Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 am

Still no journal decisions today... THIS IS RIDICULOUS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Anyone know any gpa/class rank approximations?

Like, what would a 3.5 be, a 3.6, 3.7, 3.8?

From my understanding a 3.45 is already around top 1/3. right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Northwestern Journal decisions are now out as well. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Honestly this is straight bull. #PITCHFORKS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Northwestern Journal decisions are now out as well. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Honestly this is straight bull. #PITCHFORKS

I mean they gave you a release date range of 15th-20th. I don't know why you're so on edge/upset at this point. By all means - get all worked up about it, but at least wait until the 20th to spam this thread

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Northwestern Journal decisions are now out as well. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Honestly this is straight bull. #PITCHFORKS

I mean they gave you a release date range of 15th-20th. I don't know why you're so on edge/upset at this point. By all means - get all worked up about it, but at least wait until the 20th to spam this thread

Yeah but whats the probability that they are gonna come out during the weekend? 0% I imagine. So I assume in that case we will get informed by email that they are coming out on Monday, so they come out on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Upshot why I'm still pissed. We are the 3rd smallest in class size in the t14. Duke is either last or second to last in releasing this information. There is no excuse in how schools triple our size release journal information much earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah but whats the probability that they are gonna come out during the weekend? 0% I imagine. So I assume in that case we will get informed by email that they are coming out on Monday, so they come out on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Upshot why I'm still pissed. We are the 3rd smallest in class size in the t14. Duke is either last or second to last in releasing this information. There is no excuse in how schools triple our size release journal information much earlier.

I'm sure everyone understood your point the first 3-4 times you tried to make it. I think everyone wishes journal info was out already. Its what it is - move on, and if info isn't out on the 20th, #pitchfork all you want

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

The whole "we are the 3rd smallest law school in the T14" rage seems misguided. Aren't most law reviews a % of the class? i.e. more HLR members in the aggregate, more people to grade casenotes. Its a ratio. But it's okay. Lawyers suck at math and you seem to be angry for the sake of being angry.

Maybe this will help.

I see it more like a Shrodinger's Cat type situation. I know I didn't get DLJ. But as soon as we get that e-mail, the proverbial box is open, and that cat is confirmed dead AF, and I'm stuck figuring out how to convince a law firm that "law and technology" is essential to their practice, and explaining that, no, an online journal isn't TTT, its the way of the future. HTH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The whole "we are the 3rd smallest law school in the T14" rage seems misguided. Aren't most law reviews a % of the class? i.e. more HLR members in the aggregate, more people to grade casenotes. Its a ratio. But it's okay. Lawyers suck at math and you seem to be angry for the sake of being angry.

Maybe this will help.

I see it more like a Shrodinger's Cat type situation. I know I didn't get DLJ. But as soon as we get that e-mail, the proverbial box is open, and that cat is confirmed dead AF, and I'm stuck figuring out how to convince a law firm that "law and technology" is essential to their practice, and explaining that, no, an online journal isn't TTT, its the way of the future. HTH

Well lets do math smarty pants. Lets say all 210 Duke law 1ls competed on write on. There are over 510 people in the 1l Harvard class. So, even if ONLY half of Harvard tried to get on HLR (surely it would be much higher), they still have more people than Duke in totality to grade write on materials. What I am pissed at is that ALL the Duke Journals have taken this long. Harvard knew about all their non-HLR journals a while ago, and found out this past week about HLR. Who cares about the % of the class, they still VERY LIKELY had to go through more write on materials than Duke would. They still got it done earlier. So did the WHOLE t14. THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The whole "we are the 3rd smallest law school in the T14" rage seems misguided. Aren't most law reviews a % of the class? i.e. more HLR members in the aggregate, more people to grade casenotes. Its a ratio. But it's okay. Lawyers suck at math and you seem to be angry for the sake of being angry.

Maybe this will help.

Well lets do math smarty pants. Lets say all 210 Duke law 1ls competed on write on. There are over 510 people in the 1l Harvard class. So, even if ONLY half of Harvard tried to get on HLR (surely it would be much higher), they still have more people than Duke in totality to grade write on materials. What I am pissed at is that ALL the Duke Journals have taken this long. Harvard knew about all their non-HLR journals a while ago, and found out this past week about HLR. Who cares about the % of the class, they still VERY LIKELY had to go through more write on materials than Duke would. They still got it done earlier. So did the WHOLE t14. THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Dude. What do you think happens with all of your casenotes once they are submitted? There are fewer rising 3Ls at Duke than at Harvard so there are fewer of us to pretend to read them thoroughly. This whole process scales. You sound foolish arguing that HLS should take longer because they have more people writing casenotes. They also have an equally larger number of people to grade said case notes.

Also, of course all the journal decisions come out at the same time; why wouldn't they? For exclusive journals that's a necessity, for non-exclusives it practically is as well. If you get a non-exclusive journal offer right now but didn't know which, if any, exclusive journal you got on, how in the world would you know whether or not it's in your interests to accept? Calm down and take a deep breath before your heart pops out of your chest the first time a screener at OCI is cut short by 2 minutes or something as similarly mundane as this journal delay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dude. What do you think happens with all of your casenotes once they are submitted? There are fewer rising 3Ls at Duke than at Harvard so there are fewer of us to pretend to read them thoroughly.

This. Come back next summer when you start your SA/internship and tell everyone how easy it is to grade quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dude. What do you think happens with all of your casenotes once they are submitted? There are fewer rising 3Ls at Duke than at Harvard so there are fewer of us to pretend to read them thoroughly.

This. Come back next summer when you start your SA/internship and tell everyone how easy it is to grade quickly.

Pretend to read them thoroughly. I knew case note grading was a scam. Thanks for admitting it. Take too long and not even doing your jobs. What a group of 3ls you are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:52 am

Since w're on the subject of journals... Anyone know how competitive Alaska Law Journal tends to be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:05 am

I'm ignoring all of the hysterics on the thread.

To the 3L who's part of the casenote team on here, is it looking more like the journals will come out closer to tomorrow or closer to the 20th? Do you have a more specific ETA than what we got an the email? If so, it would be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:05 am

On another note... how helpful did/do people find career fairs to be? Does it make sense to go to a career fair to interview with firms that you plan to interview with during OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:On another note... how helpful did/do people find career fairs to be? Does it make sense to go to a career fair to interview with firms that you plan to interview with during OCI?

Curious about this also. From what I've heard, for certain career fairs it is a lot harder to convert screeners to callbacks than it would be at OCI for the same office. If I were unable to turn a career fair screener (for a firm I'm very interested in) into a callback, would it make any sense at all to bid that same office again at OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 am

Another day of no journal. Woo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:08 am

Penn doesn't get journal info until the 22nd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Penn doesn't get journal info until the 22nd.

So we are the second to last t14 if they come out before 22nd. Still not acceptable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:12 pm

3L here. We submitted casenotes already, it's an algorithm (remember the ranking you did?) that's probably holding it up. I have no idea how exclusive ALR is, except that it's easier than L&CP obviously. If you are median or above, you will probably be on an exclusive journal unless you fucked up your casenote. Anyway, it's the weekend. For your sake, please go out and get wasted and forget about these journal assignments that no one will even ask you about during OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here. We submitted casenotes already, it's an algorithm (remember the ranking you did?) that's probably holding it up. I have no idea how exclusive ALR is, except that it's easier than L&CP obviously. If you are median or above, you will probably be on an exclusive journal unless you fucked up your casenote. Anyway, it's the weekend. For your sake, please go out and get wasted and forget about these journal assignments that no one will even ask you about during OCI

Not the poster freaking out about journal. But I do have a curious issue: I had a callback on Thursday and was told they want to move forward asap (in a day or two) but the recruiting person said they will have to wait until journal decisions are out officially before making an offer. Sucks.

Also, if you within .1 points of median, say like a 3.27, will you still have a shot at an exclusive journal? I have heard that this years 1l median isn't actually a 3.3 because some of the professors graded on a 3.1 scale ( I know of at least 2 that did), which would slightly lower the median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here. We submitted casenotes already, it's an algorithm (remember the ranking you did?) that's probably holding it up. I have no idea how exclusive ALR is, except that it's easier than L&CP obviously. If you are median or above, you will probably be on an exclusive journal unless you fucked up your casenote. Anyway, it's the weekend. For your sake, please go out and get wasted and forget about these journal assignments that no one will even ask you about during OCI

Not the poster freaking out about journal. But I do have a curious issue: I had a callback on Thursday and was told they want to move forward asap (in a day or two) but the recruiting person said they will have to wait until journal decisions are out officially before making an offer. Sucks.

Also, if you within .1 points of median, say like a 3.27, will you still have a shot at an exclusive journal? I have heard that this years 1l median isn't actually a 3.3 because some of the professors graded on a 3.1 scale ( I know of at least 2 that did), which would slightly lower the median.

Wtf which professors? You won't out yourself by revealing that ( what with 30-80 people in each class.)

That seems wrong. I don't think the admin would let them get away with that, given how important grades are to the job process, and thus uniformity in the grading process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wtf which professors? You won't out yourself by revealing that ( what with 30-80 people in each class.)

That seems wrong. I don't think the admin would let them get away with that, given how important grades are to the job process, and thus uniformity in the grading process.

Each year the median is from a 3.2-3.3 and there can be variance within the range. So I know that this year's median is not a straight 3.3.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lets just say 1 of the torts professors and 1 of the con law professors. That is all I will say. I know people contacted the admins and their answer is that the exact median each year is from a 3.2-3.3 and there can be variance within the range. So I know that this year's median is not a straight 3.3.

That's weird because I heard median is usually a bit higher than 3.3 every year. So are employers going to know that this years is different, or are we all going to suffer as they assume our class rank is lower than it actually is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lets just say 1 of the torts professors and 1 of the con law professors. That is all I will say. I know people contacted the admins and their answer is that the exact median each year is from a 3.2-3.3 and there can be variance within the range. So I know that this year's median is not a straight 3.3.

That's weird because I heard median is usually a bit higher than 3.3 every year. So are employers going to know that this years is different, or are we all going to suffer as they assume our class rank is lower than it actually is?

No idea. Probably suffer like we are with journal decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Return to “Legal Employment?