might not look good.


Had a CB with Skadden on a Wednesday and they told me their hiring committee meets on Friday.

Palo Alto? They told me Wednesday. Either way, more than 1 week is prob not great.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:18 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:skadden hiring committee meets every wednesday. If you have been waiting more than a week or 2 it might not look good.


Had a CB with Skadden on a Wednesday and they told me their hiring committee meets on Friday.

Palo Alto? They told me Wednesday. Either way, more than 1 week is prob not great.


Ya PA, and I agree I've been waiting almost 3 weeks now. I check my mail/e-mail everyday for a ding, but nothing. I had a good CB but only come from a T25, so I guess I'm waitlisted for now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:58 am

Any offers from Orrick SF or PA following the super callback?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:42 pm

anybody feel like it's especially brutal this year in the bay area? i can't tell if i've struck out or if firms are legitimately just taking longer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from Orrick SF or PA following the super callback?


What is the super callback?

I got an offer from Orrick PA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody feel like it's especially brutal this year in the bay area? i can't tell if i've struck out or if firms are legitimately just taking longer.


Wondering the same thing. I was told that I should hear back by the end of last week. So far nothing. I am assuming that those of us who haven't heard either way are waitlisted. Can't imagine firms are taking this long to send out their first round of offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from Orrick SF or PA following the super callback?


What is the super callback?

I got an offer from Orrick PA.


When did you get the offer? There was a firm-wide callback where they had multiple candidates come in at the same time and rotate interviewers last Thurs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:03 pm

For what it is worth I'm pretty sure that Orrick just sent out a lot of offers (or decided to send out a lot) just based on the fact they finally sent a post-screener ding to me after like 4.5 weeks and that their big cb day just ended.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody feel like it's especially brutal this year in the bay area? i can't tell if i've struck out or if firms are legitimately just taking longer.


Wondering the same thing. I was told that I should hear back by the end of last week. So far nothing. I am assuming that those of us who haven't heard either way are waitlisted. Can't imagine firms are taking this long to send out their first round of offers.

Had that happen at 2 firms already. Gotta wonder why they say "end of the week", if they know that's not going to happen for a lot of candidates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody feel like it's especially brutal this year in the bay area? i can't tell if i've struck out or if firms are legitimately just taking longer.


Wondering the same thing. I was told that I should hear back by the end of last week. So far nothing. I am assuming that those of us who haven't heard either way are waitlisted. Can't imagine firms are taking this long to send out their first round of offers.

Had that happen at 2 firms already. Gotta wonder why they say "end of the week", if they know that's not going to happen for a lot of candidates.


So I have to think that the latest would be 28 days from the "end of the week."

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from Orrick SF or PA following the super callback?


What is the super callback?

I got an offer from Orrick PA.


When did you get the offer? There was a firm-wide callback where they had multiple candidates come in at the same time and rotate interviewers last Thurs.


Oh I didn't know that, nor was I a part of it. I got an offer 7 days ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:05 pm

has anyone heard from Fenwick & West?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316651
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: San Francisco / Silicon Valley 2016 Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard from Fenwick & West?


Yes, dinged today (sadly)



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.