Covington non-DC selectivity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Covington non-DC selectivity

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:39 am

I was wondering if anyone has a sense of how selective Covington is grade-wise outside of DC (particularly in New York/SF)? Maybe even if someone knows of some firms/office who are comparable in terms of selectivity?

My school has information on median GPAs for offers but no information on any Covington office outside of DC, and I've asked a couple co-workers at different schools and their career websites have no info on those offices outside of DC either.

I know that it's a super specific question, but don't have really anywhere to turn to find the answer except here - so anything is much appreciated. Thanks!

barkschool

Silver

Re: Covington non-DC selectivity

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:31 am

Honestly, since their memo this summer. Covington is probably going to be largely avoided/ recruiting will be scraping the bottom of the barrel (as they have likely done for years).

Future summers know that Covington may not pay market (for periods of time) and current associates are likely to lateral to avoid the shame attached.

At this point, I have totally forgotten your questions but I assume the best answer is to say GPA is not going to matter to Covington for years to come.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:30 am

I think the SF office is equally as selective as DC and possibly more so simply because it's a small office. They also appear to hire almost exclusively from Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, and Yale, so if you don't attend one of those schools you'll probably have a tough time getting their attention.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:01 am

potted plant wrote:I think the SF office is equally as selective as DC and possibly more so simply because it's a small office. They also appear to hire almost exclusively from Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, and Yale, so if you don't attend one of those schools you'll probably have a tough time getting their attention.
this is false.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:05 am

The NY and SF offices are slightly less selective. They're still relatively tough, though. You probably need to be competitive for firms like DPW, STB, Paul Weiss, etc. to have a good shot at Covington NY, for example.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:The NY and SF offices are slightly less selective. They're still relatively tough, though. You probably need to be competitive for firms like DPW, STB, Paul Weiss, etc. to have a good shot at Covington NY, for example.
This is not accurate. Covington NYC transactional is not competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The NY and SF offices are slightly less selective. They're still relatively tough, though. You probably need to be competitive for firms like DPW, STB, Paul Weiss, etc. to have a good shot at Covington NY, for example.
This is not accurate. Covington NYC transactional is not competitive.
Strongly disagree. For corporate, it is clearly not perceived as a powerhouse like the firms I mentioned, but it's still not materially easier to get a job there (and they don't ask you to choose whether you'll do corporate or litigation before giving you an offer, so it isn't a meaningful distinction for entry-level hiring selectivity). Their GPA requirements are in the same ballpark and they are one of the only firms that require references and, if I'm not mistaken, a writing sample. My school did have info on past Covington NY GPA ranges and they were generally in line with the firms mentioned above. I also interviewed and received an offer at Covington NY so I have some sense of the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”