2016 Pre-OCI Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Pre-OCI Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:32 pm

Jakobe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re STB, I asked the recruiter prior to the callback interview what to expect regarding timeline, and she said it would likely be a week before they let me know when I'll have an answer. I suspect them waiting is consistent with them wanting to get the best kids and not give away too many offers prior to OCI, particularly kids interviewing this past week since its so close to job fairs, etc.

Oppositely, Weil told me I would hear in a day or two, and I got an offer call that night. I just think certain recruiters/firms are more deliberative than others. I wouldn't worry just yet on STB even if some people got offers two weeks ago.

So you think them telling me I would get an answer after they come on campus is not a ding? even though the other person who I know interviewed after me already got an offer?

PM'd

I had the same thing happen, any chance you could PM on this too?

Same happened to me. Can you PM too?

Student of Law

New

Postby Student of Law » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jakobe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re STB, I asked the recruiter prior to the callback interview what to expect regarding timeline, and she said it would likely be a week before they let me know when I'll have an answer. I suspect them waiting is consistent with them wanting to get the best kids and not give away too many offers prior to OCI, particularly kids interviewing this past week since its so close to job fairs, etc.

Oppositely, Weil told me I would hear in a day or two, and I got an offer call that night. I just think certain recruiters/firms are more deliberative than others. I wouldn't worry just yet on STB even if some people got offers two weeks ago.

So you think them telling me I would get an answer after they come on campus is not a ding? even though the other person who I know interviewed after me already got an offer?

PM'd

Accidental anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jakobe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:

PM'd

Same issue here. Would really appreciate if you could also PM me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:48 am

Skadden Asia has sent out interview requests. They'll be interviewing the first two weeks of August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 pm

bored. anything new happening for anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:29 pm

No I think this is hand jay week before OCI. Just to clarify, this is the week you tell firms you're excited to give them hand jobs in two weeks or whenever your OCI is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I asked for an informational interview with a partner at one office, and was contacted by an associate at a different office (same firm, same state). We both asked each other questions. She specifically wanted to know why I liked X firm, what I'm interested in, and told me to rank the offices by interest...

Is this a screener or an informational interview?

EDIT: She then told me she'll give this info to recruiting and hopefully meet me in person before I go back to my school for OCI. Does this mean anything? Should I send a thank you letter?

SECOND EDIT: This was over the phone.

Same anon: Any thoughts on this guys? Should I send this associate a thank you note? I'm overanalyzing like crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I asked for an informational interview with a partner at one office, and was contacted by an associate at a different office (same firm, same state). We both asked each other questions. She specifically wanted to know why I liked X firm, what I'm interested in, and told me to rank the offices by interest...

Is this a screener or an informational interview?

EDIT: She then told me she'll give this info to recruiting and hopefully meet me in person before I go back to my school for OCI. Does this mean anything? Should I send a thank you letter?

SECOND EDIT: This was over the phone.

Same anon: Any thoughts on this guys? Should I send this associate a thank you note? I'm overanalyzing like crazy.

tbh I don't think this constitutes a screener interview, but it never hurts to send a thank you note regardless. Just make sure to spellcheck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Callback interviews last Wednesday and offer today. Fried Frank DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Did a screener at a v20 secondary non-hq office last week and still no word on a callback, sign of a ding or does it depend on firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Anyone who had a Cravath CB last week hear anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Screener last week... Callback interview later this week. NYC V20

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a screener at a v20 secondary non-hq office last week and still no word on a callback, sign of a ding or does it depend on firm?

From my experience, the time frame between screener and callback is a couple of days, at most (Actually, it's usually the same day). But don't lose hope until you get that ding, because who knows? Maybe the firm you interviewed at does it differently. I don't think it's unheard of to just reach out to your recruiter either

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:47 pm

For all you guys who are doing several callbacks -- how do you tell your 1L employer that you are taking off for the day and doing a callback, especially if you are being paid $500+/day to work? I feel a little uneasy scheduling callbacks during the workday while my current 1L SA job is still going on. Any advice on how to approach this with your current employer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:26 pm

On average, what is the percentage of individuals who get callbacks that get actual offers after the callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On average, what is the percentage of individuals who get callbacks that get actual offers after the callback?

This is also a firm-dependent question. I've been told that the percentage is surprisingly high, which makes sense because the firm is paying travel/stay and also devoting close to 2 billable hours to interview you.

In any event, the odds are much better from callback-->offer than screener-->callback. But I'm guessing you already knew that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On average, what is the percentage of individuals who get callbacks that get actual offers after the callback?

This is also a firm-dependent question. I've been told that the percentage is surprisingly high, which makes sense because the firm is paying travel/stay and also devoting close to 2 billable hours to interview you.

In any event, the odds are much better from callback-->offer than screener-->callback. But I'm guessing you already knew that

Data from Columbia:

2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =399774523

2012: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AHcF ... Z3dWc/edit

2011: http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downlo ... _id=611272

Note - - results are likely pretty different from school to school. Also is probably not reflective of percentages for pre-OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Skadden Wilmington? I went earlier this week and haven't heard anything/don't know what to expect.

Expect to hear things early next week. This week they are assuredly slammed with getting summers out the door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:00 pm

is everyone who is getting callbacks in this thread like T14 allstars or something?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Not a T14 all-star... Hard work and networking!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is everyone who is getting callbacks in this thread like T14 allstars or something?

Neither. Probably just lucky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Are the chances of an offer from a callback higher pre OCI or post OCI?

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are the chances of an offer from a callback higher pre OCI or post OCI?

Probably close to the same - if a pure mass mail maybe slightly lower if firms are cognizant of "saving spots" for OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Team massmail no invites. Hit about 350 so far, but no bites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 pm

class sizes are expanding and the offers are starting earlier to get top talent. Just above median at T13 and cracked 2 V15 firms with offers

Return to “Legal Employment?