Stopped Getting Assignments - Did I do something wrong? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stopped Getting Assignments - Did I do something wrong?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:46 pm

I am an incoming associate at a v20 biglaw firm in a Non-NYC major market that allowed 3Ls to do work over the school year. I lateraled to this firm after my 2L summer so I know very little people at the office. Furthermore, there's only about 20 people in my department.

I received about 4 assignments on three deals from 2 different associates at the beginning of the school year (October/November), but the assignments stopped coming in December. It seems likely that I screwed something up and that, rather than teach me, they opted just to not assign. I totally understand the sentiment.

I had no experience with the type of assignment and, while I did get instructions/ask questions, there's a good chance I made errors. Following the assignments, I asked for feedback, but I received only Summer Associate level feedback (i.e. everything is good).

When I start at the firm in September...(1) is this something I should worry about AND (2) how would I go about fixing any damage I've done?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Stopped Getting Assignments - Did I do something wrong?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am an incoming associate at a v20 biglaw firm in a Non-NYC major market that allowed 3Ls to do work over the school year. I lateraled to this firm after my 2L summer so I know very little people at the office. Furthermore, there's only about 20 people in my department.

I received about 3 assignments from 2 different associates at the beginning of the year, but the assignments stopped coming in December. It seems likely that I screwed something up and that, rather than teach me, they opted just to not assign.
The most likely explanation is that they don't have any work for you. Don't worry about this at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am an incoming associate at a v20 biglaw firm in a Non-NYC major market that allowed 3Ls to do work over the school year. I lateraled to this firm after my 2L summer so I know very little people at the office. Furthermore, there's only about 20 people in my department.

I received about 4 assignments on three deals from 2 different associates at the beginning of the year, but the assignments stopped coming in December. It seems likely that I screwed something up and that, rather than teach me, they opted just to not assign.
The most likely explanation is that they don't have any work for you. Don't worry about this at all.
OP here. I was worried because these assignments were coming in as fast as I could finish them, sometimes 2 projects at a time...and then they stopped.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I received about 4 assignments on three deals from 2 different associates at the beginning of the year, but the assignments stopped coming in December. It seems likely that I screwed something up and that, rather than teach me, they opted just to not assign.
OP here. I was worried because these assignments were coming in as fast as I could finish them, sometimes 2 projects at a time...and then they stopped.
correct. that is par for the course in biglaw - peaks and troughs; feast and famine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

correct. that is par for the course in biglaw - peaks and troughs; feast and famine.
So December through June is generally a slow time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
So December through June is generally a slow time?
no. there is no "general" slow time. sometimes clients have smaller budgets and there's less work.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote: When I start at the firm in September...(1) is this something I should worry about AND (2) how would I go about fixing any damage I've done?
I like how you answer your first question with your second question.

I don't think this is a big deal. Associates get busy and if you are hardly ever in the office they honestly probably forgot about you/easier for them to do it themselves/ no work to dole out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OP here. I was worried because these assignments were coming in as fast as I could finish them, sometimes 2 projects at a time...and then they stopped.
You need to chill. Also, I'd be a bit concerned about this:
Following the assignments, I asked for feedback, but I received only Summer Associate level feedback (i.e. everything is good).

Don't ask for feedback after every assignment. If I ask you to draft some stupid memo, you complete the memo, and then a couple of days later I get a "please provide feedback on my memo" email from you, I'm probably going to be less likely to ask you to do something in the future. There's an art to asking for feedback. You need to pick your spots. If you treat every assignment like a LRW paper that needs to be graded, you'll come off as annoying.

So, to repeat: Chill.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:25 pm

I received about 4 assignments on three deals from 2 different associates at the beginning of the school year (October/November), but the assignments stopped coming in December. It seems likely that I screwed something up and that, rather than teach me, they opted just to not assign. I totally understand the sentiment.

I had no experience with the type of assignment and, while I did get instructions/ask questions, there's a good chance I made errors. Following the assignments, I asked for feedback, but I received only Summer Associate level feedback (i.e. everything is good).

When I start at the firm in September...(1) is this something I should worry about AND (2) how would I go about fixing any damage I've done?
So you're saying you're not getting more work as a summer/intern? That doesn't sound unusual at all.

You sound a little anxious, and if you keep being so anxious about your work (when you're not even working there as an associate yet) you're probably going to rub someone the wrong way. If people say you're good, then believe them and do some breathing exercises privately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:10 pm

OP Here: I'm not a summer. I just graduated. Our firm allowed us to work remotely during the year as 3Ls.

I am usually not very anxious, it's just that I am a new lateral associate with no prior experience with the firm and these were my first assignments ever with them.

Furthermore, I was worried because a couple of update e-mails from HR throughout the year made it seem like the other 3Ls were on projects continuously.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here: I'm not a summer. I just graduated. Our firm allowed us to work remotely during the year as 3Ls.

I am usually not very anxious, it's just that I am a new lateral associate with no prior experience with the firm and these were my first assignments ever with them.
How can you be a lateral associate if you just graduated law school?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:49 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP Here: I'm not a summer. I just graduated. Our firm allowed us to work remotely during the year as 3Ls.

Did 2L summer with one firm then accepted at a different firm for post grad.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:53 pm

JenDarby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Where I come from, that's not called "lateraling." OP was never an associate at Firm A in the first place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Where I come from, that's not called "lateraling." OP was never an associate at Firm A in the first place.
Nor was he an associate at Firm B.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 pm

lurklaw wrote: Nor was he an associate at Firm B.
Yeah, but he will be.

I've just never heard of someone speak of "lateraling" when it comes to summer associate positions. If I spent my 1L summer as a SA at Kirkland and then my 2L summer as a SA at Skadden, I wouldn't say that I "lateraled" to Skadden. And if I later decided that I wouldn't work at either firm--if I instead accepted an offer to start as an associate at SullCrom--I wouldn't say that I "lateraled" to SullCrom.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:08 pm

rpupkin wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I don't think it's generally called lateraling, but it was still obvious what he meant.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lurklaw wrote: Nor was he an associate at Firm B.
Yeah, but he will be.

I've just never heard of someone speak of "lateraling" when it comes to summer associate positions. If I spent my 1L summer as a SA at Kirkland and then my 2L summer as a SA at Skadden, I wouldn't say that I "lateraled" to Skadden. And if I later decided that I wouldn't work at either firm--if I instead accepted an offer to start as an associate at SullCrom--I wouldn't say that I "lateraled" to SullCrom.
I was agreeing with you.

With that said, OP's death of meaning has its perks--e.g., I haven't left my current firm yet, but I choose to refer to myself as a WLRK lateral (even though I haven't interviewed yet).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 pm

JenDarby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I don't think it's generally called lateraling, but it was still obvious what he meant.
If we can't quibble about the meaning of biglaw lingo in the legal employment forum, then what can we do here?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 pm

lurklaw wrote:
JenDarby wrote: I don't think it's generally called lateraling, but it was still obvious what he meant.
If we can't quibble about the meaning of biglaw lingo in the legal employment forum, then what can we do here?
Indeed. I mean, after two or there posts, the OP got all the advice that could be given in this situation (i.e., calm down). If we're not afforded the luxury of quibbling over biglaw lingo, it's a de facto thread lock.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm

JenDarby wrote:I don't think it's generally called lateraling, but it was still obvious what he meant.
I think the fact that multiple people didn't get what his employment status is means that it was not obvious.

I honestly am still not sure I get the problem. OP says he got work in the semester (last year, presumably), and then didn't at the end of the semester, and is now wondering if he's screwed going into the firm this September. This all seems to imply he's still talking about not having gotten a lot of work in his internship, and hasn't started his actual job yet. OP, why are you panicking about not having gotten a lot of work during the month of your finals when you were still in school? Your offer didn't get rescinded, did it? You didn't get bad reviews, did you? Then be grateful you got a break and still have a job. :P

mrs.miawallace

New

Post by mrs.miawallace » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:02 am

I get the mentality that being the non-locally grown associate in a firm where your peers have prior experience with the firm. That sense of insecurity really makes one paranoid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:20 am

my heart just bleeds for the poor soul who pulled KE Chicago his/her 3L year, pulling down $30/hr to do nothing and then getting 180k.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:26 am

pancakes3 wrote:my heart just bleeds for the poor soul who pulled KE Chicago his/her 3L year, pulling down $30/hr to do nothing and then getting 180k.
haha +1. OP, as others said just chill. Second, it is probably cause they wanted to get actual associates to do the work and they want you to focus on the bar exam.

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:47 pm

mrs.miawallace wrote:I get the mentality that being the non-locally grown associate in a firm where your peers have prior experience with the firm. That sense of insecurity really makes one paranoid.
prior experience being one summer, which pretty much no one will remember you from when you actually start (assuming anyone you worked with is still even at the firm)

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Sounds like you're in a transactional practice. Transactional people are usually slammed in November/December getting stuff done before the new calendar year. My guess is that the associates/partners just didn't have time to give you stuff and didn't want to deal with fixing it.

I've never given stuff to summers when I'm really busy. Inevitably, the work requires an unknown amount of polishing and instruction, and it's more efficient to just get it done myself. Also, firms (mine included) strongly discourage associates from giving summers work with an ASAP or very quick deadline, which is basically everything a transactional associate is doing from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

December is usually insane, then the next couple months are slower and deal-dependent. I wouldn't worry about it. By now, the firm probably asked people to hold off on assignments so you could study for the barzam and get charged up for billing dem hours.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”