course selection and employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarineLaw

New

course selection and employment

Postby MarineLaw » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:56 am

Hi folks,

I'm headed into my 3L year and going into JAG right out of law school. I'm not planning on staying in JAG forever--I'd like to get out after a tour and transition into a labor and employment law practice.

I've interned at the EEOC, but I was wondering whether anyone has had experience lateralling (whether within the private sector, public to private or private to public) where the interviewer was interested in what classes you took in law school. Does course selection factor into lateral hiring?

I ask because while I anticipate getting some good lit experience in JAG, I won't get much L&E, which means I'm limited to how I can beef up my resume and support my motivation to go into private side L&E law. I'm in the top 5% of a T3, for what it's worth. The school background and JAG background will make me a bit of a wildcard in interviewing, which is why I'd like to get some grads' impressions.

Thanks very much!

TripTrip

Gold

Re: course selection and employment

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 am

I have never talked about which classes I took in law school in interviews during law school. It seems pretty far fetched to imagine they'll make a difference five years out.

skeenbr0

New

Postby skeenbr0 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:37 pm

The fact that you took the class won't get you an interview with an L&E firm. It might be something you bring up if they ask you about why you want to do L&E law, but it probably won't come up unless you bring it up.

That said, what else are you doing, taking classes about subjects you aren't interested in? Go ahead and take it and see if you still love L&E law afterwords. I thought I wanted to be a DA until I took Crim Pro and realized that my brain is not wired for 4th Amendment analysis.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:56 pm

I strongly suggest you take L&E classes if you can. Going into the field, firms and agencies expect you to have some knowledge. You can then pair that knowledge with your litigation experience you will get from JAG.

Side note: although you will likely do mostly criminal work, I can tell you how that can translate into L&E depending on the practice. Message me for more.

FWIW, every firm/agency I interviewed with while still in law school, I was heavily asked about my L&E coursework/experience.

reasonable_man

Gold

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Taking the classes is a good idea - but I don't think it will make that big of a difference.

What can help, when looking to transition, is to take L&E CLE classes from the local bar of the jurisdiction in which you want to practice after JAG. I know of more than one person who has networked their way to a job-placement at a CLE event. And its not a bad idea to stay up to date on changes in L&E law as you try to make the transition, so no matter what - you should get some use out of it.

MarineLaw

New

Postby MarineLaw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:42 pm

TripTrip wrote:I have never talked about which classes I took in law school in interviews during law school. It seems pretty far fetched to imagine they'll make a difference five years out.

Ok. Thanks.

skeenbr0 wrote:The fact that you took the class won't get you an interview with an L&E firm. It might be something you bring up if they ask you about why you want to do L&E law, but it probably won't come up unless you bring it up.

That said, what else are you doing, taking classes about subjects you aren't interested in? Go ahead and take it and see if you still love L&E law afterwords. I thought I wanted to be a DA until I took Crim Pro and realized that my brain is not wired for 4th Amendment analysis.

I definitely get this. I've noticed the same thing in my procedure classes versus substantive law classes: I have pulled As in all my substantive law classes and Bs in my procedural classes (civ pro, admin, crim pro 1, crim pro 2). So, I think procedure for me is generally tougher to write a good exam answer on...

I haven't been taking classes I'm not interested in, I've been focusing on taking JAG-relevant classes: i.e. crim pro and trial practice classes (similar to what a future D.A. would target).

reasonable_man wrote:Taking the classes is a good idea - but I don't think it will make that big of a difference.

What can help, when looking to transition, is to take L&E CLE classes from the local bar of the jurisdiction in which you want to practice after JAG. I know of more than one person who has networked their way to a job-placement at a CLE event. And its not a bad idea to stay up to date on changes in L&E law as you try to make the transition, so no matter what - you should get some use out of it.

I hadn't seriously considered the CLE idea. That's great input--thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�