Health Insurance for Incoming Associates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Health Insurance for Incoming Associates

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:42 pm

So, I just reached out to my firm to respond to a quick admin email they sent. I asked when our health insurance kicks in, because we start in mid-September. Turns out we don't have insurance until October 1. I am sure this isn't a huge deal for people who are under 26, but for those of us that are...it sucks. It means that I have to buy a health exchange 1 month policy. Blergh. I wish our stipend were bigger to cover this. It's not something I had budgeted for. I am an old, and all the places I've ever worked at...health coverage on day 1, always.

Anyone else in this same boat?

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: Health Insurance for Incoming Associates

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:04 pm

I don't think you do. You get 3 consecutive months under the ACA without penalty.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:08 pm

If covered under law school health insurance program, just get a continuation of coverage through that provider for the the 4-5 months? I'm not sure how that works myself but I feel like I have heard of people that did it.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Assuming you have some coverage now (or that you are uncovered but your coverage ran through June), you don't have to buy insurance. ACA allows you to go up to three months without insurance with no penalty.

Skater

New

Post by Skater » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:41 pm

You can buy a short term catastrophic type policy (not ACA compliant ) for $50-$70 per month. I have used Priority Health but other insurance companies sell them. This protects you from financial disaster for low cost, but doesn't cover routine care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewaterlanding

New

Post by thewaterlanding » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Or you can find an insurance broker in the town you will be in to find a short term policy that covers routine care. I did this for my wife and it cost 150 a month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Get on welfare? That's what I did. Turned 26 halfway through 3L, no school insurance, and more than 3 month gap between starting work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”