OCI/Off-campus programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dr. Nefario

Gold

OCI/Off-campus programs

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 pm

If a firm does not allow multiple interviews, should you only apply to one office of the firm or apply to all still? If you get an screener in the market that isn't your target market, but you won't find out about the screeners in your target market for another couple of weeks, what should you do?

Anonymous User

Re: OCI/Off-campus programs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Bump for OP cause curious too

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:54 pm

I'm gonna bump this and hope it becomes a general OCI FAQ type thread.

My question is, if we're applying to a city with which we have no tides, would it be alright to just leave off the "Why our city?" in the cover letter? Anything I write seems to be stilted, disingenuous, or written by a 5th grader. In an interview, can we just be candid and say "look I've never been to your city, it sounds nice, and I care much more about the work I'm doing than the city I'm in. Your firm is the bomb, and I would be very happy settling down in a city that (describe characteristics of firm's city)."

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Postby SemiReverseSplinter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:25 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm gonna bump this and hope it becomes a general OCI FAQ type thread.

My question is, if we're applying to a city with which we have no tides, would it be alright to just leave off the "Why our city?" in the cover letter? Anything I write seems to be stilted, disingenuous, or written by a 5th grader. In an interview, can we just be candid and say "look I've never been to your city, it sounds nice, and I care much more about the work I'm doing than the city I'm in. Your firm is the bomb, and I would be very happy settling down in a city that (describe characteristics of firm's city)."

Yeah you probably don't want to stretch some story about why you love the city despite no ties. That always sounds stupid. The problem with the alternative (emphasize the quality of work rather than the location) is that the office will likely get dozens of applicants saying the exact same thing. The firm has no reason to think you are any more genuine than any other applicant about sticking around. The presence of ties provides firms with assurances beyond what you tell them in an interview. So, in light of that, I think you are right to not include a stupid pitch about loving the city, but just know it will hard to be distinguish yourself from other out-of-own applicants.

This advice does not apply to nyc. It's generally easier to get there without any ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:50 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm gonna bump this and hope it becomes a general OCI FAQ type thread.

My firm would look at this story as bullshit, and definitely most secondary market firms will do the same. It's very difficult to not care about the city your in. And remember - firms' number one goal is acquire a healthy crop of homegrown midlevels. If you make it to year 4 in Seattle Biglaw before lateraling out, that might have been a very valiant effort on your part, but your firm will ultimately be disappointed with that outcome.

I know a few people who lied about their ties at OCI. It never come back to bite them, but they rarely benefitted from it. That being said I think it's probably a sketchy way to begin your legal career. Stretching ties is definitely OK (i.e., making it seem like you're really close to your Houston uncle or as if your central Florida family is from the "Miami area"). Also, there are some honest ways to really beef up ties. If you majored in something energy-related or even just wrote a senior year paper in energy then you could potentially leverage that into Texas Biglaw if you're convincing.

In reality, there is a close to 0 chance you can get BigLaw in a secondary market that requires ties. I had great grades from P and the only jobs I got were in primary markets and my home market. Unless you're like top-third from a T14/top of the class + LR at a regional, along with great interviewing skills to boot, its not gonna happen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:40 am

My firm will take super qualified candidates on no real ties. For example a top 5% T14 candidate who isn't weird could probably land Chicago, Bay area, DC, and Ny

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 am

My firm will take super qualified candidates on no real ties. For example a top 5% T14 candidate who isn't weird could probably land Chicago, Bay area, DC, and NY so there has to be some reason they want to come to this city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 am

My firm will take super qualified candidates on no real ties. For example a top 5% T14 candidate who isn't weird could probably land Chicago, Bay area, DC, and NY so there has to be some reason they want to come to this city.

Return to “Legal Employment�