DOJ Summer Law Intern Program (SLIP) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Summer Law Intern Program (SLIP)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I have wanted to work at DOJ for some time now, and to be honest it is one of the main reasons why I have applied to law school. A bit about me, I have interned at DoS and Congressional Committee while working on my MPP which I just finished in the Spring. Next steps are starting at George Mason Law School in August.

I understand that I am bit early--as applications do not open up for another month--but I have two questions: 1) has anyone out there applied to, or completed this program; and (2) what does DOJ use for evaluative criteria? (from what I understand, decisions are made in October, but 1L fall semester grades do not come out until December)

bretby

Bronze

Re: DOJ Summer Law Intern Program (SLIP)

Post by bretby » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have wanted to work at DOJ for some time now, and to be honest it is one of the main reasons why I have applied to law school. A bit about me, I have interned at DoS and Congressional Committee while working on my MPP which I just finished in the Spring. Next steps are starting at George Mason Law School in August.

I understand that I am bit early--as applications do not open up for another month--but I have two questions: 1) has anyone out there applied to, or completed this program; and (2) what does DOJ use for evaluative criteria? (from what I understand, decisions are made in October, but 1L fall semester grades do not come out until December)
You're not eligible to apply until your 2L summer.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:06 pm

you're not going to be able to get SLIP for 1L summer. chances are slim getting it 2L summer unless you've got top grades, especially coming out of Mason. You can also try for summer volunteer internships (SLIP is paid) 2L year too but even those are still fairly competitive. And even getting those positions doesn't translate to a full time offer. SLIP helps. Volunteer is just a nice resume line. Since you're in Mason, you could try to intern in the Fall/Spring 2L year also.

i'd say temper your expectations though and have backup plans if you don't get DOJ.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 pm

I agree with most of the above, but I will add that I think high grades are more important than school pedigree (depends a little on the component and who's looking at applications). And being able to demonstrate commitment to public service is important.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Good input. I have a friend who got into SLIP as a 1L, but he was at Georgetown (and to tell you the truth he didn't even like it and is summer associate at biglaw now). Is school rank (even without any 1L grades) that important here?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:14 pm

They must have been a part-time student and still categorized as a 1L in their second year or something, because you have to have one semester of grades by the application deadline in October. You won't be able to submit an application.

Unless he meant an unpaid non-SLIP internship or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 pm

That is possible, and most likely what happened, as I have not confirmed which program he was in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I agree with most of the above, but I will add that I think high grades are more important than school pedigree (depends a little on the component and who's looking at applications). And being able to demonstrate commitment to public service is important.
Understand this might not be a useful distinction, but are we talking more like top 10% or more like top 5% / top 5 students here (assuming T-14)? I've gotten the sense top 10% is competitive for some clerkships, but not really for the big-boy districts / appellate level stuff; just trying to get a feel if there's a similar parallel for SLIP / honors program.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:36 pm

What's George Mason School of Law? I thought it was ASSLAW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I agree with most of the above, but I will add that I think high grades are more important than school pedigree (depends a little on the component and who's looking at applications). And being able to demonstrate commitment to public service is important.
Understand this might not be a useful distinction, but are we talking more like top 10% or more like top 5% / top 5 students here (assuming T-14)? I've gotten the sense top 10% is competitive for some clerkships, but not really for the big-boy districts / appellate level stuff; just trying to get a feel if there's a similar parallel for SLIP / honors program.
Many (IME most) DOJ attorneys have clerked but the standards are lower if we're just talking about SLIP. anecdotally i know ppl that have gotten SLIP with top 25%. if the endgame is for DOJ employment though, I'd think clerking grades -> clerkship is the play.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 am

Former SLIP here. Probably depends on the office regarding competitiveness. My civil non-immigration branch was split into two groups of students. One half all came from top law school, probably had good grades, and we're splitting their summer with big law. The second group were from schools a good deal outside the T14 but all probably were top of their classes. Alternatively, I think a deep commitment to public service with strong prior government work experience can make up for lack luster grades.

SLIP is definitely not guaranteed acceptance into Honors. Most attorneys enter DOJ as laterals.

rockosmodernlife

New

Post by rockosmodernlife » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:45 am

Last edited by rockosmodernlife on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former SLIP here. Probably depends on the office regarding competitiveness. My civil non-immigration branch was split into two groups of students. One half all came from top law school, probably had good grades, and we're splitting their summer with big law. The second group were from schools a good deal outside the T14 but all probably were top of their classes. Alternatively, I think a deep commitment to public service with strong prior government work experience can make up for lack luster grades.

SLIP is definitely not guaranteed acceptance into Honors. Most attorneys enter DOJ as laterals.
I did SLIP in the Tax division during my bar summer (after 3L) year. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it, but I ended up taking my biglaw offer. The interns were maybe 1/2 top schools and 1/2 top 5% of lower-tier schools. They made no funnel offers my year (2010), although I imagine it would have been helpful to have done SLIP if I had applied for the honors program.

My impression is that the program was initially conceived of as an answer to biglaw SA positions, allowing the DOJ to attract candidates that might otherwise go private sector, but bureaucracy and politics keeps it from really filling that role. A shame really, as I think the DOJ loses out on a lot of excellent candidates as a result.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:37 pm

rockosmodernlife wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:you're not going to be able to get SLIP for 1L summer. chances are slim getting it 2L summer unless you've got top grades, especially coming out of Mason. You can also try for summer volunteer internships (SLIP is paid) 2L year too but even those are still fairly competitive. And even getting those positions doesn't translate to a full time offer. SLIP helps. Volunteer is just a nice resume line. Since you're in Mason, you could try to intern in the Fall/Spring 2L year also.

i'd say temper your expectations though and have backup plans if you don't get DOJ.
my interviewer made it very clear they're looking for people with a commitment to public service. They don't just want some dork that can write a good brief.
Comments about school rank and grades aside, I think this is key if you want to be happy there. If you are just looking for a cushy government job, you don't want to be at the DOJ. Those that thrive there are really looking at it as public service.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”