Froze out - what to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smaug

Diamond

Re: Froze out - what to do?

Postby smaug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you really want advice, OP, crazy stories about emailing facts about Putin aren't helping you. (Which isn't to say that you have to share anything you're not comfortable with, of course - I'm not saying you have to say anything more about the bad review.)

There's a 0% chance the bad review carried any weight. I can't go into why without being fact specific, but the gist of it is there was an assignment meant for 3 or 4 people only assigned to one, and then accidentally throwing the associate under the bus only to have that associate write the review. This only happens if you don't understand that law firms operate as a pyramid model, and is easily fixable. The question was so condescending and indicative of someone looking to say "the problem is you suck" so there was no sense in having a serious discussion.

Based on the reviews it's much likelier the work product made it look like I'd hit the ground running and be a billing machine, which led to my being getting too much work too quickly, and the skills needed for the intellectually stimulating work summers get not crossing over to the work junior associates do. There's also probably something lacking in how I present myself, because the feedback generally consisted of the reviewer being surprised, and in one instance shocked by the work product relative to expectations. On paper, turning in good work product shouldn't have been surprising so I'm obviously not coming across as intelligent, which is probably related to upbringing and personality. Most of the people I worked with as a summer have left, and most of my work has come from the same individual who I worked with as a summer. I've reached a point where I've basically taught myself about 3 years of material, but it's all academic and I need experience. I don't need an equal opportunity, but am still hoping that eventually I'll be treated as a boxer with one arm tied behind their back, which is all I need.
this seems kinda delusional op

Did you give a real mea culpa after fucking the thing up and redemonstrated some pain tolerance? Seems to work ime

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:46 pm

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you really want advice, OP, crazy stories about emailing facts about Putin aren't helping you. (Which isn't to say that you have to share anything you're not comfortable with, of course - I'm not saying you have to say anything more about the bad review.)

There's a 0% chance the bad review carried any weight. I can't go into why without being fact specific, but the gist of it is there was an assignment meant for 3 or 4 people only assigned to one, and then accidentally throwing the associate under the bus only to have that associate write the review. This only happens if you don't understand that law firms operate as a pyramid model, and is easily fixable. The question was so condescending and indicative of someone looking to say "the problem is you suck" so there was no sense in having a serious discussion.

Based on the reviews it's much likelier the work product made it look like I'd hit the ground running and be a billing machine, which led to my being getting too much work too quickly, and the skills needed for the intellectually stimulating work summers get not crossing over to the work junior associates do. There's also probably something lacking in how I present myself, because the feedback generally consisted of the reviewer being surprised, and in one instance shocked by the work product relative to expectations. On paper, turning in good work product shouldn't have been surprising so I'm obviously not coming across as intelligent, which is probably related to upbringing and personality. Most of the people I worked with as a summer have left, and most of my work has come from the same individual who I worked with as a summer. I've reached a point where I've basically taught myself about 3 years of material, but it's all academic and I need experience. I don't need an equal opportunity, but am still hoping that eventually I'll be treated as a boxer with one arm tied behind their back, which is all I need.

Did you give a real mea culpa after fucking the thing up and redemonstrated some pain tolerance? Seems to work ime

I mean there was also a little bit of unluckiness involved too. For example, I don't have a working phone so the calls generally don't come in or we can't hear one another. If I know a call is coming I could generally go outside, and use my cell phone. There were also major computer issues that would corrupt files, and I bought a new computer but everyone gets delayed due to the technology we have - it was more just a 2-3 hour thing per day for me due to the standard 30-60 minutes. Buying a new computer helped, but when you explain to somebody you had to retype a memo 3 times they may feel bad, but ultimately you're remembered as the person who took four hours to type a 4 page document. If I had purchased a computer and phone system coming in most of the early issues which were technology, not law related wouldn't have happened. To the extent I have a bad reputation, it isn't law related, but related to taking too long to write signature pages, e-mailing files containing viruses, etc.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Ok this is weird trolling idgi but good luck have fun

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:19 pm

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not delusional. I think that based on interviews, I was likely perceived as having 0 partnership potential but the robot who will bill 2500 hours a year for 5 years or so and then be pushed out. I think the combination of grades while working with being humble painted me as an intense worker bee who did nothing but work when the reality was I was as lazy as everyone else, but was smart and lucky and probably would've fit in better at a place where intensity is looked down on.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm

wut

chem!

Platinum

Re: Freezed out - what to do?

Postby chem! » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I wouldn't staff an associate who used the word "freezed" either.

My first thought, too.

"Froze out" isn't much better though.

The incorrect grammar in the thread title was what drew me in here. Lord have mercy.

ETA: the syntax in the follow-ups is no better. This could be a contributing factor, OP.

GreenEggs

Gold

Postby GreenEggs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:21 pm

They asked me to stop e-mailing the partner a week in, which was the bad review.

I refuse to believe people like you exist in the world
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaysta

Bronze

Re: Freezed out - what to do?

Postby kaysta » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:02 am

smaug wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I wouldn't staff an associate who used the word "freezed" either.

My first thought, too.

"Froze out" isn't much better though.

LOL

"Frozen," OP. "Frozen." Third time's the charm!

There's a transisitivity issue there but not shocked you don't quite grasp that

Its a participle here, used idiomatically
in best usage thread shd be titled "OP go home yr drunk as fuck

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:21 am

OP cant be real

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:17 am

smaug wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:"I think my boss is about to freeze me out."

"I can't believe she froze me out."

"That employee has been frozen out."

I'm assuming the thread title was referring to the latter.

I'm saying "frozen" is passive and weird and "froze" is normally intransitive so people don't have great words for a past tense for a direct transitive action of freezing, probably because we don't directly freeze things.

Except me. I'm Mr. Freeze.

let it goooooo, let it goooooooo

Return to “Legal Employment�