No Work in last weeks of SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Work in last weeks of SA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I'd been pretty busy through the end of last week, but now that we have only 2 weeks left, I'm starting to wrap up most of my work. It seems like people wouldn't really want to assign many projects since we'd have so little time to submit any work, and then it would force the attorneys to review it right away as well in case they'd want me to make any edits or changes.

What can I expect during the last 2 weeks of my SA? How should I pass the time if I actually run out of work to do?

Sprout

Silver

Re: No Work in last weeks of SA

Postby Sprout » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:03 pm

You can take some of my work of my hands for me if you want.

Real talk though, why don't you ask for something to do..? I dk if you're in a lit group or trans or what but I am sure there's at least some research or review or something you can do, if you really want it...

glitched

Silver

Postby glitched » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd been pretty busy through the end of last week, but now that we have only 2 weeks left, I'm starting to wrap up most of my work. It seems like people wouldn't really want to assign many projects since we'd have so little time to submit any work, and then it would force the attorneys to review it right away as well in case they'd want me to make any edits or changes.

What can I expect during the last 2 weeks of my SA? How should I pass the time if I actually run out of work to do?

If you're at a 100% offer firm, I'd relax and do whatever you like to do to pass time (surf the internet, read books).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:10 pm

I think we're a 100% offer firm. I've asked for more work, but I've really only done corporate work (because there's been plenty of need and I strongly prefer that work/don't really enjoy lit). It seems like after a handful of closings over the last couple weeks, work has slowed down, but our workflow coordinating people said they'd give me anything that comes in, but not to expect much as the summer winds down.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Take people out to lunch. Ask random people about work they do. Enjoy it.

Yeezus Wept

New

Postby Yeezus Wept » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Come on homie, do what the rest of us are doing and shitpost on TLS. Pick up a slow moving pro bono matter you can sink some hours into so you aren't completely useless and relax. You're getting paid more money than most people will ever make to eat fancy lunches and surf the web, try and enjoy it.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Pro bono is a solid choice, especially if you are taking the New York bar and need to hit the 50 hour requirement.

thesealocust

Platinum

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:48 pm

glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd been pretty busy through the end of last week, but now that we have only 2 weeks left, I'm starting to wrap up most of my work. It seems like people wouldn't really want to assign many projects since we'd have so little time to submit any work, and then it would force the attorneys to review it right away as well in case they'd want me to make any edits or changes.

If you're at a 100% offer firm, I'd relax and do whatever you like to do to pass time (surf the internet, read books).

+1. It can be surprisingly hard to integrate summers, especially for certain groups (like transactional practices), and doubly especially with the end of the summer looming.

Return to “Legal Employment�