Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:28 am

I havent met one yet.

Met my mentor today who had practiced for a decade. I asked during lunch whether he enjoyed his job at his biglaw. He was drinking water and choked while chuckling. He said lawyers at big firms have a short shelf life where if you are not on partner track then 6-8 years is max and you get pushed out. And no other biglaw firms will take you even if you ask for a 3-4 year salary.

Seriously can someone who is genuinely happy check in here and help convince us newbies we are not going to be miserable? This legal field seems to be unique in that everyone hates being a lawyer and biglaw lawyers hate it even more.

El Pollito

Diamond

Re: Any biglaw lawyers here genuinely enjoy their job?

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 am

Hi.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:17 am

Stop making so many anon threads and use the search function.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:02 am

"Enjoy" is probably not the right way to look at it. It's a demanding, stressful, and time-consuming job for which I'm more than fairly compensated, and that's enough for now. There will be a tipping point where it isn't enough anymore.

At its best I spend a lot of time and energy on things I find interesting and engaging, or where I'm truly invested in the outcome. In between those times, there are weeks and sometimes months where I spend a lot of time and energy on minutiae I couldn't care less about, and which has to be done to the same standard.

A lot of this can describe most jobs, probably. Biglaw is just more of it for more money.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:09 am

for newbies, i would recommend applying elsewhere and broadly... but if you're in law school, it's probably too late

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:"Enjoy" is probably not the right way to look at it. It's a demanding, stressful, and time-consuming job for which I'm more than fairly compensated, and that's enough for now. There will be a tipping point where it isn't enough anymore.

At its best I spend a lot of time and energy on things I find interesting and engaging, or where I'm truly invested in the outcome. In between those times, there are weeks and sometimes months where I spend a lot of time and energy on minutiae I couldn't care less about, and which has to be done to the same standard.

A lot of this can describe most jobs, probably. Biglaw is just more of it for more money.

0L, so feel free to ignore me. But as I've alluded to on here before, an older friend of mine works in BL. When I asked him this question a while back, this is more or less the exact same sentiment towards BL he had.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:38 am

Checking in. Enjoying biglaw so far. Work is interesting, colleagues are smart, pay is good. Pretty entertaining environment too, with all the crazy people and lulzy emails.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:54 am

there are plenty of biglaw lawyers that enjoy their job. everyone at dla piper for example.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am

El Pollito wrote:Hi.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 am

I think it's possible for certain people to enjoy litigation. Even if biglaw litigation isn't interesting in the immediate, it can lead to jobs that are. However, I have no idea how anyone can find any aspect of corporate interesting.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:However, I have no idea how anyone can find any aspect of corporate interesting.
I have no idea how someone could like a thing that I do not like myself

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:03 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:"Enjoy" is probably not the right way to look at it. It's a demanding, stressful, and time-consuming job for which I'm more than fairly compensated, and that's enough for now. There will be a tipping point where it isn't enough anymore.

That's my view too. Most people don't enjoy their jobs. That's why they have to get paid to do them. I draw a more than fair salary for the work I do, I am generally okay with the type of work I'm doing, and that's more or less all I'm looking for.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's possible for certain people to enjoy litigation. Even if biglaw litigation isn't interesting in the immediate, it can lead to jobs that are. However, I have no idea how anyone can find any aspect of corporate interesting.
What jobs are those? This seems dumb.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 am

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it's possible for certain people to enjoy litigation. Even if biglaw litigation isn't interesting in the immediate, it can lead to jobs that are. However, I have no idea how anyone can find any aspect of corporate interesting.
AUSA, fedgov, etc. Very high job satisfaction from what I've seen.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
smaug wrote:
Just do AUSA. lmao.

What percentage of biglaw litigators do you think end up in those positions?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:27 am

smaug wrote:
because litigation leads to FUNemployment

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:29 am

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, I have no idea how anyone can find any aspect of corporate interesting.
Sure, just that the number of people capable of enjoying corporate biglaw for the substance of the work is near zero. Especially if they've done any other white collar job. I've been at it for awhile at 2 firms. I don't know of any other white collar job so full of people that wish they could leave their profession entirely.

The OP was clearly asking for opinions, and I don't know anyone that enjoys the actual substance of the work. It's literally just paperwork and dealing with what are usually pointless regulations. The only people I've met that "like" it are into the money or have self-deluded themselves into thinking it's prestigious. If you like it, great. I'm just saying if OP's a 0L thinking about law school and biglaw, then my advice is to consider why even after all that money it's consistently rated as the most miserable white collar profession.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:30 am

I've spoken to 5 senior partners at my firm who straight up told me they don't want their kids to be lawyers...so I'm guessing they don't even enjoy their jobs and they're just in it because they get paid millions. Associates are only paid like 1/10th to 1/20th of what a partner is paid though - so the money doesn't seem that good for what they make you give.

Biglaw would be perfectly fine IMO if it were 9 to 5, not on call. But the constant 24/7 and constant working on the weekends/nights thing just ruins it for me - there's no amount of money that would be enough for me to stay in biglaw for a long time if I had no down time since we're constantly on call 24/7.

I think biglaw is like living intern year of residency over and over and over again - except there's no end in biglaw and there's no real light at the end of the tunnel. You also need to be at least a 5th year or maybe even 6th year to land a decent in house job these days...5-6 years is a LONG time, and not all in house jobs are great either.

So yeah, I don't think I've met a larger proportion of the population who literally wants to quit their profession
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Sure, just that the number of people capable of enjoying corporate biglaw for the substance of the work is near zero. Especially if they've done any other white collar job. I've been at it for awhile at 2 firms. I don't know of any other white collar job so full of people that wish they could leave their profession entirely.

The OP was clearly asking for opinions, and I don't know anyone that enjoys the actual substance of the work. It's literally just paperwork and dealing with what are usually pointless regulations. The only people I've met that "like" it are into the money or have self-deluded themselves into thinking it's prestigious. If you like it, great. I'm just saying if OP's a 0L thinking about law school and biglaw, then my advice is to consider why even after all that money it's consistently rated as the most miserable white collar profession.
well I know several, including myself, who are certainly not in it for the money or give a shit for the prestige

sorry everyone you know just works in shitty transactional practices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:37 am

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
smaug wrote:
Just do AUSA. lmao.

What percentage of biglaw litigators do you think end up in those positions?
Based on departure memos at the 2 firms I've worked for, not many but more than this forum seems to think. Transactional is almost all inhouse jobs with the same miserable work on better hours. Happiest biglawyers I know paid off their debt and left the profession.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:

People like to complain, but at the end of the day no one I work with wants to leave yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yay

New

Post by yay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:

People like to complain, but at the end of the day no one I work with wants to leave yet.
Because they cant or dont want to?

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Are you notable for your distaste for corporate law?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 pm

yay wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Because they cant or dont want to?
I'm not in lit, so the latter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 pm

I think a lot of people are just in it to pay off their loans and save up some money before moving in house or out of law...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”