Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Arbinshire

New

Re: Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions?

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Don't get a black suit. Black is for tuxedos and funerals. Not work appropriate.
I don't understand the aversion to wearing black suits to work. I mean I agree with you that you shouldn't wear one to work, but only because no one else does and everyone says this. I'm thinking of bucking the trend
You can wear black suits. I do so rather regularly. I will, however, soften it with a colored shirt with a matching tie to provide a contrast. I might also add a pocket square to change the look accordingly.
Don't be this guy.
HAH! Definitely not. That is a perfect example of what not to do.

I should clarify my above statement regarding matching tie. I meant, matching tie as in something that compliments the shirt and doesn't BLEND IN with the shirt. TLDR; Never wear a tie that is the same color as the shirt. Ever.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Does anyone ever look good in a red shirt? I cannot think of any situation in which a red shirt would work.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Depends if you're trying to be pimp, I guess?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:38 pm

I would look at combatgent; their stuff is dirt cheap, generally pretty sharp, and of acceptable quality for biglaw purposes.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:I would look at combatgent; their stuff is dirt cheap, generally pretty sharp, and of acceptable quality for biglaw purposes.
I wouldn't unless you fit the prototypical standard measurement. Off the rack isn't made to specific measurements. Odds are you're going to need to have it tailored, raising the price from $230 to whatever you need to have done. For about ~170 more you can have a Made To Measure suit. While not perfect, it's generally a better option than something off the rack.

Now, if you're going big-law, go big. Go bespoke. Low-end bespoke with a muslin-fit pattern starts around $1500 and goes up to $5000. Bespoke is always better than MTM or OTR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Does anyone ever look good in a red shirt? I cannot think of any situation in which a red shirt would work.
I have honest to god seen law students dressed for job interviews like the guy in the picture I posted.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Arbinshire wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:I would look at combatgent; their stuff is dirt cheap, generally pretty sharp, and of acceptable quality for biglaw purposes.
I wouldn't unless you fit the prototypical standard measurement. Off the rack isn't made to specific measurements. Odds are you're going to need to have it tailored, raising the price from $230 to whatever you need to have done. For about ~170 more you can have a Made To Measure suit. While not perfect, it's generally a better option than something off the rack.

Now, if you're going big-law, go big. Go bespoke. Low-end bespoke with a muslin-fit pattern starts around $1500 and goes up to $5000. Bespoke is always better than MTM or OTR.
Got the impression OP was talking about more than suits (e.g. their slacks are dirt cheap and legit), but yeah that's a good caveat w/r/t suits.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Don't get a black suit. Black is for tuxedos and funerals. Not work appropriate.
I don't understand the aversion to wearing black suits to work. I mean I agree with you that you shouldn't wear one to work, but only because no one else does and everyone says this. I'm thinking of bucking the trend
You can wear black suits. I do so rather regularly. I will, however, soften it with a colored shirt with a matching tie to provide a contrast. I might also add a pocket square to change the look accordingly.
Don't be this guy.
Michael Weston looks good as fuck in that getup. The shirt wouldn't match my complexion but he pulls that shit off.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The problem with black suits isn't how the color looks on people, it's that traditionally it was reserved for the most formal occasions (tuxedo-appropriate occasions, funerals) and not every day. If you don't care about that - and there's no reason you should - then wear black if you like it. Just keep in mind some people will believe that's inappropriate and whether that matters to you.
People are stupid. Just think of it that way and give no fucks about their opinion, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:49 pm

lawman84 wrote:Michael Weston looks good as fuck in that getup. The shirt wouldn't match my complexion but he pulls that shit off.
He looks like an actor playing a role. Not quite a respected attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Michael Weston looks good as fuck in that getup. The shirt wouldn't match my complexion but he pulls that shit off.
I've seen "respected attorneys" walking around in golf shirts. If you need a suit to feel respected, you're compensating for a lack of something. :lol:

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:23 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've seen "respected attorneys" walking around in golf shirts. If you need a suit to feel respected, you're compensating for a lack of something. :lol:
I'm not a fan of Golf Shirts. I am, however, a huge fan of a suit that feels and looks good. I benefit by this as it gives my total noob-attorney ass a modicum of respect. In this market, I'll take any advantage I can get. I've seen a difference in how I'm treated when I'm casual vs how I am dressed for work. I'll take that advantage, thank you.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Arbinshire wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not a fan of Golf Shirts. I am, however, a huge fan of a suit that feels and looks good. I benefit by this as it gives my total noob-attorney ass a modicum of respect. In this market, I'll take any advantage I can get. I've seen a difference in how I'm treated when I'm casual vs how I am dressed for work. I'll take that advantage, thank you.
Great?

But you didn't address the point being made.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's a cool theory and I encourage you to put it into action as a first year associate at an all-business attire law firm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 pm

lawman84 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
Don't be this guy.
Michael Weston looks good as fuck in that getup. The shirt wouldn't match my complexion but he pulls that shit off.
OMG no. No one pulls off a red shirt. Except maybe the pimp previously mentioned. Red dress shirts are just horribly horribly wrong.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
Don't be this guy.
OMG no. No one pulls off a red shirt. Except maybe the pimp previously mentioned. Red dress shirts are just horribly horribly wrong.
He definitely pulls it off. Red doesn't work with my complexion.
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's a cool theory and I encourage you to put it into action as a first year associate at an all-business attire law firm
It's not a theory. You earn respect by being good at what you do, not by wearing nice clothes. I'll wear what is expected of me. But I won't expect respect because of it. And I certainly am not going to be that douche talking trash about people for wearing black suits.

And if I could pull off that look, I'd totally wear it.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Right. You don't earn respect by dressing a certain way but you sure can lose it by dressing like a doofus going to junior prom.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Right. You don't earn respect by dressing a certain way but you sure can lose it by dressing like a doofus going to junior prom.
If you lose respect for a person for wearing a black suit, you're the doofus. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:49 pm

I do lose respect for someone wearing a red dress shirt and red tie, though.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I do lose respect for someone wearing a red dress shirt and red tie, though.
What happens if they pull it off? I had a professor who wore green or orange dress shirts and ties to class. Dude pulled it off. Was perfect for his look. If I tried to wear the same, I'd look like an idiot. I can't hate on that. If you have it, play it up.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:58 pm

I didn't say green or orange though. I've seen plenty of colored shirts work. Just not red. Maybe black, too.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 pm

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I do lose respect for someone wearing a red dress shirt and red tie, though.
What happens if they pull it off? I had a professor who wore green or orange dress shirts and ties to class. Dude pulled it off. Was perfect for his look. If I tried to wear the same, I'd look like an idiot. I can't hate on that. If you have it, play it up.
You should realize the legal profession is a conservative one. While one might be able to stylistically pull a look off and not look terrible doing so, the senior partner with decades of playing a particular role may not so think so. Granted, circumstances may be different, but those are the exception and certainly not the rule. It would be a rare case indeed that a first-year associate could pull that off and not ruffle a feather or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 am

lawman84 deff struggles, no one listen to its advice.

That shirt tie combo of Mike Weston looks terrible. No client is going to "respect" you in that, no matter how well "earned" it is. Part of "earning" things in this world is unfortunately based on other people's perceptions of you, and how you look is the first thing people see. Your look is part of your overall image, and your overall brand. Your work product is a huge part of your brand as well, and so are other attributes like timeliness. However, that red shirt shows poor judgment (and that'll be reflected in your image). Partners in golf shirts probably don't wear them in front of clients, unless they've already developed a relationship with that client. Also, golf shirts are something you'd see at places that a Biglaw client would be seen, e.g. country clubs, golf courses, at their own offices, etc. You wouldn't catch a lot of people walking into any of those places wearing that Mike Weston getup.

What I'm trying to say is basically... Take a lap.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Post by imalreadyamember? » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:24 am

Nice troll but that outfit looks fucking terrible and you know it. If I had to guess without knowing I'd say he's playing the devil in a shitty B movie right? If he's not then he's dressed the part.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:lawman84 deff struggles, no one listen to its advice.

That shirt tie combo of Mike Weston looks terrible. No client is going to "respect" you in that, no matter how well "earned" it is. Part of "earning" things in this world is unfortunately based on other people's perceptions of you, and how you look is the first thing people see. Your look is part of your overall image, and your overall brand. Your work product is a huge part of your brand as well, and so are other attributes like timeliness. However, that red shirt shows poor judgment (and that'll be reflected in your image). Partners in golf shirts probably don't wear them in front of clients, unless they've already developed a relationship with that client. Also, golf shirts are something you'd see at places that a Biglaw client would be seen, e.g. country clubs, golf courses, at their own offices, etc. You wouldn't catch a lot of people walking into any of those places wearing that Mike Weston getup.

Lawman is living the dream, man.

The world ain't so black and white.

I get it. Lawyers are risk-averse, conservative people. They don't like to stand out. But it's hard to notice people who do their best not to be noticed. Hell, you anon-posted this when there's no reason at all to go anon here. :lol:

I'm not telling anyone to go out and wear the Michael Weston getup. Probably can't pull it off. But I am telling people to stop fretting over what others think and wear what they think looks good (that fits within the business casual or formal approach their law firm takes, of course).
Arbinshire wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
You should realize the legal profession is a conservative one. While one might be able to stylistically pull a look off and not look terrible doing so, the senior partner with decades of playing a particular role may not so think so. Granted, circumstances may be different, but those are the exception and certainly not the rule. It would be a rare case indeed that a first-year associate could pull that off and not ruffle a feather or two.
That's the problem with biglaw. It neuters people.

FoxyBoi

New

Post by FoxyBoi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:38 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lawman84 deff struggles, no one listen to its advice.

Lawman is living the dream, man.

The world ain't so black and white.

I get it. Lawyers are risk-averse, conservative people. They don't like to stand out. But it's hard to notice people who do their best not to be noticed. Hell, you anon-posted this when there's no reason at all to go anon here. :lol:

I'm not telling anyone to go out and wear the Michael Weston getup. Probably can't pull it off. But I am telling people to stop fretting over what others think and wear what they think looks good (that fits within the business casual or formal approach their law firm takes, of course).
Arbinshire wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
That's the problem with biglaw. It neuters people.
Then why are you still doing it (I guess I'm assuming you're in Biglaw, but based on your fashion advice I guess that might be surprising)? I agree with the people above, you struggle. No one pulls off that shirt/tie. It's straight up high school prom.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”