Changing Practice Areas Without a Lateral Move?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing Practice Areas Without a Lateral Move?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:10 am

I'm hoping to hear from people who've changed practice groups in big law. My experience was exclusively in Area A except for work in Area B that from a practical standpoint was Area A type work (apologies if the vagueness is confusing). I chose Area B, because I assumed if I liked and was good at A then I'd like and be good at B. I'd like to switch to A, but don't know how to do this without risk. Practically, I don't see myself changing enough to have a long term future in Area A. I'm also 100% confident that I would be great at B, and even with a short shelf life, think I'd be able to develop a book of business 15-20 years down the road.

Anonymous User

Re: Changing Practice Areas Without a Lateral Move?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm hoping to hear from people who've changed practice groups in big law. My experience was exclusively in Area A except for work in Area B that from a practical standpoint was Area A type work (apologies if the vagueness is confusing). I chose Area B, because I assumed if I liked and was good at A then I'd like and be good at B. I'd like to switch to A, but don't know how to do this without risk. Practically, I don't see myself changing enough to have a long term future in Area A. I'm also 100% confident that I would be great at B, and even with a short shelf life, think I'd be able to develop a book of business 15-20 years down the road.

I'm going to insert some practice areas and say Area A is patent pros, and Area B is patent lit; that you only did pros work, and while you did help out with some litigation, it wasn't much different from the work you'd do as an agent anyway; that you decided to do litigation when you joined the firm because you assumed if you liked pros you'd like litigation; and now you want to go back to pros, but you don't think you'll be successful doing biglaw pros long-term, and you think you're decent at litigation you'd be able to open your own litigation practice eventually if you just stick with it for a few more years. Is that basically the conundrum here (actual subject matter aside)?

If so, is the question whether you should move? Or whether it is a risk to move? That's highly dependent on the firm you're at right now, the actual work you do, the actual work you want to do, your long-term goals, and a lot of other stuff. Generally-speaking, if you don't think you have a long-term future in a field, you probably shouldn't switch to it, though.

Return to “Legal Employment�