mention same journal in informational interview request?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
valen

Bronze

mention same journal in informational interview request?

Postby valen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:32 pm

I searched the board and didn't find this topic, sorry if it has been asked before and I missed it - please let me know.

When reaching out to alumni for informational interview requests, is it appropriate/a good idea to mention that we participated in the same journal in addition to coming from the same school? Is this weird? How do I bring it up naturally in the email?

This is for 2L OCI.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: mention same journal in informational interview request?

Postby Nebby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:40 pm

valen wrote:I searched the board and didn't find this topic, sorry if it has been asked before and I missed it - please let me know.

When reaching out to alumni for informational interview requests, is it appropriate/a good idea to mention that we participated in the same journal in addition to coming from the same school? Is this weird? How do I bring it up naturally in the email?

This is for 2L OCI.

It's not necessary, but give us context of how you'll bring it up?

Devlin

Silver

Postby Devlin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:54 pm

valen wrote:I searched the board and didn't find this topic, sorry if it has been asked before and I missed it - please let me know.

This is for 2L OCI.

Yes do it. I would usually say something along the lines "I noticed that you were also on the __ Law Review and was hoping you had time to ..."

valen

Bronze

Postby valen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Nebby wrote:

This is for 2L OCI.

Probably something like Devlin said above - "I see that you were also on ___ Journal at _____ Law School, blah blah, was wondering if you would have time for a brief chat"

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm

valen wrote:
Nebby wrote:

This is for 2L OCI.

Probably something like Devlin said above - "I see that you were also on ___ Journal at _____ Law School, blah blah, was wondering if you would have time for a brief chat"

In that context, then no I don't think it's necessary. You being a student of their alma mater is enough to make a connection.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:40 pm

This is funny. As many that aren't the school's LR, my journal was kind of, sort of a joke. I really only cared that the people I was on it with were fun to be around. If someone emailed me saying "Hey I was on XYZ journal too, let's talk" I would get a good laugh.

With that said, absolutely do it. School connection is more than enough to get me to respond to a cold email, but If you can give me any way to make the conversation less awkward and give me more things to ask you about, I would appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment�