Questions to ask in informational interviews with partners Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions to ask in informational interviews with partners

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 am

I've scheduled a few informational interviews with partners, but haven't come up with any thoughtful questions to ask during those interviews. It's easier to have a conversation with junior/mid-level associates where I can ask about the responsibilities of juniors, their typical day, culture of the firm, hours, tips about OCI, etc. I feel a bit weird to direct these questions to a partner who graduated 20 years ago (plus that I couldn't care less about a typical day of a partner). Any suggestions? Any other tips on how to build a connection are welcome as well. Thanks in advance for help!

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Re: Questions to ask in informational interviews with partners

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've scheduled a few informational interviews with partners, but haven't come up with any thoughtful questions to ask during those interviews. It's easier to have a conversation with junior/mid-level associates where I can ask about the responsibilities of juniors, their typical day, culture of the firm, hours, tips about OCI, etc. I feel a bit weird to direct these questions to a partner who graduated 20 years ago (plus that I couldn't care less about a typical day of a partner). Any suggestions? Any other tips on how to build a connection are welcome as well. Thanks in advance for help!
You can go w something tried and true, like
How did they choose / build their practice
What led them to remain at x firm
What do they think a 2L should look for in a firm

Anonymous User

Re: Questions to ask in informational interviews with partners

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:20 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've scheduled a few informational interviews with partners, but haven't come up with any thoughtful questions to ask during those interviews. It's easier to have a conversation with junior/mid-level associates where I can ask about the responsibilities of juniors, their typical day, culture of the firm, hours, tips about OCI, etc. I feel a bit weird to direct these questions to a partner who graduated 20 years ago (plus that I couldn't care less about a typical day of a partner). Any suggestions? Any other tips on how to build a connection are welcome as well. Thanks in advance for help!
You can go w something tried and true, like
How did they choose / build their practice
What led them to remain at x firm
What do they think a 2L should look for in a firm
Thanks! These seem to be all great questions to ask.

Hoping for more input!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”