Vault Hours Rankings

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
monalisa

New

Vault Hours Rankings

Postby monalisa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 pm

What do Vault Hours Rankings mean? Do the high ranks = less hours worked or more hours worked?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Re: Vault Hours Rankings

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Humans generally prefer to work fewer hours, rather than as many as possible.

But vault rankings, especially of these variety, should play no role in your firm decision.

monalisa

New

Postby monalisa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Yea, okay, it does look like the higher the ranking, the lower the hours because it's under criteria for "best firms to work for," and the firms aren't necessarily the "highest name-brand firms." What's wrong with Vault rankings though?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 pm

monalisa wrote:Yea, okay, it does look like the higher the ranking, the lower the hours because it's under criteria for "best firms to work for," and the firms aren't necessarily the "highest name-brand firms." What's wrong with Vault rankings though?

Vault rankings are derived from information reported by associates themselves, some of whom may not understand yet how things work at their firm, some of which don't know enough about other firms to actually accurately give ratings of any kind to those firms (you're "discouraged" from doing so, but, come on), some of which clearly have an interest in making their firm look as good as possible, even if their firm objectively sucks, etc.

Once you're in a firm and have a chance to fill out the survey, you'll see. It has value in very specific instances, but it probably should not be used by the majority of people going into law.

GenericLawApplicant

New

Postby GenericLawApplicant » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
monalisa wrote:Yea, okay, it does look like the higher the ranking, the lower the hours because it's under criteria for "best firms to work for," and the firms aren't necessarily the "highest name-brand firms." What's wrong with Vault rankings though?

Vault rankings are derived from information reported by associates themselves, some of whom may not understand yet how things work at their firm, some of which don't know enough about other firms to actually accurately give ratings of any kind to those firms (you're "discouraged" from doing so, but, come on), some of which clearly have an interest in making their firm look as good as possible, even if their firm objectively sucks, etc.

Once you're in a firm and have a chance to fill out the survey, you'll see. It has value in very specific instances, but it probably should not be used by the majority of people going into law.

What instances is it good for, in your opinion?

thesealocust

Platinum

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:49 am

Typically the Vault rankings are O.K. for figuring out what the market thinks about big firms doing big work in big markets. It's sort of O.K. for comparing transactional law practices in New York, for example.

Much beyond that, Vault's mechanical shortcomings (read: the fact that it's just a survey of shit-for-brains associates) mean you can't rely on it for too much information.

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:38 am

I have seen a good number of various V rankings but never one comparing hours, where is the link to that stat? Thx.

(My experience is that V hours = 2,000 ― give or take a little. It is a high number considering that most V offer 4 weeks vacation).

monalisa

New

Postby monalisa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Toni V wrote:I have seen a good number of various V rankings but never one comparing hours, where is the link to that stat? Thx.

(My experience is that V hours = 2,000 ― give or take a little. It is a high number considering that most V offer 4 weeks vacation).

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... sRankID=31

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 pm

monalisa wrote:What do Vault Hours Rankings mean? Do the high ranks = less hours worked or more hours worked?

The higher the Vault Hours Ranking, the higher the quality of the hours worked. The lower the Vault Hours Ranking, the lower the quality.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 pm

hey why no V10 on the list? I call BS

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 pm

monalisa wrote:
Toni V wrote:I have seen a good number of various V rankings but never one comparing hours, where is the link to that stat? Thx.

This seems like an EXTREMELY random list of firms. I can't think of anythingthey really have in common, based on general reputation. Certainly not low hours.

??????????

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:04 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
monalisa wrote:

This seems like an EXTREMELY random list of firms. I can't think of anythingthey really have in common, based on general reputation. Certainly not low hours.

I would say the firms generally have excellence in common. As I stated, this particular ranking is about hours quality, not quantity.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Clients fleeing these firms in droves, wondering why they were paying these overcompensated associates to work lifestyle firm hours.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
monalisa wrote:

??????????

I have never heard anyone describe Fried Frank or Paul Hastings as having anything like humane hours.

Is there any firm paying market comp with an hours expectation under 1950?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
monalisa wrote:

??????????

I have never heard anyone describe Fried Frank or Paul Hastings as having anything like humane hours.

Is there any firm paying market comp with an hours expectation under 1950?

Sure, in many secondary markets 1950 would be a slightly above average target

Still not sure I buy this list though even under R Putin's explanation. Your hours are going to be higher quality at Munger or Paul Hastings than WinstonStrawn or whatever other fucking run of the mill big lit firm? Or, compared to smaller lit boutiques that don't make vault's list at all? Yea ok...

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Wtf does quality even mean? "We're still working you like a dog, but our matters are FAR more prestigious than a V43 firm, so it feels better right? Doesn't that help you sleep at night? CAN'T YOU JUST TASTE THE PRESTIGE????"

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:24 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Wtf does quality even mean? "We're still working you like a dog, but our matters are FAR more prestigious than a V43 firm, so it feels better right? Doesn't that help you sleep at night? CAN'T YOU JUST TASTE THE PRESTIGE????"

You're missing the point. The general Vault rankings are about mindless prestige. But these "Vault Hours Rankings" are about substance. These are the rankings that everyone should be looking at closely. We all want quality hours.

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:20 am

rpupkin wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
monalisa wrote:

I would say the firms generally have excellence in common. As I stated, this particular ranking is about hours quality, not quantity.

You serious, Clark? "Excellence in common" lol. It is clearly about better hours and lifestyle. Even the header says, "Prestige isn't everything. These are the firms associates find the most amenable to a satisfying work experience." O'Melveny is #1 and they recently were also ranked...#1 for lifestyle in another ranking.

Adams and Reese is #8. Be honest: Have you even heard of them before the Vault ranking that you just read? Because they have never even been in the V100. They are a good regional firm for the Gulf states, but you are telling me the quality of hours an associate in Mobile, Alabama or Baton Rouge is on point with the rest of the list? The associates I know there enjoy it because the hours are actually low; they can do happy hour almost every day, and hell, sometimes they have happy hour at the office. So yeah, they enjoy the hours and lifestyle, not because they are defending a local newspaper and think their hours are all quality.

The most selective firm rankings are going to be more meaningful for substance/prestigiousness of the hours and deals worked, but whatever you want to fit your narrative here of "excellence in common!!!"

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 pm

deadpanic wrote:
rpupkin wrote:I would say the firms generally have excellence in common. As I stated, this particular ranking is about hours quality, not quantity.

You serious, Clark? "Excellence in common" lol. It is clearly about better hours and lifestyle. Even the header says, "Prestige isn't everything. These are the firms associates find the most amenable to a satisfying work experience." O'Melveny is #1 and they recently were also ranked...#1 for lifestyle in another ranking.

Adams and Reese is #8. Be honest: Have you even heard of them before the Vault ranking that you just read? Because they have never even been in the V100. They are a good regional firm for the Gulf states, but you are telling me the quality of hours an associate in Mobile, Alabama or Baton Rouge is on point with the rest of the list?

LJL @ your lack of prestige awareness. Most TLS'ers have never heard of Adams and Reese because the firm is too prestigious and selective to be on anyone's radar. I bet you applied there and got no response, and now you're bitter. Sad!

And, yes, Vault's header says "prestige isn't everything." But Vault is clearly paraphrasing Vince Lombardi: Prestige isn't everything; it's the only thing. This particular ranking is about pure prestige--i.e., the quality of your hours--and not about mere superficial prestige.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
rpupkin wrote:I would say the firms generally have excellence in common. As I stated, this particular ranking is about hours quality, not quantity.

Adams and Reese is #8. Be honest: Have you even heard of them before the Vault ranking that you just read? Because they have never even been in the V100. They are a good regional firm for the Gulf states, but you are telling me the quality of hours an associate in Mobile, Alabama or Baton Rouge is on point with the rest of the list?

LJL @ your lack of prestige awareness. Most TLS'ers have never heard of Adams and Reese because the firm is too prestigious and selective to be on anyone's radar. I bet you applied there and got no response, and now you're bitter. Sad!

And, yes, Vault's header says "prestige isn't everything." But Vault is clearly paraphrasing Vince Lombardi: Prestige isn't everything; it's the only thing. This particular ranking is about pure prestige--i.e., the quality of your hours--and not about mere superficial prestige.

This thread is SERIOUSLY bringing on the lulz

rpupkin - are these 1Ls seriously arguing the Vault Hours ranking doesn't measure quality of hours? Its like, do they even lawschool?

At my T6, everyone knows Vault Hours is one of them most important sub-rankings on the entire website. Maybe all of these noobs just go to lower-ranked schools...

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

I can see I lacked the self-awareness on your original sarcasm here, so nicely done. I need to slip back into retirement.

Return to “Legal Employment?