Need advice - want to change offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice - want to change offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:58 am

Hi all - nice to be back on TLS after all of this time.

I'm a summer at a mid-sized firm with several offices. I've been here about a month. The main office where I work is about an hour outside of a very major market. Unfortunately, there's no real public transportation to get there, so I had to rent a car & deal with all of those expenses. Getting back to where I live (in said major market) is brutal - it can take anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours every day. Getting to work isn't so bad - maybe 40 minutes or so. It's also costly (this will probably out the location, but there's tolls each way).

Because it is a mid-size firm, every attorney is very approachable, including the named partners. During an event with several associates this week, when I told them I lived in the major market city, they said that I should approach one of the named partners and ask if I could go there. In the major market city, they do have summers - and one of them is leaving - so there would theoretically be a spot available.

I do really enjoy everyone I work with at this office, and the work itself, but the commute is a bit of a deal-breaker. The major market location also has a practice area I'm very interested in that doesn't exist at this office. I would really like to work there rather than here. Should I go talk to the named partner about moving? What should I say? I'm very afraid of this being taken the wrong way (i.e. not liking working here, not liking the people, etc.)

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: Need advice - want to change offices

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:34 am

Just don't be an a weirdo about it. Go up to the partner and say I love everyone here but I've heard there may be an opening in the other office, is it possible to move there for XYZ reasons. Emphasis staying within the firm b/c you like it so much. Unless the person is an ass they won't take it personally at all, but just prepare yourself for the answer being a no. If they say no and you do really enjoy the firm and the work, the easy answer is to move. No one is forcing you to work 2 hours away but yourself in that case.

mushybrain

Bronze

Re: Need advice - want to change offices

Postby mushybrain » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:03 am

I'd focus on the practice area thing, because my reaction to the travel stuff is "...why wouldn't you move closer?" All the other associates figure out how to get there and make it work, so I think you'd just sound like a whiner.

Return to “Legal Employment�