Do biglaws send applicants' resumes to SAs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do biglaws send applicants' resumes to SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 pm

It would be much appreciated if someone could answer this.

I am a rising 3L and in the middle of applying to biglaws. Do some biglaws send applicants' resumes to current SAs who are summering there if both go to the same law school and that law school is underrepresented in that biglaw? Or a simple background check with that SA?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: Do biglaws send applicants' resumes to SAs?

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:04 pm

No.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:11 pm

is the word "biglaws" a thing?

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is the word "biglaws" a thing?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It would be much appreciated if someone could answer this.

I am a rising 3L and in the middle of applying to biglaws. Do some biglaws send applicants' resumes to current SAs who are summering there if both go to the same law school and that law school is underrepresented in that biglaw? Or a simple background check with that SA?

During my 1L SA I received at least 4 resumes from the legal recruiter of people in my class who had massmailed the firm. She wanted to know what "median" was, whether they were good people, whether I know anything about them, etc.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

During my 1L SA I received at least 4 resumes from the legal recruiter of people in my class who had massmailed the firm. She wanted to know what "median" was, whether they were good people, whether I know anything about them, etc.

Ehh in my experience, biglaws typically do this. Some of the best and biggest biglaws rely solely on their SA's input when making interview decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks. Can anyone add a second opinion? Or is it a common practice at biglaws?

Glasseyes

Silver

Postby Glasseyes » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:53 pm

best thread on biglaws in god knows how long. LOTS of ACCURACY and INSIGHT in here. keep it up everybody

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a similar experience. The SA firms' summer classes weren't huge though.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm guessing there's a great story of an incident with a current SA at OP's biglaw of choice.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Please stop calling it "biglaws." That's not a thing. Your poor/ESOL writing and general lack of awareness in these threads is noteworthy.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I think folks in here are just giving their two cents on their experiences at different biglaws. I don't really see the problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Hmm... It's so weird for firms to do so imo...

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:01 am

RaceJudicata wrote:I think folks in here are just giving their two cents on their experiences at different biglaws. I don't really see the problem.

:lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 pm

I MM a V10 firm for a 2L SA position and they sent my materials straight to a current SA from my school there to ask about me. So some do, at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:47 am

Just curious, when the recruiting brings resumes in front of current summers, do they show them the transcript as well? lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am

Incoming associate. Recruiting has sent me emails asking about two students from my school who have sent pre-OCI requests. They only mentioned names and asked if I knew the people, and if so whether I had any thoughts. Didn't include resume or transcript. Sending a transcript to a fellow student would be pretty crappy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:46 am

LA 1L summer associate here — HR sent it to me and we talked about all the people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:15 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ehh in my experience, biglaws typically do this. Some of the best and biggest biglaws rely solely on their SA's input when making interview decisions.

I also had a similar experience as a 1L SA.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, when the recruiting brings resumes in front of current summers, do they show them the transcript as well? lol

Na my biglaws didn't that seems weird especially if same class year

jrf12886

Bronze

Postby jrf12886 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Probably not. Junior associates, yes, but likely not summer associates.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:53 pm

A partner at my second-half firm called me into his office and asked my opinion about people who had bid the firm from my school for OCI for the class below me. I just said everyone was nice or that I didn't know the person.

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:08 pm

A fellow summer got the resume of an applicant from their school in order to talk to them about the firm. I think recruiting also asked if they knew anything about the applicant.

RajonEsq

New

Postby RajonEsq » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Hiring partner at my firm asked a fellow summer associate about applicants from the summer's school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Hiring partner at my firm asked a fellow summer associate about applicants from the summer's school.

I find it so strange that firms would do this for any reason other than asking the SA to promote interest in the firm to candidates they already considered a good fit/qualified.

If a hiring partner comes to an SA to ask about other students, what options does the SA really have? On the off chance the SA knows the person and hates them, would he really sit there with a partner and start talking about law school gossip/drama - risking making himself look unprofessional, immature, or unable to work well with others? (I mean, they might. I personally wouldn't, since I don't know any rising 2Ls in an academic/professional setting and wouldn't really be able to speak substantively on whether or not that person would add value to the firm.) For the same reasons, even if the SA does know the person and is good friends with them, why would his good opinion matter to a hiring partner whose biggest interest is ultimately to hire those he feels will move the firm forward - rather than those who happen to be friends with a random SA who's been at the firm less than 2 months? It's just weird to think that any positive information I could give would probably be ignored, while any negative information I give would probably be minimally useful to the firm's interests yet potentially detrimental to myself and/or the applicant.

Though, after working at a law firm for just a little bit, I can how these questions could be useful when considering lateral applicants, and if directed towards associates who've worked with that applicant before. Work product and professional reputation (as someone who's hardworking and competent - or not) would be something I'd want to know before making a hiring decision.

But caveat, I also find it strange that firms hire after 1L year, that some have hard GPA cutoffs, and - actually, most of the recruiting process makes no sense to me. So in the end, I guess I wouldn't put money on this not being true.

Return to “Legal Employment?