Big law that have more relaxed gpa requirement?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big law that have more relaxed gpa requirement?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 am

Can you list any big laws that have more relaxed GPA requirement but consider fit or prior work experience more than other firms?

Also, my 1L GPA is mediocre at T30 and 2L gpa is top 30 percent ( one semester was top 10ish%). Would I even pass the gpa cutoff?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: Big law that have more relaxed gpa requirement?

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm

What is your current GPA %? You say 1L is medicore, 2L was top 30, etc., but you don't say where you are now. It depends on your school and the extent of your prior work experience for how relaxed firms are with your grades. It seems you are looking at 3L hiring too? 3L biglaw hiring is a crapshoot for everyone. All you can do is send in your applications and hope for the best, but don't go in expecting to find anything. If you are looking at smaller firms, grades still matter, but developing relationships probably matters more so.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:59 pm

I would just mass mail every big firm and hope. But realistically I would primarily focus on other types of employers and start hustling for that because I think big law is very unlikely given the grade/school/3L combo.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Didn't you already ask this question? I feel like this exact question (complete with exact factual circumstances and the same grammatical errors) was asked by another poster recently.

In any case, biglaw is unlikely. It's really hard to get biglaw during 3L if you didn't have it 2L summer. From personal experience (Top 20% at a T1 after 2L), I sent out hundreds of applications and got 1-2 interviews in my quest to trade up. Ended up staying where I was.

We also can't give you good advice unless you tell us where your class rank is at (employers are going to look at all your grades, not just the semester where you were Top 10%). That said, I think biglaw here is unlikely, as I don't think you are in the Top 10-15% of your class (which would be required at almost any big firm given your school).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:14 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Didn't you already ask this question? I feel like this exact question (complete with exact factual circumstances and the same grammatical errors) was asked by another poster recently.

In any case, biglaw is unlikely. It's really hard to get biglaw during 3L if you didn't have it 2L summer. From personal experience (Top 20% at a T1 after 2L), I sent out hundreds of applications and got 1-2 interviews in my quest to trade up. Ended up staying where I was.

We also can't give you good advice unless you tell us where your class rank is at (employers are going to look at all your grades, not just the semester where you were Top 10%). That said, I think biglaw here is unlikely, as I don't think you are in the Top 10-15% of your class (which would be required at almost any big firm given your school).

Not op and not calling you out but can you elaborate on the grammatical errors committed by Op? I understood what he/she was saying but didn't quite catch the error.

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Didn't you already ask this question? I feel like this exact question (complete with exact factual circumstances and the same grammatical errors) was asked by another poster recently.

Not op and not calling you out but can you elaborate on the grammatical errors committed by Op? I understood what he/she was saying but didn't quite catch the error.

Don't really see people use "big laws". Requirement should be plural. Use of "but" is strange.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:29 pm

h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't really see people use "big laws". Requirement should be plural. Use of "but" is strange.

I agree but the use of "but" isn't strange considering it logically follows from OP's point that "although" there is a GPA requirement, some firms might look past that.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree but the use of "but" isn't strange considering it logically follows from OP's point that "although" there is a GPA requirement, some firms might look past that.

"Big Law that have"

Also, why are these posts anon?

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:

It was really the use of "big laws" that I remembered. That was one of the errors I was referring to. h2go got the rest.

Return to “Legal Employment�