How much of Summer Associate is planned?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ughbugchugplug

New

How much of Summer Associate is planned?

Postby ughbugchugplug » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Hey all. Current summer at a firm in a major market. I'm assuming I'll be criticized for this post so I'll just clarify by saying that I'm not worried I'll be no offered. I'm just curious about the inside perspective. That said, how much of the summer is planned? I have a few specific questions:

1) Are associates told to say certain things to summers? Are you asked to downplay certain aspects of the job? Are you asked to be encouraging no matter what?

2) Does assigning have intended spots for certain summers? I came in almost certain I'd do a group, but started to change my mind. I mentioned that I was less sure where I wanted to be during my summer review and the next day I got three assignments in my initial group. Is that on purpose?

3) Are groups that take fewer summers told not to give follow up assignments sometimes? I did a project for a five person group in a firm that has several hundred attorneys and haven't gotten anything since. I think they don't take summers, so were they told not to give me anything else? I'm pretty sure they're fairly busy.

4) Are some summers noticeably worse than others? Does that correspond to whether you continue working with them? My firm has central assigning but for some groups I've been put on several more projects after I finished my first, and for others I've been one-and-done. I don't think my work for one was appreciably worse or better than the other.

5) Is there an orientation "this aint summer anymore" thing for incoming associates?

Anyway, no neuroses here - I just want to understand the inner workings of the firm so I can start to understand what's going on. Also, anyone else feel like they have no idea what they're doing/aren't sure if they've done anything right? My review was good but I really feel completely at sea with most of this. Does that go away eventually?

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Re: How much of Summer Associate is planned?

Postby Foghornleghorn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:Anyway, no neuroses here -

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Oh hell, why not.

ughbugchugplug wrote:Hey all. Current summer at a firm in a major market. I'm assuming I'll be criticized for this post so I'll just clarify by saying that I'm not worried I'll be no offered. I'm just curious about the inside perspective. That said, how much of the summer is planned? I have a few specific questions:

1) Are associates told to say certain things to summers? No. Are you asked to downplay certain aspects of the job? No, but I lie to myself, so it probably spills over to lying to you. Are you asked to be encouraging no matter what? No; I'm just actually a nice person who wants to see you succeed, as are most people at the firm.

2) Does assigning have intended spots for certain summers? I came in almost certain I'd do a group, but started to change my mind. I mentioned that I was less sure where I wanted to be during my summer review and the next day I got three assignments in my initial group. Is that on purpose? No idea, but I highly doubt anyone cares that much about it.

3) Are groups that take fewer summers told not to give follow up assignments sometimes? I did a project for a five person group in a firm that has several hundred attorneys and haven't gotten anything since. I think they don't take summers, so were they told not to give me anything else? I'm pretty sure they're fairly busy. If they're busy, they don't have time to waste babysitting you. You are less of a help than you think. That is less of a problem than you think.

4) Are some summers noticeably worse than others? Yes.Does that correspond to whether you continue working with them? Sadly, not even a little.My firm has central assigning but for some groups I've been put on several more projects after I finished my first, and for others I've been one-and-done. I don't think my work for one was appreciably worse or better than the other.

5) Is there an orientation "this aint summer anymore" thing for incoming associates? Depends on the firm. My firm gets first years who start on time together for a fairly long, formal orientation. Is that what you mean? There's no "WE OWN YOU NOW" conversation, if you're terrified of that. There is a LOT of tech training that millennials do not need. Oh boy, you mean I can send CALENDAR INVITES IN OUTLOOK NOW?

Anyway, no neuroses here You sure? Point 2 reads like neuroses. No shame in that; just own it.- I just want to understand the inner workings of the firm so I can start to understand what's going on. Also, anyone else feel like they have no idea what they're doing/aren't sure if they've done anything right? My review was good but I really feel completely at sea with most of this. Does that go away eventually? I'll let you know. It sure hasn't for most mid-levels I know.

BizBro

Silver

Postby BizBro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Haha this thread is golden. Lets see more answers.

ughbugchugplug

New

Postby ughbugchugplug » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Obligatory offended reply, followed by defense and assurances that I'm not actually freaking out.

Internetdan

New

Postby Internetdan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 am

It's all planned. It's all a lie. Have you ever read the short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 am

1) Are associates told to say certain things to summers? Are you asked to downplay certain aspects of the job? Are you asked to be encouraging no matter what?

NO AND NO. SUMMERS CAN TELL IF YOURE LYING, ANYWAYS. THAT BEING SAID I THINK THEY TRY TO AVOID ASSIGNING ASSOCIATES WITH ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR AS SUMMER MENTORS.

2) Does assigning have intended spots for certain summers? I came in almost certain I'd do a group, but started to change my mind. I mentioned that I was less sure where I wanted to be during my summer review and the next day I got three assignments in my initial group. Is that on purpose?

YES AND YES. ASSIGNMENTS GENERALLY ARE CAREFULLY RATIONED BASED ON GROUP, PERCEIVED INTEREST OF SUMMER AND DESIRABILITY OF ASSIGNMENT.

3) Are groups that take fewer summers told not to give follow up assignments sometimes? I did a project for a five person group in a firm that has several hundred attorneys and haven't gotten anything since. I think they don't take summers, so were they told not to give me anything else? I'm pretty sure they're fairly busy.

SORT OF. SUMMERS ARE A BIG DRAIN OF TIME AND RESOURCES SO UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO RECRUIT THEN WHY WOULD YOU WASTE YOUR TIME DEALING WITH THEM, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOURE BUSY.

4) Are some summers noticeably worse than others? Does that correspond to whether you continue working with them? My firm has central assigning but for some groups I've been put on several more projects after I finished my first, and for others I've been one-and-done. I don't think my work for one was appreciably worse or better than the other.

YES AND YES. WE TRY TO KEEP WORKING WITH SUMMERS WE WANT TO RECRUIT TO WORK WITH US AS REGULAR ASSOCIATES. THAT BEING SAID ITS LIKE 20% OF SUMMERS ARE OBVIOUSLY GREAT, 20% ARE GROSSLY INCOMPETENT OR UNPROFESSIONAL, AND THE MAJORITY JUST FALL INTO A MUDDLED MIDDLE OF MILD FUMBLING INCOMPETENCE BORN OF FEAR AND ANXIETY. IT IS MUCH LIKE LAW SCHOOL GRADING IN THAT WAY. BEING IN THE "MUDDLED MIDDLE" ISNT HELD AGAINST YOU WHEN YOU COME BACK.

5) Is there an orientation "this aint summer anymore" thing for incoming associates?

YES, BUT MORE LIKE "THESE ARE ALL THE SKILLS YOU DIDNT NEED AS A SUMMER BUT NOW YOU WILL NEED, LIKE ADVANCED MICROSOFT OFFICE OR MANAGING PARALEGALS"

Return to “Legal Employment�