What more can I do to Hustle for a SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What more can I do to Hustle for a SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 am

T25 top 10% no LR working in house at an aviation / PE financial firm this summer. Mass Mailed every firm in my target market, California (very strong ties), listed on NALP doing corporate work. I also have a meeting set up with a Partner in SF who works with similar companies I worked for this summer (aviation leasing and finance). I have two interviews in LA later this month (One V50, one V20) and my school has an off campus interview program in SF/LA (100% preselect only 8 firms however) which I'll find out if I got any pre selects later today. California is limited at my schools OCI, but I'm pretty Biglaw or bust at the moment to pay of my debt. Anything else I should be doing, any more hustle advice. Should I mass mail NY even though I have no ties?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: What more can I do to Hustle for a SA?

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:T25 top 10% no LR working in house at an aviation / PE financial firm this summer. Mass Mailed every firm in my target market, California (very strong ties), listed on NALP doing corporate work. I also have a meeting set up with a Partner in SF who works with similar companies I worked for this summer (aviation leasing and finance). I have two interviews in LA later this month (One V50, one V20) and my school has an off campus interview program in SF/LA (100% preselect only 8 firms however) which I'll find out if I got any pre selects later today. California is limited at my schools OCI, but I'm pretty Biglaw or bust at the moment to pay of my debt. Anything else I should be doing, any more hustle advice. Should I mass mail NY even though I have no ties?

If biglaw or bust, and not just CA, 100% mass mail NY. NY doesn't care about ties (at least as far as I know) and far and away the largest number of SAs available compared to any other market.

Email alumni from your school working in offices you like asking for their view of the firm, etc. top 10% at top 25 seems to be definitely competitive for biglaw though, at least from your school's OCI standpoint.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 am

Join your local bar association and attend roundtables in areas of law that you're interested in. You'll likely be the only law student there and will stand out in a good way.

Most, if not all, bar associations/CLE events will waive fees for students. I obtained many contacts by going to these types of things while I was in law school. Great resume filler, too (demonstrates interest).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Off campus interview preselects came out, went 8/8 pretty psyched.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:43 am

Going to bump this thread once.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:27 pm

the obvious answer is to hustle new york. If you're truly biglaw or bust, do not wait and see until you get a cali offer, apply to any and every firm in other major markets.

It only takes one, of course, but 10 screeners is not a "safe" position to be in. I hope you didn't only apply to the eight california firms for OCI. that would have also been a significant wasted opportunity. If you did, try to hustle w/ other firms at your oci that you're not interviewing with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the obvious answer is to hustle new york. If you're truly biglaw or bust, do not wait and see until you get a cali offer, apply to any and every firm in other major markets.

It only takes one, of course, but 10 screeners is not a "safe" position to be in. I hope you didn't only apply to the eight california firms for OCI. that would have also been a significant wasted opportunity. If you did, try to hustle w/ other firms at your oci that you're not interviewing with.

No, we had a CA off campus interview program with 8 firms. Normal OCI I bid on the 5 CA firms + 17 in the nearby major market.

Return to “Legal Employment�