Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions?

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:56 am

FoxyBoi wrote:Then why are you still doing it (I guess I'm assuming you're in Biglaw, but based on your fashion advice I guess that might be surprising)? I agree with the people above, you struggle. No one pulls off that shirt/tie. It's straight up high school prom.
Bruh, I'm a summer associate. I am living the dream. Going to be graduating with no debt and the ability to choose what I want to do and where I want to work. May or may not choose biglaw. But if they chose to fire me because my attire wasn't conservative enough, I'd be quite happy to move on.

I'll wear what I like. Not what I think the senior partner will like.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:07 am

lawman84 wrote:That's the problem with biglaw. It neuters people.
This doesn't have anything to do with biglaw and everything to do with the fact that a red shirt and tie combo is just butt ugly. There are absolutely things that look great that aren't biglaw-approved or appropriate. A red shirt and red tie combo isn't one. It's not that it's not conservative, it's that it's hideous.

(Also I'm assuming you're not going into lit because lol at wearing what you like in front of a judge and jury.)

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:07 am

Sometimes you just need to smile and wave.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:11 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
This doesn't have anything to do with biglaw and everything to do with the fact that a red shirt and tie combo is just butt ugly. There are absolutely things that look great that aren't biglaw-approved or appropriate. A red shirt and red tie combo isn't one. It's not that it's not conservative, it's that it's hideous.

(Also I'm assuming you're not going into lit because lol at wearing what you like in front of a judge and jury.)
Lit all day, Nony. I've got my purple suit ready for trial. The jurors will equate me with Barney and that will be an auto-win.

Like I said, red doesn't work for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:14 am

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Lit all day, Nony. I've got my purple suit ready for trial. The jurors will equate me with Barney and that will be an auto-win.

What a troll. Possibly a 0L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:14 am

I would love to try cases against someone who made jurors think of Barney. Shortest time to verdict in my favor ever.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I've already covered where I'm at in the world. And since I'm not anon, you can do your own fact-checking. Come on, my friend, keep up. :lol:

You don't have a purple suit in your closet?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Nah, he's a 2L with a SA. And doubtless a closet full of purple suits.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:19 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I would love to try cases against someone who made jurors think of Barney. Shortest time to verdict in my favor ever.
You'd think. But I've seen jury deliberations. It's truly enlightening. Plus, everybody loves that big purple dinosaur. Except this girl:
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... ma_te.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:20 am

there's no reason at all to go anon here.

+1
something here about inconsistency in enforcement of principles being tantamount to intellectual incompetence
Last edited by kaysta on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 am

See, now I know you're trolling, or at least you don't know anyone with kids, because all the parents I know start twitching violently with rage when Barney comes on.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:25 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:See, now I know you're trolling, or at least you don't know anyone with kids, because all the parents I know start twitching violently with rage when Barney comes on.
Shit. I did not anticipate this.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:25 am

Do you guys not wear pocket squares with your suits everyday? I feel so weird without one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:34 am

Gooner91 wrote:Do you guys not wear pocket squares with your suits everyday? I feel so weird without one.
No. But I do want to add some to my wardrobe.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Does anyone ever look good in a red shirt? I cannot think of any situation in which a red shirt would work.
If you're playing Satan in a short lived CW show, maybe?

ETA: or working as a strip club dj. Although those don't really look "good", they just look fitting.

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Does anyone ever look good in a red shirt? I cannot think of any situation in which a red shirt would work.
If you're playing Satan in a short lived CW show, maybe?

ETA: or working as a strip club dj. Although those don't really look "good", they just look fitting.
File NHL coaches under your last line. They wear some of the worst shirt/tie combos known to man, but they do it with pride and regularly. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:42 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:Do you guys not wear pocket squares with your suits everyday? I feel so weird without one.
No. But I do want to add some to my wardrobe.
I have a bunch I received as a gift. I want to wear them, but feel like it would be overkill at my casual firm. Saving them for parties and events.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”