I dislike the work in biglaw. Any tips on 3L Non-legal recruitment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FluidMosaic

New

I dislike the work in biglaw. Any tips on 3L Non-legal recruitment?

Postby FluidMosaic » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Any inputs from people who have done full-time non-legal recruitment?

I'd love inputs from people who did finance, consulting, or f500 recruitment.
Last edited by FluidMosaic on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: Any tips on 3L Non-legal recruitment.

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Sounds like a wide topic. Anything more specific?

FluidMosaic

New

Re: Any tips on 3L Non-legal recruitment.

Postby FluidMosaic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Sounds like a wide topic. Anything more specific?

I'm open to anything that deals with numbers.

Has anyone done undergrad recruitment?

Consulting, finance? Real estate development?

spyke123

Bronze

Re: I dislike the work in biglaw. Any tips on 3L Non-legal recruitment?

Postby spyke123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:34 am

prep for case interviews and apply to consulting firms via massmail/3L OCI.

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 am

spyke123 wrote:prep for case interviews and apply to consulting firms via massmail/3L OCI.

Have you gone through the process?

EvelynS

Bronze

Postby EvelynS » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 am

I did not go through the process re: management consulting, but I know that McK/BCG/Bain recruit JDs as full-time associates. Go to these firms' websites and see the deadlines. I believe that if you want to join them full time next year (2017), then you should apply by August. If I am not mistaken they do all their interview rounds in late August/early Fall. As the previous poster mentioned, prep for case interviews. These interviews are definitely different from law firm interviews. Depending on what your pre-law W/E was, you may have a higher chance of getting your foot at the door. General TLS wisdom is that unless you went to Y/S/H, the chances of actually getting an offer from those mgmgt consulting firms are low. I don't know anything about your background, but you have plenty of time to prep for case interviews. If you go to T10 and have a decent LSAT score, I have heard that it is a very high chance to get invited for the first round of interviews. And then it all depends on how well you are prepared for their interview process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 am

FluidMosaic wrote:
spyke123 wrote:prep for case interviews and apply to consulting firms via massmail/3L OCI.

Have you gone through the process?

I went through the process, though not at 3L OCI. If there's a resume drop at OCI do that, otherwise having a referral is the next best option, and then just website submission (which in this rare instance can actually get you an interview). Be warned though that the only firms that really hire JDs, and even then in fairly limited numbers, are McKinsey and BCG. The other respectable firms might have a stray JD here and there but those two are your best shots assuming your grades / resume are up to par.

The interview is both difficult and easy. Nothing is inherently hard about it, but there's a very specific format, both for fit and cases, that you need to generally follow. You need to know basic mental math cold, which is easy until you have someone staring at you across the table waiting impatiently. You also need to have some rudimentary business knowledge. There are people at the top business schools who strike out at top management consulting firms even though they landed more interviews than you did and did more prep than you did, so it's not really an option I'd bank on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 am

Scope out the B-school recruitment schedule. I know at my T20 some of the Big3 come one campus to interview undergrads/MBAs, if you can somehow work yourself in that would obviously be great. I also know that at least BGC has JD recruiting events over the summer (or did last year), so check their events and see if there's one in your city.

Other than that, I know some JDs who have gotten access to the MBA job board by just asking. That means you can apply to all the same jobs as the MBAs, but then you obviously have to compete with them. This could be good or bad depending on which school (business or law) is better.

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:47 am

Does anyone have any inputs on doing undergrad/mba finance recruiting or MBA leadership development programs?

Do people know if Accenture strategy or Deloitte S&O takes JDs?

What are the offer processes for MBB? 2 rounds, 3 rounds?
Last edited by FluidMosaic on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 am

FluidMosaic wrote:Does anyone have any inputs on doing undergrad/mba finance recruiting or MBA leadership development programs?

I'm actually pretty far along on MBB recruiting so I'm now looking to go all in on doing non-legal.

I know of JDs who have gone into Accenture/Deloitte etc, but depends on WE. Are you k-JD?

I've recruited for finance jobs, they don't care as much about WE but you need to be able to do the math. (DCF models, move through the financial statement etc) and you'll be quizzed on this at the interviews

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FluidMosaic wrote:Does anyone have any inputs on doing undergrad/mba finance recruiting or MBA leadership development programs?

I'm actually pretty far along on MBB recruiting so I'm now looking to go all in on doing non-legal.

I know of JDs who have gone into Accenture/Deloitte etc, but depends on WE. Are you k-JD?

I've recruited for finance jobs, they don't care as much about WE but you need to be able to do the math. (DCF models, move through the financial statement etc) and you'll be quizzed on this at the interviews

Yeah I'm K-jd. Do Accenture and Deloitte care more than MBB on work experience? I have decent finance credentials though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:15 pm

FluidMosaic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah I'm K-jd. Do Accenture and Deloitte care more than MBB on work experience? I have decent finance credentials though.

I think all consulting cares about WE to an extent, but if you're already in the recruiting pipeline for MBB your resume is probably good enough to overcome it. If I were you I'd start looking for Deloitte/Accenture people to contact and network with. Getting a recruiter to look at your resume is the hardest part of recruiting imo. Once someone puts you into the recruiting pipeline, you can convince people to ignore WE.

The good news is that unlike law, consulting hires more people for FT than for summer. So if you're looking to go into FT, look up some alum or whatever on linkedin and start messaging.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FluidMosaic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think all consulting cares about WE to an extent, but if you're already in the recruiting pipeline for MBB your resume is probably good enough to overcome it. If I were you I'd start looking for Deloitte/Accenture people to contact and network with. Getting a recruiter to look at your resume is the hardest part of recruiting imo. Once someone puts you into the recruiting pipeline, you can convince people to ignore WE.

The good news is that unlike law, consulting hires more people for FT than for summer. So if you're looking to go into FT, look up some alum or whatever on linkedin and start messaging.

Did you do finance recruiting right out of law school?

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Whoops thats me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FluidMosaic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Jd/MBA who made the switch to finance, so I recruited for finance and am spending my last summer (2 previous in law) in finance. For what it's worth, I feel more invested in my work now. I really like going out and finding promising things to invest in, and I feel like I'm actually impacting a deal, unlike in law when I was just looking at contracts the finance people had chosen terms for.

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FluidMosaic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Jd/MBA who made the switch to finance, so I recruited for finance and am spending my last summer (2 previous in law) in finance. For what it's worth, I feel more invested in my work now. I really like going out and finding promising things to invest in, and I feel like I'm actually impacting a deal, unlike in law when I was just looking at contracts the finance people had chosen terms for.

Are you doing PE or more of a private office? Was this from HWS level of schools or like a T20? Just curious to see if I could do a similar leap since I was considering doing an MBA as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:25 am

If you are K-JD, then you probably don't understand that your job doesn't need to be perfect and psychically fufilling. 160K or 180K is a ton of money, and you will have a great network if you do that for a year or two. I would not pooh-pooh biglaw if you have the option. Also, if you think that consulting is that different than law, you're kidding yourself. Now you get to push paper and work late and deal with unreasonable clients, and you have to travel from Sun-THurs to Bumblec_ck. It's not better. Take the biglaw offer you have, and you can always lateral to a consulting firm in two years. Promise. I've seen tons of people do this.

FluidMosaic

New

Postby FluidMosaic » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are K-JD, then you probably don't understand that your job doesn't need to be perfect and psychically fufilling. 160K or 180K is a ton of money, and you will have a great network if you do that for a year or two. I would not pooh-pooh biglaw if you have the option. Also, if you think that consulting is that different than law, you're kidding yourself. Now you get to push paper and work late and deal with unreasonable clients, and you have to travel from Sun-THurs to Bumblec_ck. It's not better. Take the biglaw offer you have, and you can always lateral to a consulting firm in two years. Promise. I've seen tons of people do this.

I'm more interested in the exit options down the line, which are arguably much better functionality wise than going in house. I enjoyed finance focused work I did last summer much more than the legal work I'm doing now. Yes, I'll take my offer probably if it's the only thing I have but I don't see the issue with recruiting for non law if that's my goal after a firm.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Just curious, why go non-legal entirely? There's more to the law than just biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm

zot1 wrote:Just curious, why go non-legal entirely? There's more to the law than just biglaw.

I guess it's not totally out of the picture but I'm not really competitive for non-transactional roles which end up being primarily biglaw roles.

I'd definitely be open to litigation funding if it was an option.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:Just curious, why go non-legal entirely? There's more to the law than just biglaw.

I guess it's not totally out of the picture but I'm not really competitive for non-transactional roles which end up being primarily biglaw roles.

I'd definitely be open to litigation funding if it was an option.

Government agencies do a lot of transactional work, think government acquisitions. I would look into those jobs if you're interested.

Return to “Legal Employment�