WUSTL EIW + Off Campus Programs (2016)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RareExports

Silver

Re: WUSTL EIW + Off Campus Programs (2016)

Postby RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:Why is it useful when the only thing it could do is lull people into a false sense of complacency or discourage people from applying? What strategic value would it add to your job hunt? If you want biglaw, you should apply to every firm you would work at that comes to EIW, OCI, and every off campus program. You should mass mail every biglaw firm in New York, every big law firm in any market you have ties to, and any other market you would conceivably take a job in. You should also use all of the networking connections in St. Louis and your home market you've developed. Knowing past year's gpa performance wouldn't impact that strategy at all, it could only hurt it.

No one is saying that it's wise to apply to less than every firm. But public information about this is useful for prioritizing firms and markets. I mass mailed the entire NLJ 350 and I would have liked to have this kind of information.

This. Prioritizing firms and markets is really important. Asking everybody to mass mail everywhere does not help anybody even if you have unlimited time and energy. I guess the data helps people who MM with a strategy or goal in mind, instead of doing it blindly.

No one said you should literally mass mail everywhere. You prioritize markets by your ties, not by how some kid who grew up in Indiana did. Data that (1) is statistically invalid and (2) does not apply to you anyway does not help you strategize. You have a strategy; you mass mail New York and other markets to which you have ties. If you want to delude yourself into thinking your laziness is strategy, go ahead. For the 2Ls who actually want jobs, I suggest doing what generations of TLSers have found works.

This misrepresents the purpose of an information-gathering project. The purpose of this isn't to guide people into restricting where they apply, it's to provide information that may or may not be useful to any individual user. To the extent it is useful, it wouldn't be in that it discourages someone from applying to a certain firm or market, but rather in that it encourages someone to more heavily target a certain firm or market, given their background.

Ideally, it will not be statistically invalid, and if it is, it likely won't be pervasive enough to do anything, anyway. And just because one data point out of x does not represent you does not mean that there aren't other that do represent you. The spreadsheet has columns for geographic ties, patent bar eligibility, URM status, journal, etc. If you are targeting midwest markets in general without ties to the area and find a certain market that appears to be more welcoming to those without ties, you might then be encouraged to apply more heavily and invest more time there, but it certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from applying elsewhere.

ETA: If anyone wants to discuss the merits of this further, feel free to PM me. I would rather not clog up this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Heard a rumor that CCD forgot about EIW with all of the recent upheaval in the office...results shouldn't be out for at least another week and half

MtheG

New

Postby MtheG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:49 pm

I have to travel tomorrow so I'm really pulling for EIW today.
Last edited by MtheG on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:50 pm

MtheG wrote:One of the regular posters has it on fairly good authority that CCD is just waiting for a few more firms to make selections.

Well of course thats what they'd say...I heard from someone with ties to the office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:54 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I wish the CCD would keep track of GPA/screener/CB/offers, at least through OCI, like some other schools do. It such a valuable resource. We could try to do some anon excel sheet here but that's a lot of effort for an unpaid law student.

Here's something to keep track of, just got an offer from Paul, Weiss NY (top 5%; punted write-on)

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Not quoting MtheG's post because it was edited, but in case it is referencing me (I'm a fairly regular poster and I talked to CCD about this and then posted about it), what I heard from them was a couple days ago that they were waiting on "some firms" and that it was their hope it would be up by today.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I wish the CCD would keep track of GPA/screener/CB/offers, at least through OCI, like some other schools do. It such a valuable resource. We could try to do some anon excel sheet here but that's a lot of effort for an unpaid law student.

Here's something to keep track of, just got an offer from Paul, Weiss NY (top 5%; punted write-on)

Congratulations! First documented WUSTL 2018 offer and it's from Paul, Weiss!

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! :D

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congratulations! Really jealous, I'll bet you'll have a chill year (unless you'll keep hunting for better offers but I would say it's hard to top Paul Weiss).

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:46 pm

asflkgj getting a 212 number and then having it be from NYU (undergrad) asking for money

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:04 pm

ek5dn wrote:asflkgj getting a 212 number and then having it be from NYU (undergrad) asking for money

:lol: lol. Last summer, I always let it go to voicemail because I couldn't take the nerves of answering the phone..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Sprout wrote:
ek5dn wrote:asflkgj getting a 212 number and then having it be from NYU (undergrad) asking for money

:lol: lol. Last summer, I always let it go to voicemail because I couldn't take the nerves of answering the phone..

Terrible advice. I've actually heard of firms not being able to decide on two candidates and bypassing one because she didn't answer her phone. Always answer. It's stupid, sure, but never know.

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sprout wrote:

Terrible advice. I've actually heard of firms not being able to decide on two candidates and bypassing one because she didn't answer her phone. Always answer. It's stupid, sure, but never know.

1) It wasn't advice. 2) That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I call BS on any validity in that anecdote but hey to each their own.

edit: cool use of Anon

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Sprout wrote:

haha I feel you - every time the phone rings these days my heart skips a beat. I feel sorry for anyone who calls me now because I'm sure they can hear the disappointment in my voice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Sprout wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sprout wrote:

1) It wasn't advice. 2) That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I call BS on any validity in that anecdote but hey to each their own.

edit: cool use of Anon

It sounded like advice. And anon because it's a firm I summered at. I agree it's totally stupid.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Tips for phone screeners? Should I expect anything different than from an in-person interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:07 pm

OCI has started rolling out

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 pm

I've gotten CCD emails saying I got interviews, but nothing on the actual Symplicity site. Is that normal? No option to actually sign up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:26 pm

I know of responses from Baker Botts and Armstrong Teasdale

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of responses from Baker Botts and Armstrong Teasdale

Is there anything actually on Symplicity yet though? Any upperclassmen who have been through this before know how the process works? Only asking because I have a phone screener in 30 mins and don't want to miss signing up.

akbkk311

New

Postby akbkk311 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:30 pm

I was able to sign up on simplicity.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:42 pm

akbkk311 wrote:I was able to sign up on simplicity.

Has anyone else been able to? Everyone I've heard from is also unable to sign up on Symplicity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:44 pm

EIW selected for BakerHostetler, signed up for the 9th.
Not selected by AT and Bakerbotts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:14 pm

FUCK THE STL FIRMS...I am way over qualified for those fucking firms, just looooook at my percentiles. And its blah blah blah we want connections, blah blah blah. THEY CAN ALL GO FUCK THEMSELVES!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FUCK THE STL FIRMS...I am way over qualified for those fucking firms, just looooook at my percentiles. And its blah blah blah we want connections, blah blah blah. THEY CAN ALL GO FUCK THEMSELVES!

Same here..not selected by any of the st. louis firms. 15%...

Return to “Legal Employment?