Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 am

Didn't see one for Duke, maybe because there's no interest, but hopefully there are a few of us on here who can get this thing going.

OCI Segment I student bidding: July 18-25, 2016

OCI Segment I schedules and wait list available: August 1, 2016, 12pm ET

OCI Segment I interviews at Washington Duke Inn: August 8-11, 2016

Callback days: Friday, August 12 - Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Upper-Level classes begin: Wednesday, August 24, 2016

OCI Segment II interviews at Duke Law School: weekdays, August 24 - September 16, 2016

Public Interest & Government OCI at Duke Law School: weekdays, August 24 - October 7, 2016

Anonymous User

Re: Duke Law OCI 2016 (c/o 2018)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm

There is definitely interest, here's the link to last year's thread for reference: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249676

Godspeed, everyone.

Serett

Diamond

Postby Serett » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:20 pm

GL chickadees

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Anyone have an idea of when journal invites come out? looking at past years threads it looks like around the 12th of July or so?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea of when journal invites come out? looking at past years threads it looks like around the 12th of July or so?

Rising 3L here. We got our invites on July 12th last year, but our grading deadlines have been pushed back. Don't be surprised if it's a little later this year, although they might still get it out to you guys next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Any rising 3Ls that did the Bay Area diversity fair last year? Is it actually significantly harder to convert a screener to a callback at these career fairs (even if its preselect)? Asking because I'm thinking whether I'd rather interview at the diversity fair or at OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:56 pm

First- Venting: It's kind of bs that Journal decisions are so late in the game considering most/if not all of the v40+ are doing pre-oci callbacks and we are gonna be one of the last top schools to know about journal.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First- Venting: It's kind of bs that Journal decisions are so late in the game considering most/if not all of the v40+ are doing pre-oci callbacks and we are gonna be one of the last top schools to know about journal.

Second- callbacks already happening as far as I am aware first hand (also some of these have already made offers): Morgan Lewis DC, Covington DC, Skadden NYC, Clearly DC, Debevoise NYC, Jones Day DC and NYC. It is unfortunate how quickly these things are taking place and how much career services has lacked the info necessary to compete with the other schools that are pushing pre-oci hard.

Is it the schools that are pushing pre-oci hard and not just students reaching out early on their own? I'm working this summer at a place with quite a few other rising 2Ls at t14s and they haven't heard anything from their career services about reaching out to firms pre-OCI (aside from the general advice of reaching out to alumni and doing phone calls).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First- Venting: It's kind of bs that Journal decisions are so late in the game considering most/if not all of the v40+ are doing pre-oci callbacks and we are gonna be one of the last top schools to know about journal.

Second- callbacks already happening as far as I am aware first hand (also some of these have already made offers): Morgan Lewis DC, Covington DC, Skadden NYC, Clearly DC, Debevoise NYC, Jones Day DC and NYC. It is unfortunate how quickly these things are taking place and how much career services has lacked the info necessary to compete with the other schools that are pushing pre-oci hard.

Is it the schools that are pushing pre-oci hard and not just students reaching out early on their own? I'm working this summer at a place with quite a few other rising 2Ls at t14s and they haven't heard anything from their career services about reaching out to firms pre-OCI (aside from the general advice of reaching out to alumni and doing phone calls).

I know that at least 1 of the 3 of YHS are pushing it pretty hard as well as a few others, including schools below us in the t14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know that at least 1 of the 3 of YHS are pushing it pretty hard as well as a few others, including schools below us in the t14.

it'd have to be Y/S because I know for a fact Harvard has received emails from their career services specifically telling them not to interview pre-OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

it'd have to be Y/S because I know for a fact Harvard has received emails from their career services specifically telling them not to interview pre-OCI

Yes
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Are there really offers for firms going out ALREADY? :shock: :shock: Any people in our class get an offer yet? Would love to start now even just for not having to bid those firms!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there really offers for firms going out ALREADY? :shock: :shock: Any people in our class get an offer yet? Would love to start now even just for not having to bid those firms!!

Yep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm

To those who have gotten these interviews/callbacks/offers.... Did you apply directly? Did you talk to somebody first? I am wondering if it is worth it to just apply through some of these firms websites even though they are coming to OCI... what is the general consensus?

I also agree that career services are behind on this. Not really getting useful info for this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To those who have gotten these interviews/callbacks/offers.... Did you apply directly? Did you talk to somebody first? I am wondering if it is worth it to just apply through some of these firms websites even though they are coming to OCI... what is the general consensus?

I also agree that career services are behind on this. Not really getting useful info for this...

You could send out applications cold to a lot of these firms if you have extra time on your hands. To be honest though, unless you're like top 10% + moot court/DLJ or whatever, the vast majority won't respond or will just tell you to bid them at OCI. Last year, I sent out about 100 (I'm above median) and in the end if felt like a waste of time because I got no bites, about 20 emails saying come see us at OCI. It doesn't hurt if you have the time to do it, but generally unless you're top 10% with moot court/DLJ, you're probably not gonna see much out of it.

The one firm I DID hear back from was one where I had reached out to two partners and had coffee/good convos with them for what its worth.

I thought my time was better spent researching firms that I knew I would be bidding on come OCI. Obviously circumstances vary from person to person, if you've got a below median GPA you might want to put in a lot more legwork now so you're not freaking out about potentially striking out come OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Do not worry so much about pre-OCI interviews. The people who got those offers were neurotic DLJ kids for the most part. You will all be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do not worry so much about pre-OCI interviews. The people who got those offers were neurotic DLJ kids for the most part. You will all be fine.

Agreed - for the most part everyone gets incredibly more mileage out of the OCI process than sending out cold emails to recruiters. If you're the restless type, call up some alumni and chat about their firm/work, etc. - that's actually something that'll might come in useful come OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do not worry so much about pre-OCI interviews. The people who got those offers were neurotic DLJ kids for the most part. You will all be fine.

Would second this. One addition, though, is that I was able to turn a mock interview--which career services set up for interested students at firms in NYC and maybe other major markets--into a callback before OCI. Since that required pretty minimal hustling, if career services is offering mock interviews with firms this year, I would recommend taking that opportunity and treating it like a legit screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Would second this. One addition, though, is that I was able to turn a mock interview--which career services set up for interested students at firms in NYC and maybe other major markets--into a callback before OCI. Since that required pretty minimal hustling, if career services is offering mock interviews with firms this year, I would recommend taking that opportunity and treating it like a legit screener.

definitely treat it like a legit screener, but ymmv. my mock was with a 1st year associate who offered to forward my resume, but clearly couldn't pull any strings recruiting wise aside from that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I don't think those of you going for major markets need to be too concerned about pre-OCI interviews, but those of you going to a home regional market would be wise to get in touch before they start looking at local schools (say by the end of July, but ymmv).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Annual reminder for those putting together their bids lists: The DC market is TOUGH and you will probably do worse than you think you should there. Bidding straight DC is a gamble for all but the "3.8 GPA, on DLJ" types. Source: Am a rising 3L who experienced this firsthand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Question for rising 3Ls: did you find career services advice of looking primarily at the 25th percentile rather than the median of offer reports to be good advice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for rising 3Ls: did you find career services advice of looking primarily at the 25th percentile rather than the median of offer reports to be good advice?

YES, the medians are inflated by high performers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Anyone else get a journal email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get a journal email?

Are they out?? *&*^$ I didn't get one.....

Return to “Legal Employment?