Best way to apply for NYC 2L SA Positions for 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best way to apply for NYC 2L SA Positions for 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:42 pm

()()()()()()()()()
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Re: Best way to apply for NYC 2L SA Positions for 2017

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Wtf. Apply everywhere until you get a job. You are not in position to be choosy. And it's not a great economy.

OneShot2009

New

Postby OneShot2009 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:17 pm

cron1834 wrote:Wtf. Apply everywhere until you get a job. You are not in position to be choosy. And it's not a great economy.

Uhhh...what I said was "With so many firms, do I just apply to everything and cross my fingers I get an interview despite all the other qualified applicants going for the same spots? Or do I apply more selectively?"

What about that makes me sound like I think I am in a position to be choosy?

What I am asking is if it is realistic and acceptable to apply to every NYC firm with a 2L summer associate program or if there is a better way to go about it. The advice of career services was to make up a list of where I want to apply and bring that to when we meet next, and I'm unsure how to make a list that isn't just every single firm in NYC that litigates.

hairbear7

Silver

Postby hairbear7 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Apply everywhere, secure offers, and then you can pick

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Yes, it is acceptable and realistic to apply everywhere.

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a student at a private, lower-second tier Upstate NY law school (rising 2L.) Currently in the top 3% of the class with a 3.75 and will be on law review, moot court, and a moot court team next year. This summer I am working for a federal magistrate judge.

I want to start applying for summer associate position for next summer in NYC, knowing that I am seriously interested in litigation. I am from around the city originally. I know a few participate in our OCI but most do not.

With so many firms, do I just apply to everything and cross my fingers I get an interview despite all the other qualified applicants going for the same spots? Or do I apply more selectively?

Any places I should definitely apply to? Definitely avoid? Thanks!

If you're mass mailing, you should mass mail anywhere you'd want to work. It's basically just a matter of mail merging a bunch of cover letters and address labels. You should get your pick of firms that come to your school's OCI. I think there's only one school that fits your description, and I know people who got biglaw from there so you should be in a good position with your grades.

I think what is confusing about your post is that you seem to be making an assumption that there is some sort of trade-off in applying everywhere that led you to think you might need to be more selective. Given that mass mailing is close to free, there's no downside to sending out applications everywhere.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 pm

OneShot2009 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Wtf. Apply everywhere until you get a job. You are not in position to be choosy. And it's not a great economy.

Uhhh...what I said was "With so many firms, do I just apply to everything and cross my fingers I get an interview despite all the other qualified applicants going for the same spots? Or do I apply more selectively?"

What about that makes me sound like I think I am in a position to be choosy?

What I am asking is if it is realistic and acceptable to apply to every NYC firm with a 2L summer associate program or if there is a better way to go about it. The advice of career services was to make up a list of where I want to apply and bring that to when we meet next, and I'm unsure how to make a list that isn't just every single firm in NYC that litigates.

Uhhhh... anything other than just applying everywhere would be monumentally stupid. Your other stated alternative is picking and choosing where to apply. That means being choosy and would be stupid. You're at a disadvantage bc most firms don't have a history of hiring out of your school. But, your grades are tippy top, so who knows. Just apply indiscriminately.

Not sure what's hard here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Is there any advantage to applying early? I know applications are open now - I'm still waiting for law review invitations to be mailed out. Is applying in two weeks once they are sent going to hurt my chances?

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any advantage to applying early? I know applications are open now - I'm still waiting for law review invitations to be mailed out. Is applying in two weeks once they are sent going to hurt my chances?

I would wait, especially coming from your school, it'll be better to check all the boxes so your resume doesn't get tossed while you're waiting to update it. Mid-July is fine for mass mailing.

Return to “Legal Employment�