Canadian employment with TN visa at non-Biglaw firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
imjustakid

New

Canadian employment with TN visa at non-Biglaw firms

Postby imjustakid » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Some people say I am at a disadvantage vs US citizens, but I don't really understand why. I can get a TN visa in a single day without much trouble renewable every 3 years (usually 3 years which is the max) indefinitely. Is there really a stigma where Canadians are not hired by non-Biglaw firms? If so, what is the justification for this?

Anonymous User

Re: Canadian employment with TN visa at non-Biglaw firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:31 pm

For federal gov't jobs, you are. I know that you wouldn't get paid for a clerkship in the continental U.S. For other jobs, no one asks. If they do ask, you say you don't requirement sponsorship. And usually application forms say something like "do you require sponsorship?". I'm at a non-big law firm and no one asked. I just took care of all the paper work before I started.

Return to “Legal Employment�