OCI with a B average Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueMountain66

New

OCI with a B average

Post by BlueMountain66 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for someone going into OCI with a B average. At my school that is below median (I'm at a T20).

I'm mostly looking for information as to what stuff I should bid for and how to get a job. Obviously biglaw would be cushy and nice, but I would not be devastated if I don't get it.
Last edited by BlueMountain66 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: OCI with a B average

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:32 pm

BlueMountain66 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for someone going into OCI with a B average. At my school that is below median (I'm at a T20).

I'm mostly looking for information as to what stuff I should bid for and how to get a job. Obviously biglaw would be cushy and nice, but I would not be devastated if I don't get it.
Not to be overly blunt, but it might help to go fully anonymous and identify your school. A B-average gets you vastly different things at Harvard than it does at Boston University.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:34 pm

TripTrip wrote:
BlueMountain66 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for someone going into OCI with a B average. At my school that is below median (I'm at a T20).

Not to be overly blunt, but it might help to go fully anonymous and identify your school. A B-average gets you vastly different things at Harvard than it does at Boston University.
Let's be real though, no one at Harvard or any t14 school would say they were at a "t20." It's WashU, Emory, Vandy, BU etc. Still some variability there, though.

BlueMountain66

New

Post by BlueMountain66 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:

I'm not at Harvard. By T20, I mean one of the schools ranked 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. I'm only asking to get a sense of what I could expect to get job wise.

Meow Meowsworth

New

Post by Meow Meowsworth » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:21 pm

BlueMountain66 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I'm not at Harvard. By T20, I mean one of the schools ranked 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. I'm only asking to get a sense of what I could expect to get job wise.
The point of the question was also that medians vary widely from from T20 to T20. At WUSTL, for example, that's super far below median, where as at other schools, that isn't that far below median. It could make a difference, so it'd be helpful to know the school. Also, bidding advice is going to be difficult without knowing the school. You probably won't get big law, but some T20 schools give you a better chance than others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:36 am

No chance at traditional biglaw unless u have something special going on. Work other angles, bigger firms in markets u have ties to, where your school is, government, etc.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:27 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:No chance at traditional biglaw unless u have something special going on. Work other angles, bigger firms in markets u have ties to, where your school is, government, etc.
Never say never. I had friends with B averages that hustled and got biglaw SAs last year. (@ WUSTL, I might add.)
Advice to OP - hustle, hustle, hustle. And mass mail your absolute brains out.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 am

I have consistently had luck applying for positions where I was below the grade cut-off, sometimes significantly below.

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:39 am

I think it's possible to get past screeners if you're a good writer and have a really good CL, you have connections, you have some other special thing going for you. Once you get a callback, what matters then is how well you interview and how you can present yourself, so make sure you come across as personable and professional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 am

I think TCR is hustle hustle hustle. One thing that people haven't mentioned yet is trying to set up practice interviews or reaching out to alumni in firms to grab coffee or the like. Doing stuff like that will matter a lot for you. People reaching out to do practice interviews with alumni partners can easily end up getting a job - you've gotten past the grades issue and the conversation will be about fit/culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”