Callbacks - how important is it to be well informed on current events issues?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callbacks - how important is it to be well informed on current events issues?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:04 am

During callbacks do interviewers ask any questions or try to initiate conversation about general current events issues to gauge how "aware" you are of things? To be honest, I'm generally pretty out of touch with whats going on in the world. Should I start reading some WSJ or something in preparation?

alphamalek

New

Re: Callbacks - how important is it to be well informed on current events issues?

Postby alphamalek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 am

No. Your should focus your attention on knowing your resume, being able to weave a story about how you got from undergrad to law school and in front of the interviewer. While you connect the dots of your past to show your awareness, you should also think of a few stories about different line items your resume.

This is not to say you should be forget about the world and current events. Like the economist, Bloomberg, or other news outlets on your news feed on Twitter or fb and keep an eye out. Preparing by reading the WSJ cover to cover is not what you need now. Spend time thinking your favorite legal issue you studied. Sometimes that comes up.

Babum

Bronze

Re: Callbacks - how important is it to be well informed on current events issues?

Postby Babum » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:During callbacks do interviewers ask any questions or try to initiate conversation about general current events issues to gauge how "aware" you are of things? To be honest, I'm generally pretty out of touch with whats going on in the world. Should I start reading some WSJ or something in preparation?

Agree with the previous poster. I don't think the topic ever came up in mine. Having said that, you should consider reading the papers for your own personal benefit.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 am

Its probably not a bad idea to read the paper a bit - no one will be testing you on your knowledge of current events, but these interviews are generally pretty informal conversations, so whatever's in the headlines of the NYT could pretty naturally come up

Obama2016

New

Postby Obama2016 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 am

Don't sacrifice time to substantively prepare for the interview(s) - i.e. getting to know the firm, your interviewers (if that info was made available to you), preparing standard responses, etc.

But in my opinion, (depending on the firm and practice group) it can be helpful to know generally what is going on in the business world and the markets. For example, I had my callbacks last August right around the time the Chinese economy tanked. The two associates I went to lunch with briefly talked about it, so it helps knowing about major events like that so you don't sit there awkwardly in silence. It likely won't come up as a question in your substantive interviews, but it's wise to know about current events, especially if you're going to ask a question related to what the partner/associate is working on. For example, at the same callback, I asked one of those questions to an M&A partner, and he said he was working on a large hostile takeover that had been extensively covered in the WSJ/Dealbook. It was useful knowing about that so I could substantively chime in after, rather than just saying something along the lines of "Ok," or "that sounds interesting," or trying to make it seem like you know what he/she was talking about.

With that said, it probably won't do you any good to just read the entire WSJ or the NY Times for today and the last week, etc. But going forward, just subscribe to something like Dealbook and skim through the email every morning and afternoon. It takes 5 minutes tops out of your day, and it is a good way of just keeping up to date on current events.

Return to “Legal Employment�