Where else to look for firms to mass mail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where else to look for firms to mass mail

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:33 am

Mailed every CA firm listed on the NALP directory, anywhere else I should look?

Anonymous User

Re: Where else to look for firms to mass mail

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mailed every CA firm listed on the NALP directory, anywhere else I should look?
Just curious, did you get any bites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:49 am

Just mailed yesturday. Only responses were a few firms directing me to apply through their website, or telling me their CA office were not taking 2017 SA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just mailed yesturday. Only responses were a few firms directing me to apply through their website, or telling me their CA office were not taking 2017 SA
I got the same responses last year. Is mass mailing even effective? Idk.

What did you include in your email? Transcript and cover letter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 am

Cover letter was the body of my email, attached my resume, transcript, and a writing sample. Strong ties to CA (went to UC Berkeley for undergrad) Top 10% at a T25. I'm hoping I get some bites.

Also got a lot of auto response emails saying so and so was out of the office until after July 4th. I probably emailed a week too early, but ohh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter was the body of my email, attached my resume, transcript, and a writing sample. Strong ties to CA (went to UC Berkeley for undergrad) Top 10% at a T25. I'm hoping I get some bites.

Also got a lot of auto response emails saying so and so was out of the office until after July 4th. I probably emailed a week too early, but ohh well.
Yeah, there's been a lot of talk on here about mass mailing now. I have only been told that they are coming to my campus for OCI and I should just bid on them or that my school told them not to interview before OCI.

OMLS48

New

Post by OMLS48 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mailed every CA firm listed on the NALP directory, anywhere else I should look?

You're going to have to sift through a heap of solos and unreliable information, but if you have the time, Martindale does add some value to an mass mailing list

Jdempewo

New

Post by Jdempewo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Lexis has a firm directory.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Here's some sources I found useful (not CA specific):

https://www.ilrg.com/nlj250

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0529202855
(for this, I would look at past lists as well - if a firm made multiple appearances, chances are they're pretty solid)

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... s-Hot-List
(same advice as above)

http://www.gobiglaw.com/
(good amalgamation of biglaw job postings, but probably too early to look at)

http://www.martindale.com/
(a bit clunky but still useful)

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Is it too early to target litigation boutiques?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:48 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:Is it too early to target litigation boutiques?
Depends, but likely. Good rule of thumb is the bigger the firm the more likely they will have some system in place for summers. The smaller firms typically won't be looking until much later in the season (think: February-March). Something else to note is that this can also manifest itself in the way offers go out—smaller firms will typically hold on an offer till the last moment, especially if they work heavily on contingency.

Obviously though none of this would apply to a QE, WC, or Susman.

cleanslate6

New

Post by cleanslate6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:43 pm

OP, have you gotten any more bites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 am

All I've gotten so far is more firms asking to sign up online, one firms said no, one firm said they only recruit through OCI and resume drops, and aother firm said they will contact me towards the end of july (don't know if that is good or not). I got one interview though, but because my boss reached out to a partner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yay

New

Post by yay » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All I've gotten so far is more firms asking to sign up online, one firms said no, one firm said they only recruit through OCI and resume drops, and aother firm said they will contact me towards the end of july (don't know if that is good or not). I got one interview though, but because my boss reached out to a partner.
how many firms in total did you apply to and did you send the same cover and email message for all of them? I am trying to figure out a streamlined process to mass mail all at once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 pm

yay wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I've gotten so far is more firms asking to sign up online, one firms said no, one firm said they only recruit through OCI and resume drops, and aother firm said they will contact me towards the end of july (don't know if that is good or not). I got one interview though, but because my boss reached out to a partner.
how many firms in total did you apply to and did you send the same cover and email message for all of them? I am trying to figure out a streamlined process to mass mail all at once.
Applied to every office listed on NALP for CA (filtered for corporate) so I'm gonna say 125 emails, and I don't exactly remember how many unique firms. I actually got another bite asking for an interview earlier this afternoon.

As for my cover letter I used this cover letter for every firm.

«Contact_Full»
«Contact_Title»
«Law_Firm»
«Address»
«City», «State» «Zip»

Dear «Contact_Last»:

I am a second-year law student at _______________________ and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position at «Law_Firm_Short_Name» for 2015. Enclosed are my résumé, transcript, and a writing sample.

I am especially interested in ______________________ law as well as __________________________ because of my experience with ________________. It is this interest that has led me to inquire about opportunities at «Law_Firm_Short_Name».

[Paragraph about me].

I am very interested in a summer associate position with «Law_Firm_Short_Name» and would welcome an opportunity to interview with you. I will be in Northern California from July 27th to August 5th. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”