Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaysta

Bronze

Re: Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm

lol at the ninja edit-
you really are a weirdo

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:10 pm

kaysta wrote:lol at the ninja edit-
you really are a weirdo

is this brut?

I am from a very rural background and my parents were civil servants. I work in biglaw now because I make mistakes. I like it except when I don't. Most of my law school friends absolutely hate it. I normally recommend that people don't go to law school. Nice to meet you.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:14 pm

oh shit it's burt!

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:21 pm

and also, to be clear, i like my job more than i dislike it. it's not a matter of disliking it. it's being constantly terrified that i don't have a real future in it and that even if i last a while in biglaw, long term career stuff is a total black box.

i just think the WOW THESE PEOPLE ARE WHINERS thing is totally misguided. i know very smart folks who worked various white color jobs, and still the vast majority dislike biglaw.

i actually think this is one of the reasons that being a PD is a pretty sick gig outside of the pay: long term career prospects are clearer and more solid than some dude who moved commas and Dechert for three years. you might disagree, but think it's pretty true.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:22 pm

And this is why some biglaw lawyers don't enjoy their jobs.

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:53 pm

smaug wrote:and also, to be clear, i like my job more than i dislike it. it's not a matter of disliking it. it's being constantly terrified that i don't have a real future in it and that even if i last a while in biglaw, long term career stuff is a total black box.

i just think the WOW THESE PEOPLE ARE WHINERS thing is totally misguided. i know very smart folks who worked various white color jobs, and still the vast majority dislike biglaw.

i actually think this is one of the reasons that being a PD is a pretty sick gig outside of the pay: long term career prospects are clearer and more solid than some dude who moved commas and Dechert for three years. you might disagree, but think it's pretty true.
crying too hard to cogently rebut copy paste from another website

nice to know youre reading all my posts, its flattering that I have a fanbase, tho its jsut one fucking weirdo, and its a little gay

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:59 pm

kaysta wrote:
smaug wrote:and also, to be clear, i like my job more than i dislike it. it's not a matter of disliking it. it's being constantly terrified that i don't have a real future in it and that even if i last a while in biglaw, long term career stuff is a total black box.

nice to know youre reading all my posts, its flattering that I have a fanbase, tho its jsut one fucking weirdo, and its a little gay

Sorry to put this entertaining fight on hold, but don't use "gay" as a putdown, dude. I mean, how old are you?

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:32 pm

kaysta wrote:

as nony can attest i'm well versed in all aspects of BL scholarship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:15 am

OP here. At a smaller firm I worked at, my boss would have about 3-4 active complex cases and about 7-10 other smaller cases. Because everything in lit is basically scheduled based on the court's scheduling order, I didn't think they were so bad. Vast majority of MSJ motions or any other replies/responses were based off templates already used in the past so I didn't think it was super hard so long as I knew the issue at dispute thoroughly. I usually had 7-8 hour work days, half of which were just redditting all day because I paced myself knowing how long any particular project would take.

Is this any different at larger firms?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. At a smaller firm I worked at, my boss would have about 3-4 active complex cases and about 7-10 other smaller cases. Because everything in lit is basically scheduled based on the court's scheduling order, I didn't think they were so bad. Vast majority of MSJ motions or any other replies/responses were based off templates already used in the past so I didn't think it was super hard so long as I knew the issue at dispute thoroughly. I usually had 7-8 hour work days, half of which were just redditting all day because I paced myself knowing how long any particular project would take.

Is this any different at larger firms?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:39 am

I'm coming up on a year in big law (litigation). To be honest, what I find worst about the job is that people are frequently complaining about hating it (wanting to quit the law, hating the firm, anger at particular senior associates/partners). I am not a big optimist in general but I basically don't complain because what's the point? It just makes the job worse for other people to hear your complaints, and any job where you are paid a lot to work a lot under high stress will have a downside. My experience is some of the work is very interesting, other work is more boring and has to get done. My least favorite thing is being tasked with researching a topic where I know that it is extremely unlikely there is supporting case law. I generally enjoy the job and like being an attorney, but I can confirm that a majority of the attorneys I work with (NYC big law V20) do not like the job.

Return to “Legal Employment�