Business Cards: "Paralegal" or "Candidate for Juris Doctor" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Business Cards: "Paralegal" or "Candidate for Juris Doctor"

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 pm

I received a paralegal certificate about two months ago and have been interning for a law firm ever since. In the law firm, I do typical paralegal work such as drafting legal documents (memos, original petitions, answers, etc.), conducting discovery, and interviewing clients. I will be a 1L this coming Fall and I am currently creating business cards for networking. Currently, I am stumped on what title to put on the business card.

Since I have been working in a law firm as a paralegal for about two months now, should I go ahead and put "Paralegal" as my title on the business card? Or, seeing that I will be a law student soon, would the title "Candidate for Juris Doctor" be more appropriate to use?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Business Cards: "Paralegal" or "Candidate for Juris Doctor"

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Wait until you start school and put J.D. Candidate.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Why are you making business cards? This seems unnecessary. And it's weird.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a paralegal certificate about two months ago and have been interning for a law firm ever since. In the law firm, I do typical paralegal work such as drafting legal documents (memos, original petitions, answers, etc.), conducting discovery, and interviewing clients. I will be a 1L this coming Fall and I am currently creating business cards for networking. Currently, I am stumped on what title to put on the business card.

Since I have been working in a law firm as a paralegal for about two months now, should I go ahead and put "Paralegal" as my title on the business card? Or, seeing that I will be a law student soon, would the title "Candidate for Juris Doctor" be more appropriate to use?

I wouldn't use business cards as a student, but that's just one opinion. Seems a little too much. If you do, though, put Candidate, c/o 2019. "Dress" for the job you want, not the job you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Wait until you start school and put J.D. Candidate.
Thank for the response A. Nony.
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Why are you making business cards? This seems unnecessary. And it's weird.
I figured that it would be great to be able to pass out the cards on the go. What would be a better alternative?
BNA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received a paralegal certificate about two months ago and have been interning for a law firm ever since. In the law firm, I do typical paralegal work such as drafting legal documents (memos, original petitions, answers, etc.), conducting discovery, and interviewing clients. I will be a 1L this coming Fall and I am currently creating business cards for networking. Currently, I am stumped on what title to put on the business card.

I wouldn't use business cards as a student, but that's just one opinion. Seems a little too much. If you do, though, put Candidate, c/o 2019. "Dress" for the job you want, not the job you have.
Thanks for the tip BNA. It seems like it is looked down upon for a law student to pass out business cards. Why is that the case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 pm

This. Also, some schools created business cards for you so that might be a reason to wait.

Business cards are not good for networking because attorneys don't care about your contact information. You want their business card. However, you might want it to meet other peers.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Why are you making business cards? This seems unnecessary. And it's weird.
I figured that it would be great to be able to pass out the cards on the go. What would be a better alternative?
BNA wrote:

Thanks for the tip BNA. It seems like it is looked down upon for a law student to pass out business cards. Why is that the case?
What zot said, but also because you don't have anything to offer (law students really have no value). You're going to have to get their card and make the effort. They'll take it, but it'll probably go in the garbage along with the candy wrapper and lint at the end of the day.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Don't make your own business cards. You won't have any use for them.

If you insist on getting business cards, order them from your law school when you actually get to school rather than making your own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:18 pm

BNA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BNA wrote:

What zot said, but also because you don't have anything to offer (law students really have no value). You're going to have to get their card and make the effort. They'll take it, but it'll probably go in the garbage along with the candy wrapper and lint at the end of the day.
I see. If legal employers see law students as bringing little to no value, would the title "Paralegal" be seen more valuable than a "JD Candidate?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 pm

They'll see your resume

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BNA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BNA wrote:

I see. If legal employers see law students as bringing little to no value, would the title "Paralegal" be seen more valuable than a "JD Candidate?"
If you want to be their paralegal I suppose.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Do not pass cards out. Nobody will care or keep them. Take other people's cards and email them.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:43 am

yeah you need to abandon this idea, which will only embarrass you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 am

hdunlop wrote:yeah you need to abandon this idea, which will only embarrass you.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:03 am

hdunlop wrote:yeah you need to abandon this idea, which will only embarrass you.
There is a perfect correlation between law students I've seen passing out business cards and law students who are tools

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:03 pm

I'd go with both titles. Also might as well include "Admission pending to state bar in 2020."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Business Cards = Try Hard.

I also think they signal you aren't at a top law school. Which if you're not, they'll obviously know, but no need to call further attention to it.

I've seen almost no use of business cards with people at my school and others I work with that come from t14. However, some others I work with that did get law school business cards tended to go to TT/TTT schools. FWIW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:44 pm

zot1 wrote:
This. Also, some schools created business cards for you so that might be a reason to wait.

Business cards are not good for networking because attorneys don't care about your contact information. You want their business card. However, you might want it to meet other peers.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Do not pass cards out. Nobody will care or keep them. Take other people's cards and email them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Also a direct correlation between law students who have business cards and law students who wear a suit to bar review.

Ghostwritethewhip

New

Post by Ghostwritethewhip » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Business Cards = Try Hard.

I also think they signal you aren't at a top law school. Which if you're not, they'll obviously know, but no need to call further attention to it.

I've seen almost no use of business cards with people at my school and others I work with that come from t14. However, some others I work with that did get law school business cards tended to go to TT/TTT schools. FWIW.
Agree on the general principle that business cards in law school don't really make sense, though I wish I could say the same about how often I've seen people trying to pass out business cards at my T10... Can honestly say that at every reception I went to last semester, there was always at least one person who'd whip out a business card and hand it to the partner s/he'd cornered at the first sign of the attorney trying to escape.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”