Submit lateral app online or give to friend?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Submit lateral app online or give to friend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:52 pm

I found a lateral opening post on a firm's website for an associate position that I am interested in and qualified for. I also have a very good friend at the firm. Should I submit a lateral application through the firm's website via the posting or should I give my materials to my friend to forward?

I ask because it seems the conventional wisdom is the best way to lateral is to have someone you know at the firm go to bat for you, but it seems somewhat odd to go about it that way for a position I clearly found on the posting on the lawcruit site. Thanks in advance.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Re: Submit lateral app online or give to friend?

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:55 pm

If you trust your friend, give it to him/her. Some big firms give their employees referral bonuses for submitting candidates that get hired (my firm gives $10K). If that is the case, your friend would have a good reason for promoting your application. Just make sure the friend knows who the contact person is for the application so it won't get lost.

Return to “Legal Employment�