WUSTL EIW + Off Campus Programs (2016)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: WUSTL EIW + Off Campus Programs (2016)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm

RareExports wrote:Tips for phone screeners? Should I expect anything different than from an in-person interview?

I found that standing up helped and smiling. You can tell if someone is excited/happy on the phone.

Make sure it's as quiet as it can be and that you have a reliable connection.

You'll also want to avoid (as best you can) talking over one another. Best to leave a second or two after the person finishes speaking to make sure they are truly done so that you know you'll speak uninterrupted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Also not selected by St. Louis firms. Top 20%.

MtheG

New

Postby MtheG » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Do "with invitations" in symplicity and you will get a full list.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:45 pm

I honestly think the STL firms might pick a little lower on the class ranks. I'm 25% and I got them all (still waiting on Bryan Cave, but looks like I got it) except Husch and have no ties the region.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:46 pm

MtheG wrote:Do "with invitations" in symplicity and you will get a full list.

what does "with invitations" mean? I have a few confirmed interviews and some pendings left.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

what does "with invitations" mean? I have a few confirmed interviews and some pendings left.

Afaik it includes ones that are alt/preselect that haven't posted yet, but that CCD has received.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Did anyone get STB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:04 pm

RareExports wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Afaik it includes ones that are alt/preselect that haven't posted yet, but that CCD has received.

What about with waitlist?

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What about with waitlist?

Firms that have not submitted, firms for which you got alternate, and firms that have not yet posted. I think. So basically everything other than ones you got accepted for and that have posted.

MtheG

New

Postby MtheG » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Any firms that aren't out?

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:53 pm

All of August 11th. And STB I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Any firms are not out for st louis diversity fair?

MoonSugar

New

Postby MoonSugar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm from st. louis and received no emails and nothing is showing on symplicity for EIW (or anything else for that matter). Is it possible that it's being released for people individually or is it released all at once?

EDIT: Just refreshed and now it shows 2 firms as pending.
Last edited by MoonSugar on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 pm

MoonSugar wrote:I'm from st. louis and received no emails and nothing is showing on symplicity for EIW (or anything else for that matter). Is it possible that it's being released for people individually or is it released all at once?

Does your Symplicity show your bids as "pending" or does it show them as "not selected?" I'm fairly certain they're all released at once.

MoonSugar

New

Postby MoonSugar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:20 pm

RareExports wrote:
MoonSugar wrote:I'm from st. louis and received no emails and nothing is showing on symplicity for EIW (or anything else for that matter). Is it possible that it's being released for people individually or is it released all at once?

Does your Symplicity show your bids as "pending" or does it show them as "not selected?" I'm fairly certain they're all released at once.

I refreshed a bit ago and all of them say "not selected" except for two firms which have "pending." Does this mean those two will turn into screeners or is it still up in the air? :/

UPDATE: Nevermind. One just changed from pending to not selected, so that answers that.
Last edited by MoonSugar on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:22 pm

It means either that firm hasn't submitted yet, or they haven't been posted for today. Might turn into screeners, might not.

I'm fairly certain the following aren't out yet (incomplete list, just ones I bid):

STB
Monsanto
IRS
Spencer Fane

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:27 pm

RareExports wrote:Tips for phone screeners? Should I expect anything different than from an in-person interview?

From Vault:
"Prepare for a phone interview in the same way you would for an in-person interview.

Just because you can conduct the interview in your pajamas doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend sufficient time preparing. Read over your resume, making sure that you are comfortable talking about each position, activity or award. Reread your cover letter to remind yourself of the qualities you highlighted in your application. Review the job description or posting that you responded to, and jot down some notes about what skills and experiences make you qualified to handle each responsibility listed. Finally, re-familiarize yourself with the company website, making sure you can speak confidently about what exactly the organization does.

Find a quiet spot and reliable phone connection.

It is always preferable to conduct a phone interview on a landline, but if that’s not possible, make sure you are in an area where you have good cell phone reception. Go to a quiet indoor space where you can focus without distractions. You could even sit inside your car if that’s the calmest space you can find!

Take advantage of what they can’t see.

One of the major benefits of a phone interview is that you can keep as many reference materials as you would like right in front of you throughout the conversation. Before the call, print out copies of your resume, cover letter, the job description and any questions or notes you have prepared. You can also pull up the company website on your computer, but whatever you do, don’t type while you are on the call! The sound is obvious and unprofessional.

Smile!

It may sound silly, but research indicates that the expression on your face can greatly influence the tone of your voice. If you are frowning or worried-looking during the call, you will come across sounding tense. Try to keep your face relaxed, and even smile!

Take a breath.

When asked an open-ended question—such as, ‘tell me about yourself’—you may be tempted to blather on and on. Since you won’t be able to respond to nonverbal cues, remember to briefly pause at regular intervals in order to give the interviewer the chance to ask follow-up questions.

Thank the interviewer.

Again, treat this call as you would an in-person interview. At the end of the call, thank the interviewer for his or her time. Follow up with a thank you note (email is fine)."

From me:
-Have a glass of water nearby. Don't eat or smoke or chew gum. Don't drink anything bubbly. Smile. (it works) & talk sloww (you are probably talking faster than you think.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm striking out. 2 alts and that's it. 20% secondary journal. I guess I'm transferring after all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm striking out. 2 alts and that's it. 20% secondary journal. I guess I'm transferring after all.

did you apply for any off-campus programs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm striking out. 2 alts and that's it. 20% secondary journal. I guess I'm transferring after all.

Yes, I meant with EIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I meant with EIW.

I was under the impression that if you were transferring, you couldn't participate in OCI because it takes the spots of WUSTL students

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I meant with EIW.

I was under the impression that if you were transferring, you couldn't participate in OCI because it takes the spots of WUSTL students

Transfers probably shouldn't participate in OCI itself, but by the time bids are due a fair number of popular transfer destinations haven't even released decisions. I'm pretty sure they could contact CCD to withdraw from their bids once they decide to transfer to open up those slots up again. In my case I already received an offer so I'm going through a similar process right now to cut down on some of my safety net screeners so other students who might actually want those slots can take them (although CCD has been dragging their feet heavily with following through).

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah, transfers and those who have already received offers can absolutely withdraw their interviews. That's what the alternate spots are for.

So how did everyone do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Between top third and median. Secondary journal.

EIW screeners at:
Rutan & Tucker (LA)
Fredrikson & Bryon (Minneapolis)
Cadwalader (Charlotte)
Bryan Cave (St. Louis)
Fennemore Craig (Phoenix)
Baker and McKenzie (Chicago)
Stinson Leonard Street (KC)
Snell (Phoenix)

Off campus:
Drinker Biddle (Chicago)
Locke Lord (Chicago)
Greenberg Traurig (Chicago)
Dykema Gossett (Chicago)
Bressler Amery (NYC)
Shearman & Sterling (NYC)
Kaye Scholer (NYC)

Not really sure how to feel. Completely struck out in STL minus Bryan Cave, completely struck out Bay Area program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Anyone get Thompson Hine?

Stats:

EIW: 12 screeners, 5 alts

SEMW NYC - 1 screener, 1 alt

MCG Chi - 2 screeners

MCG DC - 1 screener

Top 33%, JD/MBA, two summers of firm work

Return to “Legal Employment?