Former NYC ADA taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Former NYC ADA taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Nodbugger wrote:1L, T4 school, large city, not NY, decent grades, I'm currently working in that cities prosecutors office. Will a NY DA office consider me? I've already been told as long as I want to I can keep interning here until I graduate. I would like to work here when I graduate, girlfriend is a New Yorker so I'm hoping I could have a decent chance out there.

I was never involved in the interview process but it seems like you'd have a shot. People at my office came from all over. Does your girlfriend live in NY now? Are you planning on moving to NY after graduation? Where do you really want to work?

Nodbugger

New

Postby Nodbugger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nodbugger wrote:1L, T4 school, large city, not NY, decent grades, I'm currently working in that cities prosecutors office. Will a NY DA office consider me? I've already been told as long as I want to I can keep interning here until I graduate. I would like to work here when I graduate, girlfriend is a New Yorker so I'm hoping I could have a decent chance out there.

I was never involved in the interview process but it seems like you'd have a shot. People at my office came from all over. Does your girlfriend live in NY now? Are you planning on moving to NY after graduation? Where do you really want to work?

Not now, she lives here, but she wants to go back. Her whole family lives in either NYC or NJ.

And I'm not too picky where I work, as long as it's a larger city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is this you, thread OP? You were a direct hire? Were you not straight out of law school? EDIT: I might have misread that. Do you mean you never conducted interviews?

Nodbugger, NY offices seem to consider everyone, as OP mentioned above. When I interned at an office, ADAs came from all over, many from out of state schools I'd never even heard of. It might be somewhat tougher for you to get your foot in the door if the office doesn't directly recruit at your school (like OCI) but if you reach out you should get a screener. I've heard of some offices combining interview rounds to make the travel aspect easier. If you can, and have the means to (i.e. a grant) see if you can try to 2L summer at an office. IIRC 2L summers at some offices get to skip the screener if they receive a satisfactory performance review.

In my opinion, the hiring is such a black box and there really isn't one objective factor on paper that ensures a hire or no-offer (i.e. ties to NYC, school tier, moot court champion, grades, etc.). I mean it all helps, but really nothing disqualifies you. That being said, your interview performance is probably the single most important consideration for hiring. The District Attorney 2014/2015/2016 Threads on TLS are a good resource for what to expect there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this you, thread OP? You were a direct hire? Were you not straight out of law school? EDIT: I might have misread that. Do you mean you never conducted interviews?

I never conducted interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:40 am

OP here. I'm under the weather so I'll be around most of the day today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm under the weather so I'll be around most of the day today.

Starting in the fall...

Are the first two weeks glorified summer camp? An alum from my school essentially told me that the biggest value he got from the first week was getting to know your ADA classmates at happy hour.

What are the first few months like working at these offices while you wait on your bar score? Is it mainly training until November and hunting down an attorney's signature to affirm things?

What about when the results do come out? Roughly how many people don't pass first time? WTF do they do until June and the Feb. scores come up?

Oddball question. Jury duty. Have you had to report while working for an office? Same jurisdiction or not? Since you aren't officially representing the office, can you just wear jeans at voir dire or will someone "unofficially" get pissed since it will come out where you work. I've sat in on a couple of voir dire's so I know how it generally works, just curious as to how it works for ADA-jurors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm under the weather so I'll be around most of the day today.

Starting in the fall...

Are the first two weeks glorified summer camp? An alum from my school essentially told me that the biggest value he got from the first week was getting to know your ADA classmates at happy hour.

What are the first few months like working at these offices while you wait on your bar score? Is it mainly training until November and hunting down an attorney's signature to affirm things?

You'll go through an orientation and training program. These programs vary in length depending on the office. After that, some offices assign you to ECAB (Kings) and others put you right into the fire. It will be fun because you won't really know what you're doing. You can do everything an admitted attorney can do as an ADA without being admitted. So you'll be in court a lot and will have your own case load.

What about when the results do come out? Roughly how many people don't pass first time? WTF do they do until June and the Feb. scores come up?

Depends on the office. The people in my class that did not pass got a few weeks off to study.
Oddball question. Jury duty. Have you had to report while working for an office? Same jurisdiction or not? Since you aren't officially representing the office, can you just wear jeans at voir dire or will someone "unofficially" get pissed since it will come out where you work. I've sat in on a couple of voir dire's so I know how it generally works, just curious as to how it works for ADA-jurors.

You're representing your office and yourself as an attorney. Dress appropriately.

Return to “Legal Employment�