Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
akihoyz

New

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby akihoyz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

When would lottery interviews be allocated? I have only one alternative and I was wondering whether I should go or not.
I am selected for a few in SFIPLA and I am thinking about whether to skip this job fair and just go to Loyola

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:01 pm

School: Top 6
Ties to Bay Area?: Yes
IP?: Interested in IP but no science background.
URM/Affiliation?: Yes.

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 11
# of Alternates: 0

Still unsure about the pre-select/interview process. I accepted all 11- does this mean I will be doing 11 interviews? Wish they had more information about the bidding process on the site! Anyone get through to them via email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: Top 6
Ties to Bay Area?: Yes
IP?: Interested in IP but no science background.
URM/Affiliation?: Yes.

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 11
# of Alternates: 0

Still unsure about the pre-select/interview process. I accepted all 11- does this mean I will be doing 11 interviews? Wish they had more information about the bidding process on the site! Anyone get through to them via email?

I emailed them yesterday but no response yet. I was also wondering whether we can drop pre-selects beyond July 4th (in case I get the alternates that I want)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm

akihoyz wrote:When would lottery interviews be allocated? I have only one alternative and I was wondering whether I should go or not.
I am selected for a few in SFIPLA and I am thinking about whether to skip this job fair and just go to Loyola

Got an e-mail yesterday with more details but looks like July 5th.

IF YOU WERE NOT CHOSEN TO INTERVIEW BY AN EMPLOYER:

Please do not be discouraged. There were nearly 500 highly qualified students who registered to participate in the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair this year. Due to a limited number of interview spots available, we were unable to offer you an opportunity to meet with the employers you expressed an interest in. Please also note that you may receive interviews via the lottery selection, which accounts for 25% of each employer schedule. The lottery process will be activated on Tuesday, July 5.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm

so... preselects are still coming out apparently. Can we drop interviews that we already accepted?

FYI, just got Kirkland and DLA Piper this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so... preselects are still coming out apparently. Can we drop interviews that we already accepted?

Did you have "Not invited" prior to it? Or was it blank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so... preselects are still coming out apparently. Can we drop interviews that we already accepted?

Did you have "Not invited" prior to it? Or was it blank?

not invited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:15 pm

When a firm says "No multiple interviews" on Symplicity, does that mean if we were not pre-selected, we are eligible to submit our application through other means?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When a firm says "No multiple interviews" on Symplicity, does that mean if we were not pre-selected, we are eligible to submit our application through other means?

My school's career office said that we are allowed to submit another application during oci if we weren't selected. It just means you can't do two screeners for the same position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:01 pm

has anyone been able to get through to that registration email? I'm trying to switch a couple of my picks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm

I got an email back saying that the maximum number of interviews is apparently 17, which is different from prior years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:38 pm

kind of shitty of them to make the deadline to accept on july 4th, when they will not be checking their emails...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Anyone get anything from lottery yet? not sure if it's happened yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get anything from lottery yet? not sure if it's happened yet

My page still looks the same. Idk what that means

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get anything from lottery yet? not sure if it's happened yet

Nothing's changed on mine =\.

Question: If we accepted a pre-select, were we supposed to fill out an interview time? My scheduled interviews says "No records found"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:06 pm

I now have a "scheduled interviews" section. I had 11 pre-selects (I accepted all 11) but I am only scheduled for 10 interviews. The one that I didn't get scheduled for was my lowest of the 11 pre-selects on my bid list. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have schedule changes with the lottery?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Are we automatically scheduled for firms through the lottery? Do we not get an accept/decline option? I was scheduled for a firm that I was not preselected for

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Does anyone know what the protocol is if we go do our screener with a firm at the career fair (screener was through lottery, not preselect), don't get a callback -> should we still bid that same firm office at OCI if we really want that office? I've heard that it can be a lot harder to convert a screener into a callback at the career fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:16 am

This schedule looks brutal. Does anyone know what the room setup is like? I have 5 interviews that are back to back with 5 minutes in between. Are these rooms all going to be on different floors? Do interviewers make a special effort to end the interview on time at this fair?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I now have a "scheduled interviews" section. I had 11 pre-selects (I accepted all 11) but I am only scheduled for 10 interviews. The one that I didn't get scheduled for was my lowest of the 11 pre-selects on my bid list. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have schedule changes with the lottery?

Happened to me too! I had 13 pre-selects. I had accepted 12 but my lowest 2 are dropped from the schedule. They are apparently enforcing a maximum 10 interviews limit! I hate how they aren't upfront about their rules.

Also, I think because we have already accepted our maximum possible number of interviews by accepting 10 (or more) pre-selects neither of us is going to get the lottery picks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I now have a "scheduled interviews" section. I had 11 pre-selects (I accepted all 11) but I am only scheduled for 10 interviews. The one that I didn't get scheduled for was my lowest of the 11 pre-selects on my bid list. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have schedule changes with the lottery?

Happened to me too! I had 13 pre-selects. I had accepted 12 but my lowest 2 are dropped from the schedule. They are apparently enforcing a maximum 10 interviews limit! I hate how they aren't upfront about their rules.

Also, I think because we have already accepted our maximum possible number of interviews by accepting 10 (or more) pre-selects neither of us is going to get the lottery picks.

I'm sorry! That is so weird. I was the poster above who emailed them and got a response saying that the max is 17.

I just got 2 alternates so now I have 12 total. I am wondering if my 2 lowest will be automatically dropped when they update the schedule?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a word to the wise regarding the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair -- I found it to be a tough career fair for getting callbacks. In 2011 and applying for IP litigation jobs, I think I got 7 screeners and 1 callback. At the Loyola Patent Fair, I think I got like 16-17 interviews and 9-10 callbacks. This is, of course, anecdata, as they say but from talking to friends, this seemed to be a consistent pattern.

Thus, if you're wondering whether it's worthwhile to go out of your way to come to this fair, I'd say probably not worth it. That being said, if you're going to be in the area anyway (e.g., it's your hometown or you go to law school in the area), you have nothing to lose.

So from your experience, roughly a a 40~50% call back rate is what we can expect from PLIP? I have 15 screeners and wondered if you can give me any tips or advice on how to do well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sorry! That is so weird. I was the poster above who emailed them and got a response saying that the max is 17.

I just got 2 alternates so now I have 12 total. I am wondering if my 2 lowest will be automatically dropped when they update the schedule?

I just think this career fair is managed pretty poorly. But no worries I am looking at my interview schedule right now and 10 interviews look bad enough in one day.

I also got 4 alternate invites today but I have just accepted one and rejected the other three. However, so far the alternate interview does not show up in my interview schedule. I will let you know if this changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Seems like if you accepted an alternate invite, the schedules for those are out now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just think this career fair is managed pretty poorly. But no worries I am looking at my interview schedule right now and 10 interviews look bad enough in one day.

I also got 4 alternate invites today but I have just accepted one and rejected the other three. However, so far the alternate interview does not show up in my interview schedule. I will let you know if this changes.

To update my post, as expected, even though I accepted an alternate interview my schedule remains the same. I think once you accept 10 or more preselects you are done with your schedule at badf.

Return to “Legal Employment?