How do I turn in my formal mock interview into 2L SA offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I turn in my formal mock interview into 2L SA offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 pm

I might be getting ahead of myself by thinking I can get an offer out this but here's the situation. A new-ish friend of mine is an attorney who works for a firm that I'm very interested in. He's been at his firm for 5-6 years and is involved with their recruiting efforts. I asked if he could give me an informal mock interview the next time we hang out and he suggested a formal interview at his office. It's scheduled for next week and I'm freaking out. Can this turn into an actual interview? I could always ask him this but the friendship is new and I don't want to want to ruin the new friendship. So, what do you guys think?

Anonymous User

Re: How do I turn in my formal mock interview into 2L SA offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I might be getting ahead of myself by thinking I can get an offer out this but here's the situation. A new-ish friend of mine is an attorney who works for a firm that I'm very interested in. He's been at his firm for 5-6 years and is involved with their recruiting efforts. I asked if he could give me an informal mock interview the next time we hang out and he suggested a formal interview at his office. It's scheduled for next week and I'm freaking out. Can this turn into an actual interview? I could always ask him this but the friendship is new and I don't want to want to ruin the new friendship. So, what do you guys think?

Had something similar yesterday. Through a relative I was put in touch with a senior associate at a firm. He asked for my resume then. We met and discussed the firm and his job. This morning he asked for my transcript. While I have not yet heard from the firm itself, its obvious from his request that he is working behind the scenes on my behalf.

Just meet with the guy, kill the interview, and let him do the rest. If he likes you, he'll go to bat for you and it may turn into something. Even if it doesn't, you (1) got interview experience (which always helps) and (2) something to say in a Mass Mail to his firm as to why you're interested.

Return to “Legal Employment�