Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Has anyone heard from McDermott, Will & Emery DC post callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Officially struck out from Duke Oci... every cb was a rejection and have gotten a rejection email/ letter from every other screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:40 pm

fuck... i have friends who struck out as well... it's an awful situation but try to stay upbeat and just massmail and massmail some more. it's still the middle of hiring season it's not over yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Officially struck out from Duke Oci... every cb was a rejection and have gotten a rejection email/ letter from every other screener.
also, i know this is the last thing you might want to do, but maybe talk to the career office about your interviewing. if your grades are solid enough then maybe it could be your style of interviewing. it's not too late to change it up now to prepare for your interviews following massmail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Officially struck out from Duke Oci... every cb was a rejection and have gotten a rejection email/ letter from every other screener.
also, i know this is the last thing you might want to do, but maybe talk to the career office about your interviewing. if your grades are solid enough then maybe it could be your style of interviewing. it's not too late to change it up now to prepare for your interviews following massmail.
.welp.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 pm

are you the same tone deaf tard who was going on incessantly about pre-oci offers/journal results this summer in the duke 2018 thread? was your earlier post just a set up so you can anonymously humblebrag about your 3 offers? what if someone else who had no offers just replied to you in sympathy? were you just gonna say PSYCHE. I HAVE 3 OFFERS just as you did now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Really sorry to hear that. I know most federal judges hire after 2L or require 3 semesters of grades. That at least gives you the opportunity to pull up any grades & is a path to biglaw. A friend of mine who's a few years older was in the same situation at a peer school & was able to get a clerkship that led to a solid firm job.

Best of luck. Classmates are pulling for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Really sorry to hear that. I know most federal judges hire after 2L or require 3 semesters of grades. That at least gives you the opportunity to pull up any grades & is a path to biglaw. A friend of mine who's a few years older was in the same situation at a peer school & was able to get a clerkship that led to a solid firm job.

that person has 3 pre-oci offers. he/she edited out the post above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

But even if I got 4.0s this semester, my gpa would still be just over median. I don't think that would pull a fed clerkship?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

that person has 3 pre-oci offers. he/she edited out the post above.
Lol. Well in that case let me play them a sad song on the world's smallest violin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But even if I got 4.0s this semester, my gpa would still be just over median. I don't think that would pull a fed clerkship?
I posted the above. not the 3 offer person. genuinely interested in this question. thanks for assuming....i feel bad enough as it is

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I posted the above. not the 3 offer person. genuinely interested in this question. thanks for assuming....i feel bad enough as it is
'

A lot of that will depend on market, writing sample, and intangibles. So really who knows. I would suggest emailing Sara Emley & asking her to talk about where to focus your efforts. She's very nice & helpful - I won't pretend to know what the chances of getting a FedClerk are. Just that its possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

'

A lot of that will depend on market, writing sample, and intangibles. So really who knows. I would suggest emailing Sara Emley & asking her to talk about where to focus your efforts. She's very nice & helpful - I won't pretend to know what the chances of getting a FedClerk are. Just that its possible.
Alum lurker, current fed clerk. Art III is not going to happen from median unless you have something else significant going for you (extensive work experience, strong connection to a particular judge). The problem is that grades/school is the first screen for reviewing apps; you wont make it off the pile with median grades. State supreme court clerkship (or maybe magistrate judge) might happen from median, but obviously wont give you as big a boost for traditional NY/DC biglaw (though could be a big help in smaller markets).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Dinged by Wyrick today via email... Bummed because they were my last Raleigh firm still in the running after OCI and CB. Anybody have suggestions for some Raleigh area firms that I might try to mass mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 pm

lesson from OCI: bidding on NC is tough...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:25 pm

I apologize if this is a silly question but I received an offer over the phone and then got the corresponding offer email. What is the best way to accept the offers? Do I call? Do I mail it in to the firm? Do I scan it and email it back?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if this is a silly question but I received an offer over the phone and then got the corresponding offer email. What is the best way to accept the offers? Do I call? Do I mail it in to the firm? Do I scan it and email it back?

Thanks!
Have a plane fly a banner saying 'I accept'. It's in the NALP thingy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”