Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327333
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Curious about my prospects at decent employment. I am just outside the top 15% at a TTT looking at the Midwest markets like kansas city, Omaha, st louis etc. I'm currently a 2L summer associate at a firm that hasn't had one in years, so I am not sure that I am guaranteed an offer even if I kill it this summer. If I don't get an offer, am I pretty much closed out of mid to large sized firms?

AFS

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Prospects

Postby AFS » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:56 pm

No clue, and I wouldn't be surprised if most others on here did either. Try talking to your CSO?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327333
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Curious about my prospects at decent employment. I am just outside the top 15% at a TTT looking at the Midwest markets like kansas city, Omaha, st louis etc. I'm currently a 2L summer associate at a firm that hasn't had one in years, so I am not sure that I am guaranteed an offer even if I kill it this summer. If I don't get an offer, am I pretty much closed out of mid to large sized firms?


No. Plenty hire 3Ls. Just massmail like crazy, work your network, and have a backup plan. Is your TTT a regional school? And, more specifically, what are your goals?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327333
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No. Plenty hire 3Ls. Just massmail like crazy, work your network, and have a backup plan. Is your TTT a regional school? And, more specifically, what are your goals?


my school is regional. I am most interested in employment, labor, and class action. Defense side. Firms like Littler Mendelson, or Jackson Lewis that specialize in employment law would be ideal. I would really prefer a bigger firm.

How soon should I start mass mailing? I am on my school's law journal editorial board, and have been published, but how else can I make up for not being in the top 5-10%?

didntretake

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Prospects

Postby didntretake » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Here's my advice in order of importance:

1. Do everything you can to get a job with the firm you are working for now. This seems more possible than anything else and will be a good result. You can always try and lateral to a firm you like more later.

2. Mass mail like crazy. I'm not sure when, hopefully others can advise better on timing.

3. Crush your 3L grades and move up in your class rank. This will help everything including both of the above. Some people will inevitably slack off during 3L and it will be an opportunity for you. Choose your courses wisely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327333
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No. Plenty hire 3Ls. Just massmail like crazy, work your network, and have a backup plan. Is your TTT a regional school? And, more specifically, what are your goals?


my school is regional. I am most interested in employment, labor, and class action. Defense side. Firms like Littler Mendelson, or Jackson Lewis that specialize in employment law would be ideal. I would really prefer a bigger firm.

How soon should I start mass mailing? I am on my school's law journal editorial board, and have been published, but how else can I make up for not being in the top 5-10%?


I don't want to lead you astray as far as the timing of mass mailing - my anecdote is only that my firm has hired 3Ls to work post-bar in the fall. I would definitely start mass mailing by August/September, and probably earlier, but again, I'd look for someone who has done the 3L job hunt before for specifics. Your CSO may be helpful for that.

Honestly, not being in the top 10% can make things difficult, but not impossible. Really it comes down to networking (which I know feels like the most unhelpful advice, but really work whatever network you can), and playing the odds by reaching out to as many firms as possible. If you can, expand the cities you're wiling to work in (e.g. if you're from KU, don't rule out some of the smaller midsized firms in Wichita or Topeka). Of course, didntretake's advice is credited here - work your bum off this summer, so at the very least you can get some of the attorneys to go to bat for you in your job search.

I wish I could be more help. Best of luck!



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.