Tell OCI interviewer about tax LLM plans? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bwade2

New

Tell OCI interviewer about tax LLM plans?

Post by bwade2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I am just outside the range (about 5%) of the recommended class ranking for many of the positions that I am applying for. My resume is decent but not great, I'm at a lower T1 school, on LR, and am a RA for a professor. In my cover letter I am stating that my preferred practice area is tax because that is what I want to do. I am planning on getting a LLM in tax after I graduate (from NYU or Georgetown). My question is will it give me a slight advantage in tax positions by telling them I am planning on the LLM or will most interviewers not like that cause it means I will start a year later?

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: Tell OCI interviewer about tax LLM plans?

Post by Actus Reus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Don't say this. They're recruiting for now.

nealric

Re: Tell OCI interviewer about tax LLM plans?

Post by nealric » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:49 pm

bwade2 wrote:I am just outside the range (about 5%) of the recommended class ranking for many of the positions that I am applying for. My resume is decent but not great, I'm at a lower T1 school, on LR, and am a RA for a professor. In my cover letter I am stating that my preferred practice area is tax because that is what I want to do. I am planning on getting a LLM in tax after I graduate (from NYU or Georgetown). My question is will it give me a slight advantage in tax positions by telling them I am planning on the LLM or will most interviewers not like that cause it means I will start a year later?
No, it will not. Most law firms that value LLMs will pay for associates to do it at night.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”