Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:23 am

Looks like at least some of the preselects have been released as of midnight! Not sure if they're all out or if they'll be trickling in throughout the day/week, but best of luck!

Feel free to use or alter this format for pre-selects:
School:
Rank:
Ties to Bay Area?:
IP?:
URM/Affiliation?:

# of bids:
# of Pre-Selects:
# of Alternates:

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 am

Not sure what to expect from this fair, but here goes nothing I guess!

School: Lower T14
Rank: Top 33-40%
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong Ties
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian, So Not Really

# of bids: 26
# of Pre-Selects: 5
# of Alternates: 1

Didn't get any of my top 10 (incl. WSGR/Cooley/Orrick etc.) Has anyone else heard from any of those firms yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 am

School: UCLA/USC/UCI
Rank: Top 30%-35%
Ties to Bay Area?: 1L Summer
IP?: Yes
URM/Affiliation?: No

# of bids: 26
# of Pre-Selects: 5
# of Alternates: 2 (including top choice Cooley)

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 am

School: UCLA/Vandy/UT
Rank: Top 1/3-ish
Ties to Bay Area?: None
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 3
# of Alternates: 0

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 am

School: T20
Rank: Slightly above median
Ties to Bay Area?: Some
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of Bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 1

PallasAthena

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby PallasAthena » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 am

.
Last edited by PallasAthena on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:30 am

School: T14
Rank: ~20%
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong-ish
IP?: Yes
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 26
# of Pre-Selects: 12
# of Alternates: 4

I got Cooley, Orrick SV, and alternate for WSGR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 am

School: T14
Rank: ~10%
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: LGBT

# of bids: 9
# of Pre-Selects: 7
# of Alternates: 0

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:17 am

School: T6
Rank: Top 10%ish
Ties to Bay Area - Strong
IP? No
URM: No

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 13
# of Alternates: 4

So how exactly do the alternates work? Are we just not interviewing with the declined preselects or is there some way for us to add/drop later?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:35 am

According to last year's thread the maximum number of interviews one can accept is 10. Is that true for this year too? More importantly does anybody know where does it say so? Can't find this info anywhere on their website.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:38 pm

School: T50; East Coast
Rank: Top 1/3rd
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: No

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 1
# of Alternates: 0

Are these the lotto picks as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: T50; East Coast
Rank: Top 1/3rd
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: No

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 1
# of Alternates: 0

Are these the lotto picks as well?


Lottery has not run yet, I believe that runs next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 pm

Just a word to the wise regarding the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair -- I found it to be a tough career fair for getting callbacks. In 2011 and applying for IP litigation jobs, I think I got 7 screeners and 1 callback. At the Loyola Patent Fair, I think I got like 16-17 interviews and 9-10 callbacks. This is, of course, anecdata, as they say but from talking to friends, this seemed to be a consistent pattern.

Thus, if you're wondering whether it's worthwhile to go out of your way to come to this fair, I'd say probably not worth it. That being said, if you're going to be in the area anyway (e.g., it's your hometown or you go to law school in the area), you have nothing to lose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a word to the wise regarding the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair -- I found it to be a tough career fair for getting callbacks. In 2011 and applying for IP litigation jobs, I think I got 7 screeners and 1 callback. At the Loyola Patent Fair, I think I got like 16-17 interviews and 9-10 callbacks. This is, of course, anecdata, as they say but from talking to friends, this seemed to be a consistent pattern.

Thus, if you're wondering whether it's worthwhile to go out of your way to come to this fair, I'd say probably not worth it. That being said, if you're going to be in the area anyway (e.g., it's your hometown or you go to law school in the area), you have nothing to lose.


Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I am exclusively targeting the Bay Area and and have landed a handful of interviews at BADF. I am also doing PLIP. PLIP preselects aren't out yet (they are due this Friday) but I was wondering if there are firms that have preselected me for both BADF and PLIP where should I interview with them? On the one hand BADF is about a week and a half earlier than PLIP but on the other you and many others have indicated that BADF is much harder to turn into an offer!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a word to the wise regarding the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair -- I found it to be a tough career fair for getting callbacks. In 2011 and applying for IP litigation jobs, I think I got 7 screeners and 1 callback. At the Loyola Patent Fair, I think I got like 16-17 interviews and 9-10 callbacks. This is, of course, anecdata, as they say but from talking to friends, this seemed to be a consistent pattern.

Thus, if you're wondering whether it's worthwhile to go out of your way to come to this fair, I'd say probably not worth it. That being said, if you're going to be in the area anyway (e.g., it's your hometown or you go to law school in the area), you have nothing to lose.

Does doing this fair and getting dinged bone you for campus OCI? I would hate to get dinged for Cooley, WSGR, or Fenwick and then lose the opportunity to interview for them on campus.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does doing this fair and getting dinged bone you for campus OCI? I would hate to get dinged for Cooley, WSGR, or Fenwick and then lose the opportunity to interview for them on campus.

A firm is almost assuredly not going to do a screener twice, unless something falls through the cracks.

My general advice is that career fair screeners are generally more difficult to convert to callbacks. If you are in a position to be picky, you should try to interview at your higher preference firms at OCI. If you are not in a position to be picky, don't worry about that and instead focusing on getting as many screeners as you can find.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:40 pm

School: UCLA/USC/UCI
Rank: Median
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 21
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 0

For pre-selects, once you accept the invitation are you supposed to then schedule a time for the interview? I was under the impression that you were supposed to sign up for a specific timeslot after accepting the invitation. The website and Symplicity offer little information about the logistics--any help would be appreciated!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does doing this fair and getting dinged bone you for campus OCI? I would hate to get dinged for Cooley, WSGR, or Fenwick and then lose the opportunity to interview for them on campus.

A firm is almost assuredly not going to do a screener twice, unless something falls through the cracks.

My general advice is that career fair screeners are generally more difficult to convert to callbacks. If you are in a position to be picky, you should try to interview at your higher preference firms at OCI. If you are not in a position to be picky, don't worry about that and instead focusing on getting as many screeners as you can find.

Well shit, there goes half of my list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:According to last year's thread the maximum number of interviews one can accept is 10. Is that true for this year too? More importantly does anybody know where does it say so? Can't find this info anywhere on their website.

I think 10 screeners is already too much for 1 day tbh. I'm thinking about dropping some just so I'm not dead by the second half of the day.

Shirosham

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Shirosham » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: UCLA/USC/UCI
Rank: Median
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 21
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 0

For pre-selects, once you accept the invitation are you supposed to then schedule a time for the interview? I was under the impression that you were supposed to sign up for a specific timeslot after accepting the invitation. The website and Symplicity offer little information about the logistics--any help would be appreciated!

I think we're waiting on the lotto picks and then a schedule is set.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Shirosham wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: UCLA/USC/UCI
Rank: Median
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 21
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 0

For pre-selects, once you accept the invitation are you supposed to then schedule a time for the interview? I was under the impression that you were supposed to sign up for a specific timeslot after accepting the invitation. The website and Symplicity offer little information about the logistics--any help would be appreciated!

I think we're waiting on the lotto picks and then a schedule is set.


That makes sense. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:17 pm

School: T14
Rank: Top 30-40%
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 10
# of Alternates: 3

Does the lotto occur before the alternate period? Also did anyone hear from fenwick or ropes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: T14
Rank: Top 30-40%
Ties to Bay Area?: Strong
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 10
# of Alternates: 3

Does the lotto occur before the alternate period? Also did anyone hear from fenwick or ropes?

preselect for fenwick and alternate for ropes

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:50 pm

School: CCN
Rank: Lower 1/3 probably
Ties to Bay Area?: No
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: No

# of bids: 17
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 1

Anonymous User
Posts: 316666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Career Fair 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

School: CCN
Rank: Bottom 1/3
Ties to Bay Area?: No
IP?: Yes (EE/CS, but no WE)
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 19
# of Pre-Selects: 5
# of Alternates: 0



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.