Do staffing agencies/head hunters charge applicants a fee?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do staffing agencies/head hunters charge applicants a fee?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm

or do they charge the firm if you are hired? just got a call from a staffing agency rep who offered to submit my app to some firm he thinks would be a great fit for me.

recent grad here so plz forgive the noob question.

Anonymous User

Re: Do staffing agencies/head hunters charge applicants a fee?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:55 pm

No. If they successfully place you they will charge your new firm a fee, I think it's usually between 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary, with half due immediately and half due after twelve months. Depending on the firm, the fee may make you less competitive than someone who directly applied.

Be careful before working through a recruiter. Some are good, have access to non-public postings, and can immediately get you an interviewer wherever you apply. Others will do nothing more than send your resume to every firm hiring in an attempt to be the "first in the door" to collect the fee. Do your research and make sure you're working with someone who has been in the business for a long time, and has a website and preferably a physical office, rather than someone just working from home with a gmail account and a cellphone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No. If they successfully place you they will charge your new firm a fee, I think it's usually between 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary, with half due immediately and half due after twelve months. Depending on the firm, the fee may make you less competitive than someone who directly applied.

Be careful before working through a recruiter. Some are good, have access to non-public postings, and can immediately get you an interviewer wherever you apply. Others will do nothing more than send your resume to every firm hiring in an attempt to be the "first in the door" to collect the fee. Do your research and make sure you're working with someone who has been in the business for a long time, and has a website and preferably a physical office, rather than someone just working from home with a gmail account and a cellphone.

OP here. Thanks for the informative post. I really appreciate it. So this guy and like a few others own the staffing agency and operate out of a high rise building office in downtown full time. Seems legit. my concern was exactly the bolded part. It's a job at a small firm that claims to pay "up to" a little shy of 100K. Which means they could also offer 60-70K. I was really hoping to make AT LEAST 100K. If I can find the job posting online by myself would it be unethical to apply directly? I don't want to have to lose my salary potential considering it is a small firm we're talking about and probably dont have money to throw around. on the flip side, they did hire a staffing firm so they knew what they were getting into.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No. If they successfully place you they will charge your new firm a fee, I think it's usually between 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary, with half due immediately and half due after twelve months. Depending on the firm, the fee may make you less competitive than someone who directly applied.

OP here. Thanks for the informative post. I really appreciate it. So this guy and like a few others own the staffing agency and operate out of a high rise building office in downtown full time. Seems legit. my concern was exactly the bolded part. It's a job at a small firm that claims to pay "up to" a little shy of 100K. Which means they could also offer 60-70K. I was really hoping to make AT LEAST 100K. If I can find the job posting online by myself would it be unethical to apply directly? I don't want to have to lose my salary potential considering it is a small firm we're talking about and probably dont have money to throw around. on the flip side, they did hire a staffing firm so they knew what they were getting into.

My advice was mostly related to market-paying biglaw; I don't know much about recruiting for smaller firms. Regardless, I think if you have worked with the recruiter (i.e. responded to their email or called them) and they told you about the opening, then it's a tad unethical to apply directly, though others may disagree. But if all they've done is email you, then it's fine to go ahead and find the posting on your own and apply directly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm

OP here. the recruiter called me last week to talk and the conversation was mostly about my qualifications. he did tell me basic info about the firm and the size. If I can find the posting online myself I will respond directly to it but if I can't I can have the recruiter send it in. Is there any ethical or liability issues for skipping the recruiter if i find the posting online?

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they successfully place you they will charge your new firm a fee, I think it's usually between 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary, with half due immediately and half due after twelve months.

Man, I should have ordered all the food and drinks when the recruiters that placed me took me out from celebrate. I had no idea that was the range.

Br3v

Gold

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:05 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If they successfully place you they will charge your new firm a fee, I think it's usually between 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary, with half due immediately and half due after twelve months.

Man, I should have ordered all the food and drinks when the recruiters that placed me took me out from celebrate. I had no idea that was the range.

This seems crazy high. I'm skeptical

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Br3v wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

This seems crazy high. I'm skeptical

I'm skeptical too. I was thinking around 5k to maybe 25k if it's an important role, which thankfully is not 1/3 my salary

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Yea, I thought it was like 1-2 months salary.

Magic Hat

Bronze

Postby Magic Hat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:09 pm

IME it's about 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary. Keep in mind these guys get paid a very low base or even just a draw and probably see 10 percent of the fee.

If you are on the fence and they are hungry they have been known to give you a small cut.

haewon225

New

Postby haewon225 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Last edited by haewon225 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Op here. I have not yet agreed with the staffing agent to have my resume sent out. Assuming he did not send it out against my consent would it be unethical to reach out to the firm directly?

Return to “Legal Employment�