How long is too long of a cover? (Post grad / jr associate)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long is too long of a cover? (Post grad / jr associate)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 pm

Basically my first paragraph is introduction/area of law I want to practice. Body is a summary of relevant career experience and achievements. Last paragraph is closing. In all, it's about 4/5 of a page. I know most people keep it super short, like half a page at most. Do recruiters care to read so much of what I have to say about myself or will it annoy them?

For 1st - 2nd yr lawyers
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: How long is too long of a cover?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Is that 4/5 of a page without headers? If so that is probably too long. Here is a template that has floated around a few threads on TLS. I used it and got some MM bites.

«Contact_Full»
«Contact_Title»
«Law_Firm»
«Address»
«City», «State» «Zip»

Dear «Contact_Last»:

I am a second-year law student at _______________________ and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position at «Law_Firm_Short_Name» for 2015. Enclosed are my résumé, transcript, and a writing sample.

I am especially interested in ______________________ law as well as __________________________ because of my experience with ________________. It is this interest that has led me to inquire about opportunities at «Law_Firm_Short_Name».

[Paragraph about me].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is that 4/5 of a page without headers? If so that is probably too long. Here is a template that has floated around a few threads on TLS. I used it and got some MM bites.

«Contact_Full»
«Contact_Title»
«Law_Firm»
«Address»
«City», «State» «Zip»

Dear «Contact_Last»:

I am a second-year law student at _______________________ and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position at «Law_Firm_Short_Name» for 2015. Enclosed are my résumé, transcript, and a writing sample.

I am especially interested in ______________________ law as well as __________________________ because of my experience with ________________. It is this interest that has led me to inquire about opportunities at «Law_Firm_Short_Name».

[Paragraph about me].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Mine's post-grad and it is including the heading. That looks like a good template but it seems fairly boring in the first 2 paragraphs. I wonder if it will grab the reader's attention at all.

How many MM did you send out and how many bites?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm

100 two weeks ago, about 5 bites so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Is this thread/responses talking about MM cover letters or OCI cover letters? Aren't OCI ones supposed to be a little more detailed than a MM cover letter? The template provided seems good for a MM but 4/5 of a page seems pretty good length-wise for an OCI cover letter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this thread/responses talking about MM cover letters or OCI cover letters? Aren't OCI ones supposed to be a little more detailed than a MM cover letter? The template provided seems good for a MM but 4/5 of a page seems pretty good length-wise for an OCI cover letter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think firms expect much out of OCI cover letters except some indication of ties to a particular area. For example, they know most 1l's have almost no transactional experience seeing as 1l classes are geared towards litigation, and they know every 1l wrote a brief in legal writing. Your resume and transcript will give the screener the information they really are after.

Return to “Legal Employment?