3L MM Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L MM Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:34 pm

I wanted to follow up with a few firms that I had CB interviews with last fall (didn't receive offers). I did eventually landed a SA but in a less desirable city. Should I email the main recruiting contact or an attorney who I had the CB with? Can I email both or is that too much? I realize 3L hiring is a crapshoot and they didn't extend an offer last fall so my chances are slim but I'm hoping to land in a different city.

Vexed

Bronze

Re: 3L MM Questions

Postby Vexed » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

+1, in a similar boat.

Also wondering, in the off chance that I do net a callback in my desired market, what the best response to the "why are you switching markets?" question might be. The truthful answer is I just straight up whiffed on netting an offer anywhere in the area and would have accepted one in a heartbeat over where I am now, but that answer seems far less than ideal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Hey guys, this was me a couple years ago. I ended up getting an offer at my dream firm after not even getting a CB from OCI. I went from NYC to one of the very top firms in my preferred secondary market. I leveled with everyone I interviewed with and said that I just didn't get an offer at a firm I liked in my preferred market. I told them that looking at my offers I thought my NYC v20 was the best opportunity to learn and grow professionally. I told them that had I received an offer wherever I was interviewing I would have no doubt taken it over my NYC firm. Sometimes this may have been a bit awkward but it worked for me. I've since had lawyers at my firm think this story was hilarious and crazy and often be confused by the fact that anyone gets a job outside of OCI but I assume that's only because they're T14 biglawyers. No one else thinks that way I don't believe.

ETA: when mass mailing I always emailed the hiring partners (as listed on NALP) and cc'd the recruiting dept. Always, no matter the case. Someone at my school who successfully mass mailed after striking out taught me that. We both had very high email -> screener ratios so I feel comfortable recommending it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, this was me a couple years ago. I ended up getting an offer at my dream firm after not even getting a CB from OCI. I went from NYC to one of the very top firms in my preferred secondary market. I leveled with everyone I interviewed with and said that I just didn't get an offer at a firm I liked in my preferred market. I told them that looking at my offers I thought my NYC v20 was the best opportunity to learn and grow professionally. I told them that had I received an offer wherever I was interviewing I would have no doubt taken it over my NYC firm. Sometimes this may have been a bit awkward but it worked for me. I've since had lawyers at my firm think this story was hilarious and crazy and often be confused by the fact that anyone gets a job outside of OCI but I assume that's only because they're T14 biglawyers. No one else thinks that way I don't believe.

ETA: when mass mailing I always emailed the hiring partners (as listed on NALP) and cc'd the recruiting dept. Always, no matter the case. Someone at my school who successfully mass mailed after striking out taught me that. We both had very high email -> screener ratios so I feel comfortable recommending it.

Thanks anon.

In terms of timing, when did you send out MM emails? And I'm assuming you did cover letter as body of the email - did you elaborate on wanting to get to your preferred market or just kind of stick to a brief general statement of interest?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, this was me a couple years ago. I ended up getting an offer at my dream firm after not even getting a CB from OCI. I went from NYC to one of the very top firms in my preferred secondary market. I leveled with everyone I interviewed with and said that I just didn't get an offer at a firm I liked in my preferred market. I told them that looking at my offers I thought my NYC v20 was the best opportunity to learn and grow professionally. I told them that had I received an offer wherever I was interviewing I would have no doubt taken it over my NYC firm. Sometimes this may have been a bit awkward but it worked for me. I've since had lawyers at my firm think this story was hilarious and crazy and often be confused by the fact that anyone gets a job outside of OCI but I assume that's only because they're T14 biglawyers. No one else thinks that way I don't believe.

Thanks anon.

In terms of timing, when did you send out MM emails? And I'm assuming you did cover letter as body of the email - did you elaborate on wanting to get to your preferred market or just kind of stick to a brief general statement of interest?

I actually would generally attach my cover letter as a pdf (so it could easily be forwarded around) but had a largely duplicative cover letter in email. It was generally pretty brief in the email like: "Mr./Ms. Hiring Partner, I am a third year law student at University of X Law School and am writing to apply for a position as a full-time associate in your X department. I spent this summer at X & X LLP, working in their X department but had initially applied for a summer associate position with your firm in the summer of X and remain interested in your firm. Attached please find a cover letter, resume, and law school transcripts. Thank you for your consideration, Me" or something like that. It wasn't exactly that. I might with barely any more detail describe your interest in the market and firm in the cover letter. Being brief never hurt me but I had pretty okay grades and a decent SA. I also followed up. I literally got invited for a screener at my current firm on the 3rd email. My follow ups would generally be a little less formal and acknowledge that I was following up on a previous email.

I sent these out a week or two prior to OCI, in case they would have people on campus and wanted to interview me (a couple did). As this implies I also made myself available for OCI. I also flew back to my market of choice for a bit of vacay and made myself available that way. The firm that I currently work at didn't bite at any of those opportunities though and instead did a phone screener and flew me out after that just before my offer with my SA firm expired.

ETA: I looked back on my cover letter and I did include more detail about the market and my desire to be there. Basically saying I wanted to be close to friends and family and that they were a very good firm in my preferred practice area in my preferred market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how robust 3L hiring will be this year? I'm at one of the top firms in a secondary, but really want NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:56 am

When is a good time to start this? And how does that bode considering if you do it before 3l oci you're likely still summering without an offer?

Return to “Legal Employment�