Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Diamond

Re: Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:51 am

kryptix wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what are the best options if I'm a first year in lit and think I'd be a better fit in transactional, but my firm is more lit-focused and couldn't/wouldn't let me switch departments. I know most of this is firm/school dependent, but I don't really know what my roadmap should be.

You can always try to lateral by networking (perhaps be willing to drop a class year while you're at it). Also if you're a good performer you could try to get some work from trans partners directly and if they like you have them go to bat for you to make the switch?

Credited. I've seen 2nd year lit attorneys lateral to be 1st year transactional attorneys. It's probably not easy (the transactional practice is going to be in a position where it truly needs juniors), but it is possible. It's also possible within your own firm, depending on how busy the respective practice areas are and how rigid the firm is about things like that (still rare though).

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:On a different note that is of course totally unrelated to the subject of this thread, raise your hand if you're working this holiday weekend.

ayup

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:06 pm

i'm a litigator and i get a lot of spam emails for tech transactions jobs from HARRISON BARNES, OLYMPIAN RECRUITER

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:09 pm

bern victim wrote:i'm a litigator and i get a lot of spam emails for tech transactions jobs from HARRISON BARNES, OLYMPIAN RECRUITER

Surprised he had time to send all those emails while competing in the playoffs.

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
bern victim wrote:i'm a litigator and i get a lot of spam emails for tech transactions jobs from HARRISON BARNES, OLYMPIAN RECRUITER

Surprised he had time to send all those emails while competing in the playoffs.

guess you didn't watch game 7

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm

btw i stumbled across this completely insane harrison barnes rant the other day. it's amazing. read all 10000 words of it.

http://www.bcgsearch.com/article/60637/ ... -In-House/

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:12 pm

That looks like the firm profile pic of a sith lord.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:01 pm

WhiteCollarBlueShirt wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
clshopeful wrote:seems like transactional work is really the killer...so boring, such trivial work, barely involves law/arguing

This is the best part of being a transactional lawyer, besides the exit ops

This is the worst part in my opinion (but it is the part that people who enjoy biglaw love and yearn for). These are the people who talk to opposing counsel at the end and say, "Hey that was well fought, can't wait to go up against you again!" I'll draft novel provisions and analyze terms all day, but what I don't have time or patience for is negotiating terms so far removed from the business purpose or negotiating the same terms over and over again just to tip the needle on what's market--that shit is woefully boring and a waste of brainpower.

Edit: For what it's worth, I am very patient and friendly with opposing counsel. The thing I hate more than negotiating itself, are the people who feel the need to be rude, shout, or take things personally.

This is exactly what happens where I work right now. 1L trans gig.

My projects include going over current contracts and looking for things like assignment clause (since we need to assign to our new entity), etc. My boss will spend hours, days even, making pointless amendments to the contract, like specifying the service we provide is only available for a certain geographic location, and then being like ''now we need the client to sign it'' and make a huge deal about it, when in reality, it doesn't matter, doesn't change anything. It seems like trans work is so much about stressing over minute details that have no affect at all on whats going on.

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WhiteCollarBlueShirt wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
clshopeful wrote:seems like transactional work is really the killer...so boring, such trivial work, barely involves law/arguing

This is the best part of being a transactional lawyer, besides the exit ops

This is the worst part in my opinion (but it is the part that people who enjoy biglaw love and yearn for). These are the people who talk to opposing counsel at the end and say, "Hey that was well fought, can't wait to go up against you again!" I'll draft novel provisions and analyze terms all day, but what I don't have time or patience for is negotiating terms so far removed from the business purpose or negotiating the same terms over and over again just to tip the needle on what's market--that shit is woefully boring and a waste of brainpower.

Edit: For what it's worth, I am very patient and friendly with opposing counsel. The thing I hate more than negotiating itself, are the people who feel the need to be rude, shout, or take things personally.

This is exactly what happens where I work right now. 1L trans gig.

My projects include going over current contracts and looking for things like assignment clause (since we need to assign to our new entity), etc. My boss will spend hours, days even, making pointless amendments to the contract, like specifying the service we provide is only available for a certain geographic location, and then being like ''now we need the client to sign it'' and make a huge deal about it, when in reality, it doesn't matter, doesn't change anything. It seems like trans work is so much about stressing over minute details that have no affect at all on whats going on.

lit work is exactly the same hth

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Yeah, I would imagine if you find making sure a contract has the proper geographic limits in it is tedious and don't see why it matters, you won't like lit either.

Biglaw Investor

New

Postby Biglaw Investor » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Of course there are Biglaw lawyers that enjoy their jobs. I think there's a bit of selection bias going on with posters to this forum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I love it. T&E / mostly tax, tho. Would hate corporate. But I know people who like it.

Different anon. Love tax, would hate corporate.

Third anon, also in T&E. I love it as well. Super interesting clients. I hear about my friend's work lives, and I cringe. I try to lie to them about how much greener the grass is over here so they don't hate me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:41 pm

One midsize firm in a large metro market requires 2400 billable hours for about 40-50K below market pay. Why do they do this? That's 10 billable hours per day M-F. But we know nobody only works 10 hours a day. In reality that's like being at work 12-14 hours a day. F that S.

clshopeful

Bronze

Postby clshopeful » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One midsize firm in a large metro market requires 2400 billable hours for about 40-50K below market pay. Why do they do this? That's 10 billable hours per day M-F. But we know nobody only works 10 hours a day. In reality that's like being at work 12-14 hours a day. F that S.

To me all that billable requirement does it encourage unethical billing

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 pm

clshopeful wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One midsize firm in a large metro market requires 2400 billable hours for about 40-50K below market pay. Why do they do this? That's 10 billable hours per day M-F. But we know nobody only works 10 hours a day. In reality that's like being at work 12-14 hours a day. F that S.

To me all that billable requirement does it encourage unethical billing

How can someone bill 10 hours a day and last more than 6 months? I think 2400 hour billing requirement itself is unethical. Even 2000 is too much.

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Biglaw Investor wrote:Of course there are Biglaw lawyers that enjoy their jobs. I think there's a bit of selection bias going on with posters to this forum.

yeah Imean for fucks sake. I'm bored with this, I'll just start 10 threads asking Does anyone really like working as a PD?
it suits your personality or it doesnt, there is ample information on this site to answer this incredibly generalized question.
I'm working this weekend, but probably only one day, and probably not in the office at all. I know at least two people who are working this entire weekend, one is an editor and the other;s a photographer.
the money is fantastic, the hours are what they are--if you have any kind of ambition at all, you'll be working long hours, regardless of what profession you're in. Most of all, I'm happy not to be working shorter hours in a PD office for shit pay, defending murderers and rapists amidst the mindblowing incompetence.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:39 pm

lmao

are you even a lawyer?

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:43 pm

did I hurt your feelings

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:44 pm

kaysta wrote:did I hurt your feelings

did I hurt yours? seems like a defensive way of saying "no, i have no idea what i'm talking about"

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 pm

sick burn bro

"are you even a lawyer" seems like defensive way of saying "I dont agree but am crying too hard to cogently rebut"

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:50 pm

kaysta wrote:sick burn bro

"are you even a lawyer" seems like defensive way of saying "I dont agree but am crying too hard to cogently rebut"

OK:

(1) PDs have a pretty sick gig outside of the pay
(2) biglaw is generally incompatible with life for most people
(3) hours are not the problem with biglaw
(4) working this weekend is pretty lol for a lot of folks because unless you have a deal or a deadline that's pressing folks actually take this weekend off. they still might work some, but it's actually expected that you don't work for once
(5) the money isn't really fantastic compared to the debt loads that post people have and despite the pay tons of folks jump as soon as they can because biglaw isn't compatible with life
(6) your idea of "ambition" is misguided and laughable. enjoy your tiny pink protestant work ethic, tho

given how laughable all the above is, my assumption is that you're not a big lawyer. maybe, MAYBE you're like a 1L summer or something lol. but i kinda doubt that too.

ETA: i enjoyed it when you came out of nowhere to burn blue lotus but serious who the fuck are you. you seem kinda dumb. classmate of hers? would explain a lot.

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:58 pm

This thread could have been avoided with the search function

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:00 pm

smaug wrote:

OK:
yeah, no, this is neither cogent nor a rebuttal.
also, who the fuck are you that you have time and mental energy to waste on this? :lol:
yr kind of a weirdo

(1) PDs have a pretty sick gig outside of the pay wrong
yeah, so
up for debate, they seem to be a problem for some
(4) working this weekend is pretty lol for a lot of folks because unless you have a deal or a deadline that's pressing folks actually take this weekend off. they still might work some, but it's actually expected that you don't work for once
ok. go take a poll, idgaf on this one, I'm sure most people aren't working, who cares
(5) the money isn't really fantastic compared to the debt loads that post people have and despite the pay tons of folks jump as soon as they can because biglaw isn't compatible with life

go fuck yourself you privileged little trust fund piece of shit, I guess daddy is paying all your bills, so you dont need a salary right? maybe you personally make better money selling your ass on the street, but not everyone wants to go that way
(6) your idea of "ambition" is misguided and laughable. enjoy your tiny pink protestant work ethic, tho
thanks doll, same to you

given how laughable all the above is, my assumption is that you're not a big lawyer. maybe, MAYBE you're like a 1L summer or something lol. but i kinda doubt that too.

ETA: i enjoyed it when you came out of nowhere to burn blue lotus but serious who the fuck are you. you seem kinda dumb. classmate of hers? would explain a lot.

yep, I'm a classmate, right in one

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:03 pm

kaysta wrote:
smaug wrote:

OK:
yeah, no, this is neither cogent nor a rebuttal.
also, who the fuck are you that you have time and mental energy to waste on this? :lol:
yr kind of a weirdo

(1) PDs have a pretty sick gig outside of the pay wrong
yeah, so
up for debate, they seem to be a problem for some
ok. go take a poll, idgaf on this one, I'm sure most people aren't working, who cares

go fuck yourself you privileged little trust fund piece of shit, I guess daddy is paying all your bills, so you dont need a salary right? maybe you personally make better money selling your ass on the street, but not everyone wants to go that way
thanks doll, same to you

yep, I'm a classmate, right in one

i mean if you we're a classmate you're kinda inherently dumb so i'm at least right on two

lost my shit @ the bolded. pretty amazingly wrong on that one.

what do you do, kaysta? if you were one of BL's original classmates we should be from the same law school cohort. tell me about your wonderful life as a first year associate, if you have a biglaw job. i'm serious.

i'm guessing you work for a DA's office or something and DREAM BIG about the salary that COULD HAVE BEEN if only you landed with the CREAM OF THE CROP at BU

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 pm

nah lets hear more about how wrong I am that you're a trust fund kid and daddy isn't paying your bills
I'm serious, I'm really interested in your life and your feelings, cause you seem like a fucking weirdo, as previously referenced

Return to “Legal Employment�